1. Are you a gamer? Come join us at GameNotOver.com
    If you are a gamer, then GameNotOver is your new home! Whether you are a PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, mobile or web gamer, you will find other gamers to talk with on GameNotOver where you can get help, share reviews of the latest games and gaming technology or even wax nostalgic over the gaming days of old. Come join us and help us grow GameNotOver into a wonderful community for gamers!
    Dismiss Notice

Jabrill Peppers declaring

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hailmary, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

3,397 Messages
    954 Likes Received
    [​IMG] Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 208.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
    Projected Round (2017): 1.
    Jabrill Peppers has been one of the most overhyped players in the country this year. He had a good year for the Wolverines, but as a draft prospect, Peppers has been underwhelming to NFL decision-makers. Charlie Campbell said it best in his 2017 NFL Draft Safety Prospect Rankings: "[NFL evaluators] think Peppers is a great athlete who has some deficiencies in pass coverage. That is evidenced by his one interception during his entire career. Sources say they are projecting Peppers to be a hybrid dime linebacker and safety, similar to Arizona's Deone Bucannon."

Peppers is not an elite safety prospect, as he's not on the same level as Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams. That said, Peppers still figures to be a first-round pick. He might be chosen in the late teens or early-mid 20s, which is slightly earlier when Bucannon was chosen. Given that he's a likely opening-rounder, Peppers can't be criticized for declaring, though I think the better decision would've been returning to Michigan and working on his pass-coverage problems.

The Verdict: Neutral move

Hope he is long gone before we pick.

2. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

2,642 Messages
    1,172 Likes Received
    He was definitely constructed on the back of hype from a Big Ten centric ESPN crew covering college football. With Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, and Joey Galloway offering their weekly opinions on who was the best, a player with marginal stats like Peppers became Superman. He can do a lot of things on the football field, but is he great at any of them? Dallas has a nice player in Byron Jones who can do a lot of things, but he's not dominant. I wouldn't want to draft Jones in the top 10.

3. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

10,276 Messages
    3,845 Likes Received
    Don't see him fitting in here.

4. cowboys1985

cowboys1985 Well-Known Member

308 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    I dont know, I'm kinda intrigued with him. In time I can see him develop into a nice SS. He could also impact the game immediately as a game changing return man. He's not a cant miss prospect, but his draft stock is definitely something to keep an eye on throughout the draft process.

5. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

1,833 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    I can see him still being around when we pick. He seems like that Washington SS/OLB, Shaq Thompson.

Don't want him though.

6. ckalch

ckalch Well-Known Member

509 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I think that Peppers was so overrated that he's underrated now.

BAT and JoeyBoy718 like this.
  7. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

6,429 Messages
    5,707 Likes Received
    Peppers is a guy that works with a creative defensive coordinator. He can hit, blitz, has better cover skills than you think, and is a terrific punt returner. I would love to get him, but he would be wasted in Marinelli's defense. In a Rex Ryan type of defense, he would be hell on wheels.

JoeyBoy718 and JohnsKey19 like this.
  8. RandyOh

RandyOh Well-Known Member

1,250 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    He would be used as a Box Safety in our scheme. He would be an elite box safety but he wouldn't used to his max potential here

9. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

2,699 Messages
    2,600 Likes Received
    Folks that didn't watch him regularly base a lot of their criticism off of his stats and in doing so don't understand how he was utilized. Michigan had him playing at the line and not in coverage which limited his coverage statistics (like Ramsey his last season at FSU) which is evident by his 13 TFL and 3 sacks last year.

10. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Today's Winner Of The Internet Zone Supporter

7,695 Messages
    5,288 Likes Received
    Wouldnt complain one bit if we picked him. Would be great value and add a dynamic element to our defense

BAT likes this.
  11. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Today's Winner Of The Internet Zone Supporter

7,695 Messages
    5,288 Likes Received
    Base SS, sometimes NLB and Dime LB and sometimes Safety. He can be moved around. It helps but you dont nessesarily have to a Ryan type scheme to maximize a player like Peppers effectivness

12. stilltheguru88

stilltheguru88 Well-Known Member

2,277 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    I'd take him at 32. That's much different than the top 10 talk

13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

36,838 Messages
    14,348 Likes Received
    Dallas needs a guy that can come in and play a role.

We're not going to get creative with anyone. Especially a rookie. Lets be real.

We just need a guy that can come in and do what someone on the defense is already doing at a higher level.

14. CalPolyTechnique

2,699 Messages
    2,600 Likes Received
    At 31-32 he'd be a great pick. The added value with him is that he's a difference maker as a returner, which is something we don't currently have on the roster.

stilltheguru88 likes this.
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

5,345 Messages
    2,212 Likes Received
    We should know a lot about him since our safety coach was at Michigan last year.

16. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

8,699 Messages
    1,160 Likes Received
    Eh...he is definitely behind Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker and probably even a few more safeties too

stilltheguru88 likes this.
  17. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

3,397 Messages
    954 Likes Received
    If both Peppers and Adoree is there when we pick, who do you take?

18. stilltheguru88

stilltheguru88 Well-Known Member

2,277 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    Peppers.

19. Shinaoi

Shinaoi Well-Known Member

706 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind having him but not in the first 2 rounds.

20. CalPolyTechnique

2,699 Messages
    2,600 Likes Received
    If I had to take one at 31-32 overall?

Tough call.

I may go Adoree because I think he could take over Scandrick's role in the next year or two + he's an even more accomplished KR/PR than Peppers (8 kick/punt return TDs in three seasons!).

An argument could be made for either guy though.

BAT and RandyOh like this.