1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jason Hatcher: Ben Bass ‘is going to be the reason I’m playing on a different team next year’

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ilykdrama, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ilykdrama

ilykdrama Active Member

284 Messages
    131 Likes Received
  2. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,059 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    This sounds like a vet who has been around and accepts the reality of how the NFL works. While Bass may not be as good as Hatcher, he's serviceable enough to take Hatcher's place at probably 1/3 or 1/4 of the price.
  3. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    I really hope that Hatcher sticks around, I feel like he's going to really shine in the new scheme.
    ilykdrama likes this.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,228 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    We don't have the depth to let Hatcher walk.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,762 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    I'm actually thinking Dallas won't have a real problem being able to keep Hatcher around. i really like him but I don't see him being a guy whose going to really be able to command any kind of big money anywhere so I can see Dallas being able to keep him at a very servicable contract.
  6. fffiasco

fffiasco Member

734 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    You would be surprised, remember Chris Canty and Stephen Bowen?
    Future likes this.
  7. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Hatcher isn't really a guy to take too seriously in front of the mic.

1) There's no real leaders on this team.
    2) Tyrone Crawford will end up in the Hall of Fame.
    3) I don't give a crap where I'm playing next year.

Is context important on each of these? Sure. But others are wise enough to speak in a less controversial manner. Hatcher is a good example why you have to be discriminating about which player/ex-player you listen to.
    Cogan likes this.
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Yea, Hatch is a bit of a scatter brain when you put a mic in front of his face. He's admitted that he doesn't like doing interviews. Just take the comment for what it was intended to be, a compliment of a teammate, and move on. Nothing to see here.
    Wheeltax likes this.
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    You may be correct. This last offseason was a weird market for some. Some guys are getting caught in the crosshairs of that. Everyone would love to have quality depth. But we'll have enough front-line guys that need to be taken care of. Hatcher is not a Canty or Bowen situation. They were both considerably younger than Hatcher when they hit the market..
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    He certainly has proven nothing at this point but the coaching staff is probably very thankful for this college backup who seems to have found a good situation for himself. We look to be holding our own in the drafts early rounds these days (2010,11,12) but to overcome some of our contract boo-boos we're going to need to find some diamonds in the rough.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Did you hear his interview with Gordon Keith on the Ticket? It was pretty bad...
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    If it was from a few months ago, i think i know which one you're talking about.. haha.
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,836 Messages
    3,834 Likes Received
    Would you prefer cookie cutter answers from Ware? Hatcher speaks from the gut. Not sure why you wouldn't appreciate that.
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,434 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    True but Hatcher just turned 31, while Canty and Bowen were in their mid 20s, I believe. Can't see Hatcher getting a long-term, lucrative contract from any team...
  15. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Because it tends to be way off-base. I know you actually believe the "no leaders" bit from the Dez thread. I don't. Do you also believe that Crawford is showing signs of being a Hall of Fame player?
  16. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,608 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    tell ratliff that
  17. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,434 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Hatcher has never played at the level of Ratliff IMO.

I just see Hatcher as a steady, solid player who won't "take over" a game like DeMarcus Ware can.
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,836 Messages
    3,834 Likes Received
    When did Crawford say the Hall of Fame comment? Was it possibly tongue in cheek?

The no leaders comment was 100% truth. You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it. 2010 doesn't happen with real leaders in the locker room.
  19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Canty was 26 and Bowen was 27 when they hit free agency. Hatcher will be 32. Big big difference there in terms of who is interested and at what cost.
  20. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    It was Hatcher who called Crawford a future Hall of Famer after he suffered his recent achilles injury. So no, it wasn't tongue in cheek.

Were there real leaders in the 2007 locker room when we collapsed at 6-10 in Switzers final year? BTW - Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt & Woody were all there. It's not quite as simple as you want it to be IMO.

My point was that you really have to take what Hatcher says with a grain of salt. Choose to believe whatever you wish. Your opinion might be that the "no leaders comment was 100% truth." But that doesn't make it so anymore than my opinion disproves it. What does appear abundantly clear is that Hatcher himself is no leader of this team because if he were he wouldn't proclaim to the world that he doesn't give a crap where he plays next year.

BTW - I still really like Hatcher as a player. And I sympathize with him having to do interviews when he doesn't feel comfortable doing so.
    Dash28 likes this.