1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TTexasTT, Nov 18, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    One thing I love is how the praise of Garrett by players and coaches throughout the league is discredited. Apparently fans know more than players and coaches who are actually IN the NFL.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    I don't like to use a win as an excuse to ignore shortcomings. That's precisely what I'm arguing against.
  3. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,235 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Well if 16 years of .500 play is OK for you you've come to the right place.
  4. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    And all of the provoking came from your side. You poke somebody with a stick you should expect something back. That's how it works my friend.
  5. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
  6. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    but thats just not the case. Im here as a Cowboy fan, like always, hoping that JG gets this team back on the right side of the W/L column and eventually to the big game.
    I wasnt aware that rooting for THIS team was so taboo.
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,369 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    :lmao2: My side? I didn't know lines were drawn. I try not to limit myself to dualism and I certainly do not put myself on a 'side.'

You fail to understand my point though. I don't give a damn about namecalling in and of itself. It's called a method of argumentation or how a poor argument is made.

He characterizes someone's points as 'blowing kisses' and discounts it out of hand. It's piss poor argumentation. As for the ridicule of the individual that is just SOP nowadays. You want to play the 'he started it' game then have fun with that.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,585 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    third post of the thread you called those who disagreed with the OP, "trolls." predictably, in-fighting ensued. the ironic thing is the threadstarter is a troll, you're just too wound up on defending garrett to notice it.
  9. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
  10. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,235 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I suppose we're all here because we're hopeful but right now the product being put on the field does not stir optimism. When it does, that's when you have appreciation threads.
  11. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Neither do I. I never said shortcomings should be ignored. It was a horrible first half and we started off too slow, as usual. We walked away with a win and won a hard fought game. It should lighten the depression a bit. Apparently, it doesn't around here. Problems can be discussed and fixed though. I'm sure that will be addressed this week by Garrett.

Apparently the only way you can possibly fix things around here is calling for someones head though.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    PLEASE GET THE THREAD BACK ON TOPIC AND ENOUGH OF THE INSULTS OF THE THREAD WILL BE LOCKED...
  13. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,607 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    No competent GM would have ignored the OL like this, there is simply no excuse for fielding this group of losers. What's really funny is the oft held notion that this back burner dumpster dive was a carefully orchestrated quality youth movement. :eek::
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,369 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    I don't like using shortcomings as an excuse to ignore a win.

We won despite obvious and glaring shortcomings. Our already awful Oline lost it's best player and had further shuffling. We pass the ball 50 times and only tried to run it 18.

At the end of the day if you know that you are facing an uphill battle because of such adversity and you manage to overcome it then that is a good thing.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,798 Messages
    1,600 Likes Received
    Actually, since you mentioned it, now would be a very good time for results.

We've been told that penalties and turnovers are a reflection of the coach......how long should we wait until these things are addressed?

Once the core players of Ware, Witten, Romo, Ratliff and a few others have moved into retirement, everyone will likely look back at the last 6-7 years since the departure of Bill Parcells and the next few years to come as a huge lost opportunity. You had numerous great players in their prime and thus far this team has absolutely squat to show for it and being that they're now 13-13 since the start of the RKG era, I'm not sure anyone can reasonably expect that they will get anything to show for it.

Is it unreasonable to expect results now?

If you have a high quality QB, you have a shot. End of story.

Harbaugh goes to San Fran, takes over a team with less talent and the prototypical bus driver QB and he's off to a 19-5-1 start.

Mike Smith went to Atlanta and took a 4-12 team and turned them into an 11-5 team the following season with a rookie Matt Ryan. He's 40-17 since then.

But lets not set the bar too high, huh. How about we focus on something that is supposedly a reflection of the coach.

Schiano goes down to Tampa and in a single offseason transitions that team from an absolute turnover machine into one of the most ball-secure teams in the NFL. Prior to today, they had 8 turnovers all year. Good for 2nd in the NFL. Throw in todays abnormal game and they're at 11 turnovers on the season. Still only 8 teams that are better and I haven't even added in turnovers for the other teams. I don't need to because 11 turnovers is almost divine intervention compared to where they were at last year.

In 2011, Tampa had 40 turnovers. 2.5 per game.

Through 10 games, they have 11 turnovers this year. Just over 1.1 per game.

Jason Garrett has not produced the wins like Harbaugh or Smith. Okay, different circumstances.....whatever. But, he has also not done anything to clean up the team's play, something we were practically promised would happen.

This team is every bit as careless, ever bit as penalty-ridden and every bit as mediocre as they have been since that one exception 13-3 season.

You tell me, how long should we wait to see results. Pick an area. Penalties, turnovers and wins. How long is "long enough"?
  16. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
  17. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I see what you did there!! You tried to be clever! Unfortunately, only in your world is the OP a troll. No one can possibly have a positive outlook on things. How dare they not be a miserable fan!
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    I don't think the coach matters as long as the team is built the way it is.

Jerry builds his team to be long on big-name, all-star players and short on no-name grunts.

Garrett, or any coach for that matter, won't succeed as long as we're drafting CBs and WRs and TEs when our big guys are so so so bad.

Invest in the interior on both fronts and this team is better.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,585 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    my point is you seem to be very selective about the posts that are lacking "courtesy". if you haven't noticed, several posts have been removed from this thread and they all came from your side. when i say your side, i mean the garrett diehard supporters.
  20. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received