1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett Press Conference -02/13/13 Interview Tweets Post #25

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,478 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    I don't think its about as to who calls plays, but more about what plays are being called and when, for me anyways. I don't care who calls them, but I want to see better situational play-calling and Garrett is horrendous in that department.

I wanted to see him say "Bill will call the plays with minimal input from me". They need to alter the playbook or at least use the current one correctly.

I would feel more confident with anyone other than Jason handling the in-game calls. Today, we did not get a definitive answer that a lot were hoping for, including me.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,846 Messages
    7,572 Likes Received
    If I care to, sure, I can tell you how I think you feel.

Guess what? You get to tell me how you feel about me doing it! Today's your lucky day, Rynie.
  3. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Home page of ESPNDallas

[IMG]
  4. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    This is getting more amusing and frustrating at the same time.

If anyone actually pays attention Garrett has said repeatedly COLLECTIVE game plan. We saw a lot more short passes to backs last season...west coast influence. As Dez flourished and Harris emerged we started seeing more crossing routes...again west coast. Callahan's finger prints are already all over the offense.

We need a better OL to help the running game. Do that and it won't matter who calls the plays.
  5. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,320 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    If the offense does that, we win more games. Win more games, we make the playoffs and Red might still be the HC in the future. I think he really believes the offense is great and that Callahan will botch it and the season will tank and Garrett will get fired over it.
  6. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,320 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Plays being called in already take quite awhile, not always leaving Romo much time to get situated. If playcalling each play now has to go through an extra person (Garrett) as well, we'll have many more delay of games. HC should determine the main overall focus of the offense, not individual plays IMO. I sure hope Garrett doesn't let Callahan call plays only to micromanage each and every play call.
  7. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I agree. But regardless of who's calling the plays, give us a good OL, the play-calling will be just fine. Keep the same one we have, it won't.
  8. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,562 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I am disappointed, as I now know we are not bringing in another offensive system.
    The one last year stunk.
    Not looking forward to another year of same ol , same ol on offense.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    The Ravens just won a Super Bowl with a similar system and they changed playcallers during the season.
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,413 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    I agree, he will be fine if that were to happen, but it might me an ego thing also (guessing here), but he seems adament that he's great at it. Always defending himself, etc.

With the Dallas media? If Cally, or whomever, comes in and can turn this piece of dung we've been seeing to a juggernaut they will voice that opinion of how much better he is then Jason.

Remember when the Rams wanted to get him as HC and the fans said they would not buy season tickets if he was the new HC? It's because he flopped that year with "his" offense.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'm guessing naming an OC other than himself would have done the trick.

Didn't realize that it took an entire offseason to announce who will call plays, provided they even have that figured out in the first place.
  12. Idgit

31,846 Messages
    7,572 Likes Received
    Actually, yeah. You're probably right. Depending on the OC, of course.

I don't see what the big deal is with the play calling, one way or another. They'll experiment with some things, and then decide what they think will work, and use the preseason to do it. Any deadline is purely artificial because the media suggested early on there would be a change to go along with the new offensive coaching hires. Why would we want the team to make a decision prematurely, anyway? There's nothing wrong with figuring out what you want to do before naming a play caller. That's not anything for anybody to get upset or impatient about.
  13. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I agree. As soon as the Dallas gets a top notch OL to go with their plethora of skill players, anyone should have success.
  14. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,413 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    So the new Oline will eliminate the pre-snap penalties, delay of games, and snapping the ball with 1 second left?
  15. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    For me, I don't consider anything to be premature when its the offseason.

Then again, I guess I don't consider identifying an OC as complicated as organizing the rover mission to Mars.

Either you have a guy who's an OC or you don't. Why sit around and see which turd floats first in the punchbowl?

If the team wants a change at OC, make Callahan the OC.

If Callahan isn't good enough and they won't hire another one, don't change anything.

It's really quite simple to me. Either you have a plan or you don't. If your plan includes "developing a plan" you don't have a plan and that's just about where Dallas seems to be on the OC position.

They'll spend all their time planning, analyzing, gathering input, processing data, creating excel charts and whatever else and then by the time the first game of the season rolls around they'll have used all their time planning and not enough time executing.
  16. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Probably not but I wasn't necessarily agreeing with him.

More along the lines of pointing out how ridiculous it is to need all the talent in the world at every position to succeed.
  17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,413 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    Remember they are planning to "try it out" by the first preseason game. That's so Orton and the Camp QB's can get use to him calling plays. :rolleyes:
  18. Idgit

31,846 Messages
    7,572 Likes Received
    Of course some things are premature in the offseason. There's an order to everything. They just completed the staff and are doing draft prep now. If he wants some time to sort out how he's going to free up his own schedule while still maintaining control of the offense, he gets it. He's already said it'll be sorted by the first preseason game. Sheesh.
  19. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

It took him 3 seasons to decide what defense he prefers to run, 6 months to decide who is calling plays is reasonable.
  20. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol...why do you and the media believe they owe you an explanation of their inner workings?....if he says "im calling plays" half the fan base and all the media whine and moan, if he says "Calli is calling plays" the other half and all the media whines and moans.....if he says nothing its the same thing....he cant win with this town and he knows it.....only thing that will stop the whining is winning ...and he knows this too...so why waste his time trying to please the unpleasable .......like he said ...they have a game in about 6 months, itll all be in place by then