1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett Press Conference -02/13/13 Interview Tweets Post #25

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,259 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Water is wet
  2. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

920 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I'm catching it on the ticket1310 on I♥radio.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,508 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    I'm on delay, but fully 20 minutes into this filibuster he still hasn't taken a question.
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,380 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    So far, a whole lot of nothing to report, basically introducing the coaches. Went over the offense and avoided a lot except he stated how good the offense was over the years, stats and such.

Made good points about the defense in relation to take-a-ways. He is doing his best to avoid the play-calling topic though.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,536 Messages
    3,381 Likes Received
    Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins
    Jason Garrett jokes he leads the league in scout team reps as a QB

Garrett said his respect level for Monte Kiffin is "off the charts".

The playcaller might not be named until August.

Garrett said it wouldn't be hard to give up the playcalling duties.

Garrett won't get into the specifics of the mechanics of what needs to be done to make the change

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr
    Garrett said monte kiffin is as good a defensive coordinator as this league has seen in a long, long time.

Garrett said likes kiffin's "demand for detail at getting it right. My respect for him is off the chart. We are fortunate to have him as DC

Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman
    Jason Garrett explaining his own ties to Tampa bay coaches back in 2004. He's more familiar with kiffin, marinelli than most people realize

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon
    Jason Garrett has talked for 10 minutes without taking a question or saying anything newsworthy. Lots of talk about '04 Tampa training camp.

Garrett on play-caller decision: "We'll probably play preseason game in early August and hopefully we'll have it all worked out by then."

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez
    Garrett told a Kiffin story. Now he has a Marinelli story.

First question: did you initiate these changes? Starts to talk about collective decisions.

Garrett says he and Callahan are trying to figure out new direction. Says Cowboys have had a system with a 'primary play-caller.'

Asked when play-caller will be decided, Garrett punts it a long way. Says by the first preseason game in Augusta.

Define 'breakthrough' season. Garrett: To get to the point where they were last season and win that last game and make playoffs.

Garrett says he wants 'shared values' with his assistant coaches. And if they have a personal connection, that's a plus.

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC
    Garrett talking about his experience w/ Kiffin as a backup qb in Tampa. Built a relationship with Kiffin then and knew he wanted to coach

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
    Did Jason Garrett initiate the changes? Garrett said he, Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones and entire staff made collective decisions.

Garrett on who will be calling plays: There's a lot of time between now and first preseason game. "Hope to have it all worked out by then."

Maybe Jason Garrett's most common response since becoming Cowboys head coach: "I don't want to get into the details on all of that."

Will it ultimately be Jason Garrett's decision on who calls the plays? Garrett: "Yes."

Jason Garrett "very disappointed" in Jay Ratliff's arrest. "We'll just have to let that situation play out."

Jason Garrett says he prefers using the word "urgent" not "uncomfortable" when describing the mood at Valley Ranch.

105.3 The FAN ‏@1053thefan
    Garrett not answering if he or Callahan will call plays: "I don't want to definitively say that one way or another." http://bit.ly/SJRWjZ

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean
    Garrett said he and Callahan "will work through mechanics" about play calling. No final decision has been made.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
    After all that, Garrett doesn't give a full answer on play calling. Said they're "trying to move in that direction" of having Callahan do it

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Jason Garrett invoked Schembechler -- "The Team, The Team, The Team" -- when the play-calling question came up again. Says no decision yet.

Garrett ran through a list of teams -- New Orleans, Green Bay -- that have won with head coaches as play-callers.

Jason Garrett mentions that they don't need a decision on play-calling until preseason games begin. But seems resigned on this one.

Jason Garrett on whether or not Jerry wants him calling plays -- "You'll have to ask him that". Says Jerry always like play-calling HCs.

Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
    #Cowboys coach Jason Garrett still won't say definitively that OC Bill Callahan will call the offensive plays. Says still working through it

Garrett says final decision might not be made on who the "primary" play-caller will be on offense until early in the preseason.

Jason Garrett says that ultimately it will be his decision who calls the offensive plays for the #Cowboys next season.

#Cowboys coach Jason Garrett says that the switch from a 3-4 to 4-3 defense will put them in a position to "absorb" injuries better.

Jean-Jacques Taylor ‏@JJT_ESPNDallas
    Red J just lumped the Cowboys with the best offenses in NFL. "We have played good offensive football," he said. Hmmmm.

Derek Eagleton ‏@derekeagleton
    Garrett mentions takeaways under Marinelli. In 3 years as DC in CHI: 44, 31 & 35 takeaways. Most DAL had in 10 yrs is 31. Averaged 24/season

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
    Jason Garrett on Bill Callahan: "Bill wouldn't be on this staff if we didn't have shared values."

Jason Garrett on deciding who will call plays: "We trust the process. We're confident we'll get it right."

Would Cowboys be switching to 4-3 if they had won in Washington? JG: "Don't know. We'd have to see how the rest of the season played out."

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC
    Garrett also says media makes too much of who will be named playcaller since all coaches are involved in gameplanning

At one point I wasn't sure Garrett would take questions. He did so, but I'm still left wondering what substantial answers were there

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Summary of Garrett presser: No decision on play-caller, yet. System on O will have Callahan influence. Kiffin/TB coaches won JG over in '04.

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon
    We might have to wait almost 6 more months for answer to a really simple question: Who's calling plays for the Cowboys? Unless Jerry slips.

Play-calling duties could be determined by preseason opener coin flip. Heads, it's Garrett. Tails, it's Callahan.

Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
    #Cowboys coach Jason Garrett: “Bill [Callahan] wouldn’t be on the staff if we didn’t have shared values.”

Only the #Cowboys can hold an hour press conference and leave everyone walking away with more questions than answers.
  6. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I may not think Garrett is a very good coach overall, but I love how he never lets press conferences get out of hand. A lot of the questions he gets asked would send pressers into a bad place with a lot of other coaches.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Good lord

Shaun sharif, Clarence hill and Calvin Watkins are stupid.

Who invited Shaun sharif? What a joke.
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Hopefully his comment on Ratliff means he's gone! Get him outta there
  9. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    What did he say?
  10. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,480 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    This is depressing. They obviously are not going to install a new offense, if they are wating for August.

Hello to the lowest scoring first half team in the NFL, AGAIN :(
  11. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,380 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    Nothing really. He got a stern look on his face and said "we will let it play out" or something like that.
  12. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    He said he was "very disappointed."
  13. Chocolate Lab

33,508 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Yep. Listening to him, you'd think we really were right there with the Saints and Texans and Packers, just as he said.

In fact, if our offense was as excellent as he's saying, why change anything?
  14. SDCowboy85

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Thanks.
  15. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    What ur seeing is not a future head coach but a future Political figure. Reminds me of many politicians who never gives u a direct answer but skirts around the question. Sometimes they go as far as telling falsehoods in order not to give the correct answer. Future Politician.

After listening to todays PC, I feel strongly that JG will remain, no matter what JG states, the Playcaller and our season will be much the same as the last two years--SAD!!
  16. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Just let Tony call all the plays. He changes almost everyone that is sent in anyway.
  17. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,288 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    I bet he doesn't want to change anything. Jerry is who is forcing any change. Now, with all the backlash against Jerry and his "forcing" Garrett to give up playcalling, I'm afraid to prove the point Red is still in charge, Red might very well remain the playcaller next season.
  18. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    Honestly at this point it really doesn't matter to me who calls the plays. If the Cowboys have another yr like the last 2 jg is gone regarless who is calling the plays. I've never really had a problem with the play calling. I just have a problem with his playbook.
  19. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    :facepalm:

Lord have mercy!
  20. Chocolate Lab

33,508 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Maybe so, Stretch Smith is saying he thinks Jason will still call plays when it's all said and done...

And kirk -- dead on about the politician part. That's one reason I don't care for him, to put it politely.