1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's put up or shut up time for Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tecolote, Dec 7, 2012.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.........except I'd add that we've been a .500 team for the last FIFTEEN years. As for this season, this is what Jerrah and his merry band of idiots in the front office will blame their losing record on: injuries. It's SO much bigger than injuries, but it's a crutch they can use successfully to fend off accurate criticism of their total incompetence. THe beat goes on......
  2. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,670 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Some folks just go from thread to thread spreading negativity and its really old and ridiculous. Geez!!! If you're that miserable with the team, JJ, JG, and the organization, stop following the team. Its just that simple. Spare us all with the constant whinning and moaning about the past 15yrs. OMG!!!!! :rolleyes:
  3. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys @ Giants (7-3 Giants) Final Score 24-17 Cowboys
    Cowboys @ Seahawks (13-7 Seahawks) Final Score 27-7 Seahawks
    Bucs @ Cowboys (10-7 Cowboys) Final Score 16-10 Cowboys
    Bears @ Cowboys (10-7 Bears) Final Score 34-18 Bears
    Cowboys @ Ravens (17-10 Ravens) Final Score 31-29 Ravens
    Cowboys @ Ravens (7-3 Carolina) Final Score 19-14 Cowboys
    Giants @ Cowboys (23-10 Giants) Final Score 29-24 Giants
    Cowboys @ Falcolns (6-6 Tied) Final Score 19-13 Falcolns
    Cowboys @ Eagles (10-7 Cowboys) Final Score 38-23 Cowboys
    Browns @ Cowboys (13-0 Browns) Final Score 23-20 Cowboys
    Redskins @ Cowboys (28-3 Redskins) Final Score 38-31 Redskins
    Eagles @ Cowboys (17-10 Eagles) Final Score 38-33 Cowboys

Updated:
    Cowboys @ Bengals (13-10 Bengals)

Zero catches by Dez Bryant... Stupid Penalties as usual. Yet another game where we can not obtain a lead at half. 11 of 13 games we have not had the lead at halftime. As well at this point we might as well just rest Bryant till the 2nd half since our OC/HC/Handicap refuses to try and get creative to get Bryant involved.

For those who like to give excuses with injuries, what is the excuse for the Seahawks game? Bears? Ravens? We hardly were at a larger injury disadvantage than the teams we played. Our disadvantage is clock mismanagement and poor choice of play calls and an overwhelming lack of preparedness, hence our lack of success in the first half of games.

Garrett was part of the reason for Wade's 1-6 start, it's time we cut our losses with this administration, and bring in someone who is not part of the problem.

We've scored 89 points in the first half of games. We have had 168 scored on us.

All Process and No Progress. Anyone but Garrett for 2013.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    Well, I'm convinced.
  5. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He wouldn't offer him the job now...
  6. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Giants Halftime Scores
    Cowboys @ Giants (7-3 Giants) Final Score 24-17 Cowboys
    Bucs @ Giants (24-13 Bucs) Final Score 41-34 Giants
    Giants @ Panthers (20-0 Giants) Final Score 36-7 Giants
    Giants @ Eagles (7-3 Eagles) Final Score 19-17 Eagles
    Browns @ Giants (27-17 Giants) Final Score 41-27 Giants
    Giants @ 49ers (10-3 Giants) Final Score 26-3 Giants
    Redskins @ Giants (13-13 Tied) Final Score 27-23 Giants
    Giants @ Cowboys (23-10 Giants) Final Score 29-24 Giants
    Steelers @ Giants (14-10 Giants) Final Score 24-20 Steelers
    Giants @ Bengals (17-6 Bengals) Final Score 31-13 Bengals
    Packers @ Giants (31-10 Giants) Final Score 38-10 Giants
    Giants @ Redskins (13-10 Giants) Final Score 17-16 Redskins

8 of 12 games they've led at halftime; they've won 5 of those 8, and also won a game that was tied at half.

They've gone into the half winning 4 times more times than Dallas...

We may be in striking distance but their method of winning seems much more sustainable than our method that gives a lead at halftime to the other team 85% of the time.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    At some point is someone going to point out how resilient this team has been, overcoming all kinds of things, on their way to winning 4 out of their last 5?

Or have all the good posters from this board been completely run off, and now it's simply for dimwits to collectively compare and contrast how much tonnages of sand they have trapped in the assorted nooks and crannies of their nether regions?
  8. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What they've overcome is bad coaching. Yet again we wait until the 4th Quarter to get Dez Bryant involved and what happens? Success...

We could outright smash teams if game planning and play calling was even half-decent. This is evidenced by the fact that only 2 of our 7 wins were we winning at the midpoint.

