1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Video: Jason Garrett breaks down '12 personnel'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 29, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,205 Messages
    5,768 Likes Received
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,205 Messages
    5,768 Likes Received
  3. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,650 Messages
    308 Likes Received
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I really hope so. I like his athleticism but wish he played with more power. You can see him struggle and more muscle mass in his legs would greatly help him with that.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    We all heard how flexible the package is, Jason. Shed some light on why that flexibility has never really shown up on the field over the past 6 seasons.

Bennett was basically a 6th OL out there. He was very good at blocking but the team hardly ever had him running routes. Clearly the team has been seeking more from the #2TE but I think Bennett has shown that his lack of production in Dallas wasn't solely because he couldn't catch the ball. His production during his single year in New York compared to what Dallas got out of him in 4 years is a statement to that fact.

It's just hard to understand what exactly the team is looking for. They want all this flexibility but rarely gave themselves a chance to even use it when they had it in the past.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,679 Messages
    6,438 Likes Received
    We use that set a lot, and we've had a fair amount of offensive success during that time. It's not really accurate to say it hasn't contributed to our offensive success over the last six seasons.
    Neither is it fair to compare Bennett's work as a starter in NY to his backup snaps in DAL. He'd have had similar numbers in NY if they were lucky enough to have a Jason Witten in front of him. Don't kid yourself.

I don't think it's all that hard to see what they're doing at TE, at all. Though, I'm sure they'd agree that it'd be great to have two players who can legitimately play the y on the field at the same time.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Why is it not fair? Obviously they want more than what they got from him in Dallas. My point wasn't specifically about his raw production, more so about his potential and how the team didn't seem to be able to tap into it. I think it's pretty clear that the reason he didn't meet expectations is only because of any sort of problems on his behalf but also because the team didn't utilize him.

Over his 4 years in Dallas they only targeted him 132 times. That's 2 passes his direction per game.

And you're right, had Witten been a Giant with Bennett behind him his numbers wouldn't have been as good. No denying that but it gets back to the entire point that you don't need to continually hunt for some stud #2TE. If you have a good one, you're set. Dallas has a great one.
  8. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,718 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I am anxious to see what the 12-package can bring to this offense with 3 guys at the position that can catch the ball
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I can totally see the emphasis on tight ends now. Hanna and Escobar will fill the role of splitting out wide more, while Rosario and Smith can come out of the backfield or stay on the line.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,679 Messages
    6,438 Likes Received
    The benefits from the 12 set are in that they give you obvious matchup advantages whatever personnel the defense puts on the field. How a team uses those advantages is going to vary according to what their TE personnel can do, but having one guy that you can flex out, and another you can use as the H back and one guy who can do it all is a different set of advantages over having two guys who can do it all. Throw in the fact that we're trying to not only do that this season, but we've also got a 13 set we can use with a TE you can flex out who also has the speed to stretch underneath coverages more than your other TE options can, and it gives options in the running game and in the red zone that we just never had with Martellus 3rd-team-in-3-Years Bennett.

I don't know how effective the 12/13 sets are going to be for us this season, but it's easy to see what the team is trying to do, tactically. That's fine if you don't like it, but there's no point in pretending what they envision doesn't make any sense. These are NFL caliber offensive minds we're talking about. The idea is sound, and the question is whether or not it can be defensed.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,740 Messages
    3,936 Likes Received
    We have had very good success out of the 12. Those stats were posted a good while ago here. Sry can't remember the poster but I think it was Adam.
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,718 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I can't for a second compare the 12 set with Bennett vs this year's team...Bennett was a load (and not in a good way)...they didn't throw to him because he didn't run good routes or consistently catch the ball...sure, he could block, but pass-catching was/is not his forte'...but, Hanna and Escobar are more pass-catchers and if they can grasp the concepts of where they need to be and getting passing (pun intended) grades when blocking, then the 12/13 should/could be dynamic for this team