1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett Isn’t Going Anywhere, Yet

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Nov 25, 2012.

1. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    At this point, the only thing better than replacing our Head Coach would be replacing our GM.
  2. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,143 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Those coaches who you speak of don't have talent to work with, shurmur being case in point, his team has been in just about every game this year.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,726 Likes Received
    Depth. And there's no reason to get so combative just because I think now is a really bad time to switch the head coach. I get it: you're not happy with this team sitting at or around 500.

The penalties are largely a function of the OL turmoil, and the fact that our RT is trying to get a jump when he should not be. But that's pretty common.

Clock management hasn't really been what's cost us games. I know people are up in arms about it, but it's not been costing us wins.

I don't know what the issue might be with the use of timeouts, so I can't comment on that.

We're losing games by turning the ball over. And by not taking it away. I know everybody wants to think that changing the coach fixes everything, but it won't.

The problem is systemic, and it's going to take time for it to get addressed. It was a problem under Bill, and under Wade, and now it's a problem under Garrett, too. I'm not even sure what the problem is, or why it's spanned so many coaches. But I'm not anxious to start the process of trying to fix it over from scratch, especially given the age of our better players right now. I'd much rather see us continue to build through the draft, shake some cap room free and put it to use, and give JG another season (or two, honestly) to see what some consistency and some better backups could do. As I've repeatedly said, there will be no shortage of Superbowl-winning retreads available for HC if and when we want to go after one after next season. There are always retreads out there if you really think that's going to fix the problem, and there are always guys coming up from the college ranks who want their shot in the NFL.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Bingo. We're wasting our best players' best years. And all we're doing is setting the stage for more growing pains. Those guys are all grown up, but we're still growing.

Flores is a moron.
  5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,614 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Give it up dude, it's over.

This is a league of parity, as long as you have a solid QB you can get in the playoffs.

This organization is all out of excuses.
  6. tunahelper

tunahelper Well-Known Member

3,914 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Garrett is not HC material and I dont see him qualified to be an OC. He topped out as a QB coach. He is a smart guy, but not a HC. We need Gruden to direct this offense and keep Ryan for the defense.
  7. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

869 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    The problem is systemic. Years of mismanagement...Years of bad drafting... years of pupit coaches with no real power... Years of coddling high paid players & undercutting the coaches... Years of an idiot trying to say he is a football man. He would have been more correct if he had called himself a "Circus Empresario". I'm not sure he will fire Jason even if he loses the next 5 games. Remember he did stand 3 straight years of 5x11 before.

Now, if you want to know what would help...Jerry should retire to Arkansas with his family; hire Bill Polian to run the club; Let him hire the coaches and shop for the groceries "as Bill would say". Will that happen??? only when Hell freezes over & water turns into wine...

Look for more mediocre years, boys!!!!
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    posts like this tell us what jerry already knows

fans (even some intelligent ones who "know football") are largely blind sheep and will follow the path of least resistance and "hope" and "believe" despite clear evidence to the contrary

why should jerry change anything when he has no cause to?

the team does not need to win for him to make money

snake oil salesman and a gullible fan base... a match made in hell
  9. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    he should get another year, but if the Cowboys do not win compete for a title (not necessarily win it) I'd let him go
  10. cowboyfan4life2

1,143 Messages
    209 Likes Received

Why should he get another year?
  11. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,726 Likes Received
    This post might make sense if I were saying not to change anything. As it is, though, it doesn't make sense since that's clearly not what I'm saying.

Watch the thinly veiled personal insults, please.
  12. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    What needs to be adressed won't and that is a change of GM. You can have Vince Lomadardi reincarnated and it won't matter if players like Doug Free or Mike Jenkins are allowed to see the field. Jerry has been undermining the head coach's authority for so long that he now thinks that's is the way is always been done and should be. The culture will remain the same if the Owner/GM/Walkaround Coach remains intact.
  13. cowboyfan4life2

1,143 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    True, but vince Lombardi wouldn't ice his own kicker, or play for a 50 plus yard fg, or any of the other brainfarts that priceton has made.
  14. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    It's all part of the zero accountability culture. Players not linning up correctly, arguing with the refs, getting flagged for dumb penalties, not picking up a blitz as if they hadn't practice all week, missing practice with a headache and on and on IS the team's culture.
  15. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,907 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Things got done more or less the right way when Jimmy was here and, to a lesser extent, with Parcells. It can happen again. Jerry won't step down but hiring a real coach with personnel savy would be a big improvement over what we currently have going.
  16. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Jerry wasn't calling the shots personel wise with neither of those guys. We have management by committee now and it shows since nobody is responsible for anything anymore.
  17. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,907 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that Jerry cannot revert back to the Johnson-Parcells model after he hires a real coach. What we do know is that it won't change while JG is coach...
  18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I agree with what was written in the Star-Telegram this week...Jerry will lose patience this season because this would be 3 missed playoff years straight. Last time that happened we saw Parcells. Why be patient with things that aren't working? It's not like we are seeing brilliance in the making. The team starts slow, commits dumb mistakes and isn't prepared on a week to week basis. At some point you have to get back to what being the Dallas Cowboys meant in the 70s, part of the 80s and the 90s..expecting excellence. Right now some fans expect mediocrity and that in turn leads to apathy when things don't change. There has to be a structure shift and we all know Jerry won't fire himself and there are attractive candidates out there.
  19. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,726 Likes Received
    I'm not sure a change of GM is going to fix things, either frankly. Though I don't spend much time worrying about things that won't happen. I'm looking forward to Stephen taking over in that capacity eventually.

I feel like a broken record, but what I want to see addressed is the turnover problem. If that's coaching, or the QB, or the design of the offense and the design of the defense. Whatever it takes, it's got to be addressed, and for good. I wish I had a better handle on what causes it, though. Some of it's the WR adjustments, but that's been cleaned up recently. Some of it's the pressure from our OTs. That's a personnel problem. Some of it gets helped by more defensive pressure and better S play. But it seems like it's a different combination of problems each season that ends up biting us. The HC has to fix it, and this season he's made zero progress in that regard.
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    the point is that you are just attempting to distract from the main problems with the team (jason and jerry) and recommending window dressing which will not make any tangible difference

it is pretty funny that you took being called intelligent as an insult :rolleyes: