1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett Combine Presser - 02/22/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 22, 2013.

1. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,388 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    Ratliff coming back(as expected) should not discourage us going Dline @18.
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,290 Messages
    1,260 Likes Received
    It shouldnt but it probably will. I really dont see any of these 2nd tier DTs making more of an impact than Ratliff or hatcher. I think Star would, Floyd or richardson maybe.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,203 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Hopefully it encourages them to go OL at #18.
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    So is Calvin stealing a paycheck all these years.
  5. dfan32

dfan32 Member

259 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I checked out some mock drafts today and Sheldon Richardson's name came up more than any others as Dallas pick. Mizzouri DT... sounds like an interesting prospect.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,915 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,290 Messages
    1,260 Likes Received
    self explanatory dude
    They would like to sign him but dont know if they can afford him.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,331 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    Right! How many old farts do the Cowboys want on the d-line anyway.
  9. weaver21

weaver21 Member

627 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It would be nice to add another young stud on the defensive line to go along with Crawford and Lissemore. But I wouldn't be upset if we went the other route and chose an offensive lineman. It's win-win for me.
  10. rags747

rags747 Active Member

988 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    You dont draft a qb now to groom if Romo is signing a 4-5 yr contract, the kid would be on the bench and gone after yr 4. Drafting of a qb will take place in the 2014/15 drafts at which time the kid would possibly ready to take over. Doing it now is just a wasted pick.

Ratliff Im not sure what I want, he seems to have become much bigger in his head than he really actually is. That BS stunt with JJ in the lockeroom and then add in his brilliant DD arrest...he does deserve a smackdown. Hopefully JJ is the one to give it to him.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,915 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    I know.

I was just saying that for all those who have said that isn't the case........about a million times.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,049 Messages
    3,966 Likes Received
    People are arguing that Spencer won't be expensive? I don't think so.

There's no doubt we *could* sign him. The only question has ever been whether or not it's a smart thing to do. I tell you what, though...we'd jump at the deal that would have made us balk two seasons ago when we should have been ironing out the extension.
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That's always been Jerry's problem. He waits way too long before extending core players. As those players get into the final season's of their deals they don't see the point in re-signing without letting FA set their price which is usually well above what it would have taken 1.5 years earlier. This is why we see other teams around the league stuffed full of their core players and no trouble staying under the cap but we are always under some monumental struggle to do so.

Well that and signing players past their expiration dates to long-term deals - see the deal given to a declining Jay Ratliff prior to the 2010 season. If we didn't sign him to that deal we could have afforded Spencer. Instead the younger, better and healthier player likely has to leave to keep the old used guy who has a guaranteed salary.

Oh how I wish the old man would just hire himself a real GM and quit relying on his son's judgment on contracts.

Right now we should be working on a way to extend Romo in the offseason and then start negotiations with Dez so the deal is done by the middle of the season. Tyron is then next in line. I'd like to put Carter, Lee and Murray in there too but none have demonstrated enough durability to be worth a long-term deal with lots of guaranteed money, unfortunately.

It'll be nice once we manage the clear the dead weight deals given to Free, Austin and Ratliff.
  14. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    OL is our biggest need in round 1, maybe even round 2
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,175 Messages
    1,805 Likes Received
    I have heard that talking out of both sides of the mouth can be uncomfortable
  16. Idgit

28,049 Messages
    3,966 Likes Received
    I imagine it is, I wouldn't know. I'd also assume it's probably not even worth the effort if people don't give a lot of credibility to what's being said, anyway.

It sounds like you're suggesting I think spending a lot of money in FA here on Anthony Spencer is a good idea. I'll restate my position on Anthony Spencer again for the record: he's a very good player we should have extended two years ago, who's now very likely to demand more on the free market than we should be willing to pay.

It was a mistake not to appreciate his ability sufficiently earlier when he had a lot less leverage, because we sure could use him on the roster at an affordable price. We've also got fans who have misjudged his ability as a player, badly, his entire time in Dallas, and now they're transparently pretending they were right about him all along when the overwhelmingly obvious reality is that they've been proven so wrong that the player simply is no longer signable without paying a huge premium because the demand for his long term services from other teams is likely to be very high.
  17. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I don't agree. Jerry biggest problem is locking up aging core players after 30 years old and losing all cap flexibility as those contract back end years rise dramatically. Jerry operates like GM whose team is on cusp of a super bowl when he should be building like a team that is about 6-8 players away each year.
  18. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...and I agree but releasing him for being over the hill and completely ineffective due to injuries is not stupid at all
  19. Idgit

28,049 Messages
    3,966 Likes Received
    It is when the cap savings you do from doing it are less than the cost of filling the huge hole you just created on your DL.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,152 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    for all the talk that the boys have loved spencer for years then why this:

they made no serious effort to sign him to a long term deal this last offseason