1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett Senior Bowl Interview Tweets - 1/22/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
    #Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he's had long discussions with Jerry Jones about who will call play. Still working through it, but ...

Jason Garrett said he'd be comfortable with Bill Callahan calling the plays and it would give him the chance to oversee in-game more.

Jason Garrett: "It's never been hell or high water that I have to call the plays." Garrett said it just worked out for him to do it since HC

Garrett said he'd prefer to have have an OC handle off, DC handle def, and ST handle ST. And let him oversee it all.

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez
    Garrett says playcalling not decided yet. He would prefer to have OC, DC, ST handle their areas and free him up to manage team.

Garrett said he would feel comfortable with Callahan as playcaller. Indicated they'll take into account romo thoughts.

Garrett said he knows Jerry likes his HC to call plays, but that they've had discussions about it pro and con. Said its been done both ways.

Garrett did not commit to Boniol as kicking coach, Robinson as wr coach or any other offensive positions. 'We'll talk about all that.'

Garrett said No. 1 thing he thought about with DC change was turnovers. Credited Ryan's work thru injuries but had to have more turnovers.

mike fisher ‏@fishsports
    #Cowboys fans, Jason Garrett is abt to be 'walk-around' coach. Callahan remains OC leader in clubhouse. Details at 1130 on @1053thefan

------------------------
    Updating this post as more tweets get posted..
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,305 Messages
    1,469 Likes Received
    Nice job. I love reading these. I would be fine with Callahan calling the plays, just anyone but JG. We have had 7 years of bad play calling, time to give someone else a shot and see what happens.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Translation: "Jerry hasn't told me what he's doing there yet."

So funny that Garrett always wanted to call plays but now he's suddenly perfectly fine with not doing it.
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Ever thought you were good at something and changed your mind?

That's honestly never happened to you?
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Shinywalrus: Not in such a short period of time with no new evidence.

Do you really think Garrett suddenly reached this conclusion on his own?
  6. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,926 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Garrett is speaking the truth about the Dcoordinator change being all about turnovers. A very good reason to change the scheme and coaching. We have not been able to generate TOs in years.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,070 Likes Received
    I have to agree, CL. He's clearly making concessions to keep his job. I'd bet money on that.

So here's where we stand. We brought in Garrett as the new coach because he believed in his "process". Two years later after two seasons on the cusp of the playoffs despite a gigantic void of talent up front on both sides of the ball, Jerry has decided to retain Garrett but tweak his process. Because, ya know, if anybody knows how to fix a football team it's Jerry Jones.

It's the same micromanaging that has given you the last 17 years of futility.

That's just the way I see it.
  8. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Probably not, but does that matter? Even if Jerry or someone was the one who introduced the notion to him, what evidence do we have that Jason is pretending now?

It takes just as much faith to come to that conclusion, since we know that Jerry prefers a combination HC/OC. No matter what, we're saying that someone is changing their mind in this situation to make it work. Why not Jerry?
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,070 Likes Received
    If you can't pressure the QB, you won't get many turnovers.

If you want to really address the reason behind that I'd look at the decision to stockpile cornerbacks over a DC change.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    looks like jerry is talking right now...
  11. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

350 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    You ever think just maybe Jason was saying he loved calling the plays as head coach to tow the company line? Just a thought ? I mean do any of us truly know JG... Maybe all along Garrett would have preferred to have an OC however his boss was reportedly against having a walk around head coach so JG stayed steadfast in his approach and figured what the heck... I can do it...
  12. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    OK great, now get us a new OL coach who wil JUST take care of the O Line.

Sparano anyone? ;)
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    Tight Ends.
  14. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,284 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    Yes, that's it. Jerry FORCED Garrett to call his own plays! Keep repeating that to yourself and you may actually start to believe it.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    There's enough excuses going around for Garrett, but this one takes the cake.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    I can honestly tell you Garrett wanted to retain play calling duties when he took over as HC. I don't think he is being forced to do anything, but people won't believe that when the great and powerful Oz is the Owner/GM.
  17. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I don't know Gaede. There is so much confusion coming out right now (maybe, on purpose). we keep hearing that JG wants him to be just the coah and he's against it, but here, he says he just wants to be the coach basically. So, who's the guilty one - JJ or JG?
  18. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,284 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    If Jason Garrett wanted to call plays but was being forced to let someone else do it, do you think he'd be honest about that?
  19. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Hey, I'd be fine with Sparano at Tight Ends, O Line or RB for that matter. Any position that features blocking someone hard near the LOS. I'd just like to see the O line responsibilities taken from Callahan so he can focus on just being OC.
  20. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

350 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Easy bud... Didn't say I believed it... Just a random thought
    ...why don't you chill with your hate a bit ...