1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett on How Much He is Involved in Personnel

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rickjameschinaclub, Jan 22, 2013.

1. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4690429/jason-garrett-involved-in-money-decisions

So Jason Garrett's failure as a head coach is because he's just a figure-head? So the OL is not on him?
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    I never doubted he was involved. Of course he's involved. He's the head coach.

But he doesn't make the decisions.
  3. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,906 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    I don't know if I totally agree. There is a difference in the type of personnel we've been drafting since Wade was fired as head coach. Maybe that's Jerry different tone? I don't know. But we do seem to be drafting guys who sort of have Jason Garrett qualities to them.
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    It is a broken system, that's for sure.

Just look at the final four this year. Strong front offices, strong coaching and solid QB play. I think Dallas has the last. The first is a shortcoming and I'm on the fence on coaching (although it is no where near the level of Baltimore, SF or NE). Absolutely have to get better offensively though.
  5. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    But he has as much say as every other coach who's ever been here has.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
  7. Risen Star

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    That not even remotely true.
  8. Risen Star

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    Dave Campo would have told you he's very involved. Chan Gailey would have said it. Wade Phillips. Barry Switzer.

I don't get any point here.
  9. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't get it... I've never called Garrett a figure-head, except 'sarcastically'... If he's very much involved, including the money operations, than the excuses that he's being hamstrung are just that, excuses. He is responsible for the 8-8 seasons through his own making.

Jerry just made a horrible decision keeping a guy he thought that could do it, but slowly realizing he can't, but is hanging on to threads that a veteran coaching staff can move him in the right direction this final year of 'proving himself'.

Not only that, he's making excuses for Garrett by arguing that he wanted JG to call plays, despite the fact we are supposedly implementing JG's complex playbook, which is based upon his profound intellect and game-calling abilities.
  10. LUVDABOYS

LUVDABOYS Member

235 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Just out of curiosity, you know this for a fact? Or are you just repeating rumour for arguments sake?
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    You're right and I read your post 3 times, and I still don't get what you are up in arms about.

However, of course Garrett is involved in the organization of the team and it is his blueprint, and of course he is responsible for the 8-8 seasons. He is the Head Coach, they are on his ledger. I have been trying to tell people these things for quite a while.

This is his team. Period.
  12. Risen Star

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    I don't know why people want to complicate it so much. The owner is well aware that this "unique structure" of his is the reason why the team has struggled for nearly two decades. He doesn't care. That will not change. The team will either win with him in the GM chair or it goes down with him.

That's the reality of the Dallas Cowboys as long as Jerry Jones is here. So accept that and hope he can stumble on a head coach capable of overcoming all the obstacles in his way.

Jim Harbaugh's great, right? He doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of duplicating what he did in San Fran here in Dallas. Completely different situation. Sane ownership. Real personnel men. He's set up for success. None of that applies here. We set our coaches up for failure and see if they can overcome it. If they can't, fire the bum and move on to the next. As long as you change the names of the pawns in this game the fans will think you're trying.
  13. Risen Star

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    Yes. I know this for a fact.

There is no rumor. Jerry Jones was not pretending to be a personnel man during the Jimmy years. If he was, the dynasty wouldn't have been built. That takes skill. Something Jerry has proven he doesn't have over the last 17 years of futility.

Jason Garrett does not have the power Jimmy had. If you believe otherwise, I suggest you brush up on the history of this team.
  14. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I agree with that for the most part. My only minor disagreement would be that I do think Harbaugh is a superior coach to Garrett at the moment. He's got a lot more experience though.
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,688 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    So many overly bitter people on here. I'd hate to see how angry and bitter some people get when it's something that either actually matters in life or that they have their own hands in.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    I'd say he's 3rd:

Johnson
    Parcells
    Garrett
    etc
  17. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Naw, dude.

First, you have an interesting definition of solid QB play... I mean, if you include Flacco, then there are only like a dozen teams that DON'T have solid QB play.

To reinforce, looking back a few years, didn't Sexy Rexy start a Super Bowl? Hasn't Flacco been to multiple conference title games? Wasn't Alex Smith a muffed punt away from a Super Bowl? Didn't Tim Tebow and T.J. Yates take teams to the final eight last year?

Second, although this year it was not the case, it's normal for crummy coaches to be deep into the playoffs. John Fox was within spitting distance of the final four this year; Mike Tomlin has a ring. Both are Jason Garrett level awful.

Third, I agree we need a strong front office, but don't necessarily agree with your assessment that ours is weak... How do you even evaluate a front office? We've mostly had quality draft picks lately. Is anyone dissatisfied with Claiborne, Smith, Dez, or Spencer? Or is this one of those tautological things, where we must have a good front office to contend, but can only have a good front office by contending?
  18. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received

What kinda draft pick do y'all equate retaining Garrett to? :laugh2:
  19. LowTech

LowTech the most important member

1,798 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Is there any way to ignore entire threads made by some posters?
  20. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

1,176 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Harbaugh is a very good coach, who like John Gruden following Tony Dungy, benefitted from having a roster full of capable players who he could maximize
    to perform at their best.

Examples: solid O Line, Solid Defense, first round QB, until this year reliable
    kicker....

Throw Harbaugh, either of them into our mix, and we see similar results to
    JG in my opinion.

It's not necessarily all because of the coach. They don't man up on the field,
    and have to deliver