1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jared Allen on NFL and sacks

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Idgit, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,824 Messages
    7,550 Likes Received
    He's also got some interesting comments about the importance if the secondary, for those here who are reluctant to credit the importance of back end players:

And this, about Demarcus Ware. Amusing that it comes in the context of younger, up and coming players:

Anyway, a good read, and Jared Allen is a fairly interesting cat. I'd be so frustrated if I were a Chiefs fan that they let him go.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,845 Messages
    4,412 Likes Received
    Nice read Idgit. Thanks for posting. Nice to see Ware get some love.
  3. Idgit

31,824 Messages
    7,550 Likes Received
    Thanks. I like hearing from other teams' star players where it concerns the Cowboys. And Jared Allen's always fun.

On a side note, it's cool to hear Chad Greenway give such kudos to Demarcus Ware in the NFL's Top 100 video when the guy plays with Jared Allen.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,529 Messages
    1,795 Likes Received
    Even though he plays for another NFC team, Allen is a really easy guy to root for. Lots to like about him.
  5. Idgit

31,824 Messages
    7,550 Likes Received
    He's great. And he's also maybe underrated as a player.

Nobody nibbling on the secondary v. pass rush debate here?
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,779 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    its easier to get away with mediocre or just good CBs if you get really good pressure then it is for really good CBs to cope with little or mediocre pressure
  7. Idgit

31,824 Messages
    7,550 Likes Received
    I'd say that's probably accurate. Bad CBs get you beat, though.

Either way, it's good to hear pass rushers consistently saying that secondary play is as important as their rushing the passers.
  8. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Lots to dislike too. Just do a google search for Jared Allen dirty and you'll know why.
  9. playmakers

playmakers Active Member

1,149 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I think its going to be harder for Ware to get sacks now because they have 4 div games against teams running read option or quick throws like the Redskins and Eagles. He's not going to be able to straight up rush but he has to go in under contain.

Von Miller plays 6 games against the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders. All of which are always behind and he can just put his hand down and rush the passer. Plus, Oak and Sd have a horrible oline. KC is okay.

Aldon Smith is surrounded by many talented players. Plus, he has 4 games vs the Rams and Cards.
  10. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,523 Messages
    688 Likes Received

OLine. That's where it's at. :D
  11. Idgit

31,824 Messages
    7,550 Likes Received
    Meh. That's pretty much the play that blew out my first ACL back in high school. Only it was a teenage kid that jacked me up. Cleats get stuck in the turf.

It's another block you'd like to see not happen, but at that speed, and playing for these stakes, those things are going to happen. I don't think it necessarily makes a player dirty when he's involved in an unfortunate play.
  12. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Are you referring
    I was referring to a hit Allen put on Texans qb Matt Schaub back in '08. Allen dove head first at the side of Schaub's knee well after the ball gone. The resulting mcl sprain caused Schaub to miss 4 weeks.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,071 Messages
    1,933 Likes Received
    Exactly - not a big fan of Jared Allen.