1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I've listened to Stephen Jones talk twice

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But Ive heard Phillips was such a better TE then Bennett :rolleyes:

I really hope we dont pick Fleener in the 2nd round....especially if we go defense with our first pick....I like to see if we could get a solid OL prospect.

I thought for sure with the FB we signed ....that we wouldnt see as much of 2 TE formations.

I would of just given 2.5 mil to Bennett for one year like the Giants did instead of wasting another 2nd round pick on a TE
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received

Yeah but he didn't want to be here. Cowboys matched New Yorks offer.

I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if the Giants get Fleener.
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    I had us taking Dwayne Allen in round 2 of my mock a few weeks back. Won't surprise me at all if we go TE early.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    The only tight end I would take in round 2 is Coby Fleener.

If we select anyone else (Dwayne Allen, Orson Charles) I will be extremely disappointed.

This team needs to get stronger in the trenches. Round 2 should be OL or DL.
  5. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,008 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Exactly.a simple cost benefit analysis should tell them its not worth drafting a backup TE(to.Witten!) Is not worth it in the 2nd rd when we have.so many holes to fill.this looks like its coming from garrett.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    Very true, excellent points. And great job with that research!

:bow:

But, I would say that New England has done it without short-changing themselves at other positions as they have maintained a high level of success during that time.

I would not consider the current Cowboys as having that luxury.
  7. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,078 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    No issues with a trade down into the early 20's and grabbing Fleener. Day 1 starter opp Witt and opens up the whole middle of the field. Offense becomes more prolific immediately. Def rnd 2 and 3 and we can come out of this draft with a minimum 2 starters and possibly 3.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones is a football savvy guy.

He won't be on the radio discussing possible targets for round 1.

We may well reach for a TE in round 4 or 5 but it won't be our top pick I promise you. They could have kept Bennett or overpaid for Kellen Davis had they chose to.
    That speak more to what they truly feel about back up TE then Stephen's pre-draft banter.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    People that take seriously any TE talk are winding themselves up. Dallas isn't drafting TE/RB early.

Those are smokescreens.

Dallas would certainly consider TE/RB at 45. But no earlier. Do you really believe Jerry allows them to draft anyone who can't sell the new Nike jersey??
  10. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I like some of the guys later in this draft. I don't really understand them putting a high value on Marty B and then turning around and drafting more of a receiving threat tight end. I don't think we see a TE drafted tell the 3rd or later.
  11. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stephen and Jerry dont evaluate talent.....

The listen to people around them....people who get paid to do that stuff.

I think alot of the stuff they spew on radio is just jibberish....
  12. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Then can you explain Quincy Carter, Felix Jones, Jason Williams, Robert Brewster, etc.? lol
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Pre JG... Lets see what the draft style will be now.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,273 Likes Received
    They have maintained a high level of success on the offense...their defense last year was not exactly stellar.

It seems they decide to draft on the idea of BPA or the idea that they want to keep the offense up and choose to concentrate more on that side of the ball.

That last draft is really crazy considering they had so many needs on defense yet they only drafted a total of three players on defense and instead decided to draft 2 RBs, A QB and yet ANOTHER TE even though they had Gronk at Hernandez.

So...Maybe, just maybe if we get fleener in the second, it might be because they think he is the BPA and they also want to further strengthen the offense.
    Now There are other areas I would rather address myself so we are in the same boat here, but there is also other things to consider and just because it might not be what we want does not automatically make it silly...although sometimes it is silly.:D
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    No comprendo... Are you saying the scouts and coaches couldn't have made those evaluations because they were bad? (Now Quincy was a JJ pick, we know that.)
  16. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    That's true. Let's hope those days are over!
  17. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    A TE in a very weak TE class. Our Front Office repeatedly/constantly leaves a lot to be desired to say the least.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    When you have a HOF QB you can get away with sucking mostly everywhere else. Ask the Colts.
  19. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If you told me I had 2 picks after #10 to make my offense better in the near and long term, Fleener would be one of the picks. You would get more dynamic plays and edge pass protection in a division of edge rushers from being in a base 2 tight end set than most other things you could do offensively.

I would certainly pick Fleener (plus an additional 2nd) and one of the second round guard/centers over 2 more interior linemen.

I'd rather go defense, but I get why we would want to add Fleener a 6-6 guy who can run a 4.5 and knows how to find holes in zones is pretty valuable.
  20. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Jerry chose Felix when there were higher RB's on the board. Strictly a Garrett/Jerry pick.

Jason Williams was a Wade Philips pick and Jerry listened to him. Jerry's fault. Wade isn't a scout.

Brewster? Who knows, but can our scouts really be that horrific with scouting offensive linemen? I hope not!