1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett Senior Bowl Interview Tweets - 1/22/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Why is this clear?

It could just as easily be him making a concession because it became clear that running the defense the way he wants the team to run it requires more of his time that he thought he'd have to give.

Or it could be that it took a year of working with Callahan to get to a point where the thought handing over the play calling reins made sense.

Or it could be that the calling of the actual plays is more done by several on the offensive staff and that 'turning it over' is actually more a matter of who tells the conclusion to Tony than anything else, and that handing that over frees him up to do other things he's decided he needs to make time for during games.

Or it could be that the new defensive organization under Kiffin requires him to do something during games that he didn't want to have to do under Ryan.

Or it could be that, after two years, he evaluated his own work and decided it was an opportunity to improve and he was going to take advantage of it.

Or it could be that it's up in the air right now because they don't know who the whole offensive staff is going to be and he wants to reserve judgement until he's got a staff in place.

Or it could be that his boss wants him to spend more time on coaching process and technique in all three phases of the game, and JG thinks he's the best person to oversee that total emphasis.

Or it could be that his boss has changed his mind and is making him hand over play calling duties.

The reality is, we just don't know. We don't know that he's even handing over play calling. And we don't know if that's going to be a good or a bad thing. We might have suspicions, but at the end of the day, they're only suspicions.

Honestly, I don't really care how the staff is organized or how the play calling duties are meted out. I imagine this is something that changes somewhat from year to year, anyway, depending who's on staff and what's needed across the team and depending on what technology is available. I think it's all a tempest in a tea cup. What matters are the new DC hire (which I can live with, but I don't love) and the new ST coordinator hire (which is a hugely important position where we just lost a very good coach and which is still vacant). These coordinator jobs are a lot more important than who's calling plays on an offense that JG is still going to be running, at the end of the day.

'Play calling' is mostly important as a symbol to unhappy fans who want to see some sign that the HC's authority is getting called into question, so they can later complain about an organization that hires puppets instead of actual leaders to run the team. That's a boring argument, in my opinion.
  2. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

264 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Wow ... Some of the posters here are brutal.. No one can interject a random possibility thought without getting ones head bit off.. Excuse me CZ elite .. Please by all means rule the thread waves and spew some more hatred.. I will go back to enjoying my life and just chuckling at some of the hate here while refraining from any comments
  3. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,658 Messages
    8 Likes Received

Or Ware playing injured for most of the season. And Ratilff missing most of the season with injuries. Not having a consistant pass rusher after Ware and Spencer. And probably your favorie reason: Not drafting David DeCastro, even though hes an Olinemen, and has nothing to do with russing the passer, but I figured you'd want to include him anyway.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    It is important, no vital, to always think the absolute worst of the organization.
  5. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    so true
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    It's more likely that Jason Garrett didn't decide to give up control over his own offense on game day, get rid of his brother and switch defensive schemes entering a year where his job is on the line.

When you factor that in with who he works for and that guy coming right out and telling you he's going to make it uncomfortable for everyone, it's pretty reasonable to assume the head coach has made concessions to keep his job.

I guess what is is, after 17 years of this nonsense, only one of us is still willing to make excuses for Jerry Jones.
  7. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,445 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Don't mind him. He's just one of these guys.

[IMG]

Easy to disregard once you see the avatar.
  8. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,545 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    I am not a Garrett support by any means, however I would think that he will put the club in front of himself. I would think after looking at the pros and cons he came out with the thought it would be best for him to just coach. The team seems to respond to his coaching style however he just isn't good at calling plays, or rather at adjustments.
  9. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    Someone besides me does that? Not one of those guys I take even slightly seriously.
  10. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    I agree it's a definite possibility. It's just that there's not enough to go on to say any conclusion is reasonable. To convince yourself that *anything* is clear is premature.

And no excuses for Jerry Jones need to be made. It might well be the case that he's messing with the structure behind the scenes. Who knows?

Personally, though, I think cutting two of the three coordinators and changes a few position coaches before we even get to player personnel more than qualifies as making things 'uncomfortable'. Not sure why that description of the offseason gets mocked after the way things have transpired, either.
  11. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,163 Messages
    786 Likes Received

Aww. That makes me sad.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone knows who wanted what when between Garrett and Jerry.

I do know that one of Garrett's well know mentors, Jimmy Johnson, has been adamant that Garrett should NOT be calling the plays as a young Head-Coach.

I do know that Jerry has said multiple times that he wanted the Head-Coach to be a coordinator/play-caller.

I think everything else is conjecture.
  13. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    I am telling the truth. I have never been all that big on lynch mobs mentality.
  14. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    This is interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for making that point.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    I don't think it's a possibility. I think it's a probability. Verging on an absolute certainty.

If you think Jerry made those comments and then allowed Jason Garrett to dictate the offseason changes there's a gap between our views on the issue that can not be bridged. I see Jason Garrett as a coach losing whatever power he had in the organization.

And he'll be the ex-coach if he's not in the playoffs next year.
  16. DOUBLE WING

3,163 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    It's just an avatar. It's really not that big a deal. It's not like everyone who has that avatar gangs up on a thread together as soon as one of us posts.
  17. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,545 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    Don't let some of these couch GM's get to you. They think they know how to run a team, yet in all their years of sitting on the couch not 1 NFL team has contacted them to do the job. However they will just spew nonsense just to get a rise out of others and try to bully their opinions on to others because they think they are right. It's all about the shock and awe of it really. They get a rise out of trying make someone look like a fool for giving their 2 cents like they do.
  18. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    It looks like groupthink. I'm not telling you to not use it. I am simply saying that much like GROZ and other "movements" it looks like pitchfork and torch thinking rather than rational thought. I disregard the poster immediately.
  19. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,445 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Glad I'm not alone in that. Now I think there might be even more of us. Personally, I tend to read them as one useless entity, although I've basically stopped reading them too carefully. Easier and less of a waste or time to just scroll on through.
  20. DOUBLE WING

3,163 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    What's wrong with groupthink? Some of the most profound changes in American history have happened when a group of people got together and decided they wanted to make a change.

Anyway, that's not even what's happening here anyway. It's just a bunch of people using the same avatar. I don't even think our "group" (which isn't really a group) has a name. Nothing like GROZ.