1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jacksonville may be on to something

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jul 3, 2013.

1. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    As I tend to say about every such discussioin:

There are two possibilities.

One is to trick up the technology. That's been the Cowboys strategy. And that's how they've gotten a sterile living room atmosphere. Which makes the game less appealing.

Two is the MLS strategy, which has been to build atmosphere, which means supporters groups, snging, chanting, MLS has something like the second-highest following among young sports fans.

To me, what the Cowboys really need is the latter. Probably so does the NFL generally.
  2. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

2,993 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    The only thing Jacksonville is on is another 4-12 season.
  3. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,494 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    yeah, I definitely see the value being an avid fantasy football player for 15 years myself. Early on, I use to pay alot closer attention, now I am just lazy and I only see what I need to see through stats and internet searches :D
    cwbyfan72 likes this.
  4. cwbyfan72

cwbyfan72 Member

868 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    lol. yep, me too.I don't even play it anymore, but I can see the value. They are just trying to fill the seats in Jacksonville, and ya can't fault em for that.
  5. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,536 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    And how exactly does a team do that...........?
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,136 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    If I was able to go to all the Cowboys home games I wouldn't give a crap about what else is going on during that time. Maybe that's just me though.
    cowboyeric8 likes this.
  7. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

327 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    My Sundays are devoted to the Cowboy's games, first and foremost. However I do keep up with our division rivals to see and hope that they lose. I also am pretty heavily involved in fantasy football so I do like to watch what other players are doing.

With that being said, it would be pretty cool to have the Red Zone at NFL games.
  8. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    So let me see if I got this straight..... I want to know everything that's going on across the NFL and get frustrated that, when i go to a game, I miss out on tons of other NFL action..... and that somehow makes me not a "real fan"?
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,752 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Aren't out of town/around the league scoreboards sufficient? This takes it to a whole different level, you're now watching other games, at a game.
  10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

9,833 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Personally not a big fan of the redzone. I like football because I love to watch the story throughout a game. The intricacies of strategy, tactics, etc. To me, each football game is like watching the battle of a war in history, so many nuances that go on during the course of the three hours. To boil it down to 16 games and clips of people about to score isn't what football is about to me.

Goodell disagrees though :(.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,798 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    I wouldn't care about other scores around the NFL unless it directly impacted the Cowboys chances of winning a division title or something of that nature...
  12. Crazed Liotta Eyes

Crazed Liotta Eyes Member

46 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I get what you're saying but the "story" is filled with so many commercials that it's ridiculous. Even Cowboy games now, I've started recording on the DVR and then I start the game from the beginning when the actual game is late in the first quarter. That way I can fast forward through the commercials. It's especially annoying after a score where you get a commercial, extra point, commercial, kick off and then another commercial. I did get burned once on an over time game doing this so I learned to start recording whatever comes on after the game.
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,086 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    lol

I have Tivo, so I record the game when it comes on. But, I usually wait until just before the half time to watch the game that way I can fast forward through all or most of the commercials. And, I never come here during a game because of the comments that are being made which messes the game up for me.
  14. Crazed Liotta Eyes

Crazed Liotta Eyes Member

46 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    One of the dumbest things I did was when I first got my DVR. The Cowboy game came on and I just paused the game and went off to do other stuff thinking I would just fast forward through the commercials. Then when I started watching the game, I forgot I had done that and when the first commerical came on I switched to the other game. Then I switch back to the Cowboy game expecting it to be right at the start but find it's late in the 3rd quarter. Even worse, they were playing the Eagles and by that time that were down by like 24 points or something. My neighbors must think I'm a psycho after the loud rant on when on. Figured out after that to actually play the recording.
  15. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,086 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    lol...lol

Yeah, I've done that also when I first started leaning how to record on Tivo.

I thought I had missed the whole first half.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Not for a real football fan.
  17. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    That's an interesting question. In MLS it happened mostly organically, from fans joining together into supporters clubs, and then the league and teams coordinating with them.

With the Cowboys, I don't know if it would be as organic. It might have to be more top down. But the team would need to organize it so that there is decent seating, allow drumming, and make it affordable.

Heck, maybe they should just borrow FCD supporters groups to come to do double time at the Cowboys games.

The problem is the money and paying off the stadium, I would guess. But the way things are now ....
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,328 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    The Red Zone channel is stupid, and showing anything other than highlights in your own stadium is even more stupid.

Jax has to come up with a schtick because they can't get anybody to go see their team play. That's all this is.
  19. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,752 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    A real football fan? You mean a fan that wants to see scoring recaps and nothing else? Not appreciate the game for what it is? Especially while you're there in person? That's not a football fan.
    Future likes this.
  20. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I'm in the same boat.

I own a high end 60" TV because of Football. While going to an actual stadium and watching a game is an experience of it's own... I far prefer to watch a game from the comfort of my own house with my own refreshments. And while I only care about Dallas really, I am a huge football fan. I try to watch as many games as I can, I play in fantasy leagues, etc. The NFL redzone channel is simply amazing, worth every penny you could spend on it. I certainly think a stadium would be doing well by it's fans to play it during commercials etc.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.