85% of the time we're losing at halftime. Garrett has always played games close, because he plays not to lose, which gets you his .500 winning percentage and close games no matter if we play a garbage team or a great team. Bengals dropped the ball, literally... this is the only reason we were able to overcome Garrett ignoring Bryant until the 4th Quarter.

This isn't some rebuild year, we have 2 legit WRs, HOF TE, a top flight QB, a RB who plays damn good. Yet we struggle to gain leads. Yes the OL isn't ideal, but it's not like the coaching is trying to cover up the weakness... we're afraid of screens, running on 3rd and 1, have to throw the majority of the 2nd half since we have a 85% chance to be losing at the start of it... These things don't bode well for a good OL more/less a make-shift one.

I bet our OL would fair quite a bit better should we have the lead going into the 2nd half for once.
  9. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Typical. lol
  10. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    While I give them credit, playing the Eagles twice, the Browns, and a Bengal team that couldn't catch a cold today (on either side of the ball) does wonders for a team's resilience.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Bet the Steelers wish it were as easy as your make it sound right now. How much did they lose to the Chargers by today? Who sucks more, Mike Tomlin or Dick LeBeau? Welcome to the NFL.

For the team to overcome what they overcame this weeked, with this mismash of spare parts and misfit toys playing defense (particularly after Claiborne went out ... we had friggin Robert Callowy and Sterling Moore out there, for Cripes Sakes) , to go on the road to beat a playoff caliber team is one of the best coaching jobs I've seen by a staff in recent memory. Talk about mental toughness.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    Does the phrase 'four out of five' hold any meaning for you? For reasons I can't quite understand, you seem to be under the impression that NFL games end at halftime. :)
  13. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,379 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    Other than Ryan giving up three points.:laugh2:
  14. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,262 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    Hats off to JG, his best coaching job of his career, I really hope they keep it going. :bow:
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If he's having to hold teams to under 20 points with Ernie Simms, Rob Calloway and Sterling Moore, I'll give him a pass.
  16. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    The Steelers lost a game they clearly looked past so Jason Garret is a good coach. Wait, what?

Like I said I give them credit especially for today. But for 3 quarters this team was badly outplayed and outcoached. If the Bengals WRs and CBs could catch we would have lost this going away, but because they let us hang around we got to do what we normally do against bad teams - go to hurry up and score a lot of points late.

They played 3 bad teams (1 twice) and a very borderline playoff contender. I'm happy we could squeek out wins against 4 of them, but the 5 games before that they weren't nearly as 'resilient' against Atlanta, NY, Chicago and Baltimore. Just pointing that out.
  17. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I will absolutely jump in to brag on this coaching staff right now.

This isn't exactly a perfect game. Things are going to go wrong. This team has had a ridiculous number of things go wrong, but they keep fighting and scrapping. I know some people think that just comes with the territory, but you would need to remember Wade Phillips here. I could show you several other teams that have quit too.

This team doesn't quit. That is leadership from players and coaches. They fight through injuries. They are playing with a JV team on defense. But here they are!

No doubt in my mind that Garrett has shown enough to stay on as the head coach. We can debate the merits of having a different play-caller or clock management, but Garrett is showing himself a leader of men. That matters.
  18. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    By no means do the games 'end' at half. I am simply projecting the statistic in order to lend credence to the thought that winning last second comeback style is more of an outlier and less the norm.

This 'strategy' of giving up the lead and making a comeback is good for movies, not for Super Bowls. I'll gladly be wrong, I simply do not see that if we continue to stumble into winning that we will be able to maintain our current level of mediocrity, more/less 'improve'.

It isn't a stretch to see that we are winning against the grain, instead of with it. Winning is winning, however continued success is what I desire in this team. Rather than being the outlier of it. If we can ride these 'exceptions' all the way then sweet, but it's hard to give credit to Garrett when he seemingly does not address the weakness in this team week after week.

What's frustrating is that it isn't a stretch to say we can beat any team any Sunday should we reduce the penalties and play to our strengths, however we somehow refuse to do these things until the 2nd half.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    And nobody was putting asterisks next to our losses when we were playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL the first half of the season, so it's no time to start putting asterisks next to wins now.

The Cowboys went through just about as difficult 3 days as a team can go through, and we went on the road and beat a winning team in December with the division hanging in the balance with Rob Calloway, Sterling Moore, Ernie Simms and Eric Frampton out on the field. There was a time when this board had enough smart posters where things like that got noticed and discussed, it's a shame they've all been run off and this place has just become a meaningless lower appendage measuring contest to brag about who's more emo, jaded and cynical than thou.
  20. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,379 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    I was kidding but we really don't need our DC helping the other team put points on the board.:banghead: