1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

James Brewer

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,492 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I gotta say that after watching the Senior Bowl yesterday that I think this guy is a little under the radar.

He is 6'8 and has just as good of feet as any of the top tackles in this draft.

I imagine he is a 2nd round prospect and will bring a lot of value for us in that round vs us taking a Offensive Tackle in Round 1.

Anyone know much about this guy? Did he play LT @ Indiana?

I see a lot of upside there for sure.
  2. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,418 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    He played RT at IU.

I like him but not in the 2nd, he'll probably go somewhere in the middle of the 3rd. He's pretty impressive from a physical standpoint but he lacks a mean streak, which will turn off a lot of teams. If a coach can light a fire under his butt he could be pretty good.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Biggest concern with Brewer is injuries. He seems to have ankle/foot injuries every year and misses a good bit of playing time. He is a little stiff and tends to stand upright when blocking. Not a bad prospect in the mid-rounds.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,492 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    If he doesnt have that high motor than I don't want him.

Im tired of O-Linemen who get bored and stop giving effort.

We've already got 2 of those guys on the line right now and it looks like both will be back next year.

I want talented players who give extreme effort.

I want a Marc Colombo mentality in a Leonard Davis body.
  5. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't he have one very good practice where he dominated, then fell apart the rest of the week?

I remember Ryan Kerrigan making him look absolutely freakin foolish one play.
  6. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Brewer is the player your looking for then Catch -

James Brewer is an intriguing prospect who settled in as Indiana's best pass protector after a well-traveled high school career, but struggled with injuries at IU. Prior to matriculating to Indiana, he bounced around three different high schools -- he primarily played basketball -- before finally settling in at Arlington High School in Indianapolis and focusing on football as a high school senior.
    After redshirting in 2006, Brewer missed the entire season with a foot injury. In 2008, he was a reserve in the first eight games before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. After a strong showing in spring practice as a junior, Brewer realized his potential as the anchor on the right side of an offensive line that gave up just 16 sacks - the second-lowest total among Big 10 teams that season. The 2010 honorable-mention All-Big Ten pick started his senior year playing very well against non-conference opponents but again missed three games -- this time with an ankle injury -- before returning at less than full strength for Indiana's final four games.
    Despite Brewer's large frame, he is more of a finesse blocker than a mauler and never really took the leadership reins in 2010 from Rodger Saffold, whom the St. Louis Rams selected with the first pick of the second round of the '10 draft. But despite injury issues, scouts were impressed with his season-ending performance against Purdue's defensive cornerstone Ryan Kerrigan. Brewer may be a relatively high draft pick because of his vast potential but he's not without question marks.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,492 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received

Yeah im not into picking up players that need motivation right now with this team.

He looks like he has tons of upside.

He just seems like a perfect fit for Jerry though because he can sale his talent to everyone.

I just want Olinemen who are going to bring it every week.
  8. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Marc Colombo was plenty lazy
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Yeah ,but he is mean. So I can overlook that. I can`t overlook Davis. He has no excuse.
  10. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received

Mean to Romo
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,457 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Unfortunately that guy isn't in this draft. He would go ahead of #9 if was though.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,492 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    I think its another reason why I like Carimi so much.

Outside of his versatility and physical ability he seems like a guy that is going to bring it every time he steps on the field.

Being an Olineman can get boring sometimes and if you don't have a love for it than it will wear on you and next thing you know you're going through the motions (like Bigg).
  13. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Check out my mock at Hostile's mock's thread. This guy is shooting up the charts very quickly.
  14. Randy White

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received

Kerrigan made everybody look foolish at one point or another..
  15. Randy White

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    showed up to the Senior bowl practice this week. I don't know about his rep, but from what I saw in drills, he cominated. I commented at the time that I've never seen anybody block with one arm before, and look so natural at it. I don't know if it's a technique he learned in school OR if it's just him improvising.

I truly believe he could start at RT from opening day, or shortly after, which is why I put him as a late 2nd rounder in my mock.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,492 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received

Yeah he definetely stood out to me. Thats why I started the thread.

But I just want to stay away from these types of guys.

If you need to be motivated as an Olinemen you're passion will fizzle out quick.

Playing Oline is litterally a job in this sport.