1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jason Garrett: Tony Romo has a bright future leading the Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 1, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,657 Messages
    4,789 Likes Received
    Posted by Michael David Smith on January 1, 2013, 7:35 PM EST

A three-interception game in a crucial Week 17 contest hasn’t cost Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo the confidence of his coach: Jason Garrett says that he remains a believer in Romo and looks forward to coaching him for years to come.

We have a great belief of Tony Romo as our quarterback,” Garrett said. “Tony has won a lot of big games for us, too, to get us to the point where we can play for the division in Week 17 in consecutive years. We all know that we want to take the next step, and Tony is going to be a big part of that going forward. You have to understand the whole body of work. You have to understand that winning is how we get evaluated. He’s done a lot of great things for this franchise. We’re excited about him being our quarterback.”

More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...romo-has-a-bright-future-leading-the-cowboys/
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,233 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    EVERYBODY DUCK...................for now I agree with the article though
  3. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,430 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    As the offseason goes on I think you will start to see some indicators that Dallas is going to take a hard look at a QB in the draft. They were interested in Dalton 2 years ago right? Right now they way it stands if we would have gotten him do you think they would make the switch to him this offseason? Considering Romo age? Contract? And lack of being able to get it done in do or go home games? I would think the answer is yes they would. So with that being said that after all the bowl games senior bowl and combine I expect to start hearing whispers. That Dallas is interested in a QB. Just my opinion.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,579 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,657 Messages
    4,789 Likes Received
    I don't think the Cowboys have ever really shied from drafting a young QB, tho.

They drafted McGee and the rumor was that they liked Andy Dalton.

I think it's a matter of time, overall needs, and circumstances falling into the right place.
  6. CowboyStar88

4,430 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    I think with Landry jones coming out and the relationship with stoops I think there is a strong possibility that Dallas drafts him.
  7. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    sounds like Jason is drinking what Jerry has been drinking.
  8. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lets all go out to the magic QB tree and pick another one! Who will be the next Quincy Carter?
    Lets worry about Oline and Safety before we throw a pick away on Drew Henson.
  9. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Great! Now Tony can get an early start to his golf season in peace.
  10. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    We're a team built to win now, well at least according to Jerry, if we move on from Tony right now it sets us back as a franchise about 5-7 years.

I can't stomach another 5-7 years of being under. 500. At least with Tony he gives us a chance to win now. Get Tony some more better players around him and he'll take us to the promiseland.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,681 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Yes, let's NEVER take another QB for fear of getting another Quincy or Drew Hensen.

Let's pray that we find another URFA from Eastern Illinois.

That will really set us up for success.
  12. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,433 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    I still like Tony. He still gives us the best chance to win. But I will be somewhat disappointed if we do not take a hard look in the draft and try and find the next Russell Wilson in round three or so.
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    People act as though Romo's tenure as the starting QB has been a "success"... Get off your high horses and understand the fact that this is a very mediocre team with Romo at the helm.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Kitna came in and proved that their would be life after Romo. The team played better with Kitna at QB than Romo. I like Romo, but another QB may be a good thing.
  15. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,775 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    No, in 2010, the team played better after Wade got fired.
  16. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,745 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    I'm always for upgrading our talent, ... but the guys that we have RIGHT NOW, injuries and all, busted their butts for 56 minutes, and gave the ball to Tony Romo very late in the 4th quarter of a "win and you're in" game for the Divisional Championship Title and a trip to the playoffs.

That ball is the "gold!" The "gold" is what it is all about.

They gave it to him and trusted him with the "gold".

He backpedaled and flipped a rainbow to the other team. Terrible decision and terrible throw.

You can get all of the "better players around him" that you can find, ... and you still have a good chance of the same results.

I love Romo, have always supported him, .. was at his first start in Carolina, .. it pains me to say all of this, but that is what happened.

Having said all of that, we cannot just get rid of him to be getting rid of him, .. we have to keep him until we can transition to another quality QB. We have to find our next QB before he leaves.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    And that's why you draft a guy like Geno Smith this year and let Romo start in 2013 while Smith gets ready.
  18. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,745 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    That might not be a bad idea, .. because Geno needs a year or so before he is ready.

But with Geno, you get a great kid who is eager to learn.

First to practice, last to leave. He will wear the coaches out with watching film and asking questions.

Strong arm, very accurate. Reads the field, finds the open man. He has an NFL arm.

Football is his No. 1 priority, .. better said, football is his only priority.

He can't do the escape moves that Romo does, but neither can Brady or Manning, etc.

With experience, and good QB coaching, he will be a solid NFL QB.
  19. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have FAR more pressing concerns than QB on this team. Waste a pick on a QB from a draft class that has next to nothing QB wise coming out of it, or build an offensive line...hmmm, not a tough choice there.
  20. CowboyStar88

4,430 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    How are we built to win now? because of ware and witten? Have you seen the record the last 3 years? What's the difference between missing the playoffs the last 3 years and being 5-11 and missing the playoffs when campo was coaching? I mean really? We took Carter as a reach pick, we haven't drafted a first rd QB since Troy, and we haven't won anything since. So why not get a guy in the first rd and build around him.