1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jaws Wouldnt Take JFF in the First 3 Rounds - Yet Jerry Praises Johnny

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Feb 26, 2014.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received

reading comprehension is your friend. I said Maybe around 20. Those concerns I had would have to be settled to take him even there. If those concerns are not met not until the end of the 2nd at best. More likely take him off the board completely.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,012 Messages
    1,873 Likes Received
    Well, I completely understand why Jaworski said what he did. I mean, it's his opinion.
  3. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received

Ok. You are now changing your thought from a value pick "maybe around 20" to taking him "completely off your board" for durability concerns both physical and emotional. Got it.

For me I have previously stated that he is not a 1st round pick but at some point I roll the dice. [IMG]
  4. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,274 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    all 3 QB's will be gone by #11 pick. Houston, Cleveland, Vikings, Titans
    OhSnap likes this.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    "i've only looked at 5 games..."

way to do your homework, son.
    OhSnap likes this.
  6. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,273 Messages
    2,100 Likes Received
    Name someone who does.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,367 Messages
    2,980 Likes Received
    No one.

That's why I take just about everything with a grain of salt.
  8. TwoDeep3

6,273 Messages
    2,100 Likes Received
    I tire of the slay the messenger point of view. No one is infallible. But these guys are paid to give opinions. because they played the game. The America has become so cynical.
  9. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,641 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Ryan Clark just nailed it on ESPN, my thoughts exactly-"He is a project and projects don't go #1 overall".
    khiladi likes this.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,768 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    Explained it perfectly to me. If I were HOU, I'd either take Clowney or seek a trade. .
  11. MichaelWinicki

32,367 Messages
    2,980 Likes Received
    Trust no one. :D

But keep in mind that several so-called experts are expecting bid things out of the kid.
  12. TwoDeep3

6,273 Messages
    2,100 Likes Received
    I just wonder with his speed and ability, along with his supreme confidence if this might not be the first player to be suggested he is like Staubach.

I despise the Aggies, This is not a homer call.

I have no idea what he will do. But he sure seems to win.
  13. MichaelWinicki

32,367 Messages
    2,980 Likes Received
    The kid has a bag-load of tools.

I think he's going to do well.
  14. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    well to be realistic SOMEONE will take him in the first round unless he is caught with drugs or does something really dumb between now and the draft. So deciding to not take him in the first round would pretty much mean the same as taking him off your board.
  15. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received

lot of so called experts expected lots of big from Ryan Leaf as well.........
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,109 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    why is Manziel a project? thats just ridiculous.
  17. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

772 Messages
    305 Likes Received
  18. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,244 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    Drafting is like gambling. You really don't know until you know. And you won't know until a few years in. That goes for all players.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,768 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    If you get a chance to listen to what Jaws actually said you would understand. He questions his pocket habits, thinks he is a one read thrower, ect.
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    i guess i just don't buy into hype and great college play. let's take a look at the draft history of qb's.

2013 - chock full of 'meh.
    2012 - luck. yes. he is living up to the hype. griffin, bad place? wrong system? is he living up to it or will his greatest contribution be his wounded knee in a michael jackson parody? wilson in the 3rd. foles in the 3rd. wow. 2 solid qb's who benefit from system as much as anything.
    2011 - cam newton - debatable, but ok. kaepernick, dude, stop kissing yourself.
    2010 - bradford and tebow in round 1. nuf said.
    2009 - stafford. good call. the rest is a who's who of who are you.
    2008 - ryan, solid qb. flacco, him or the system? (or is it a combo of it all???)
    2007 - let's pretend this year didn't happen.
    2006 - cutler is the only one still starting as far as i know and that's falling
    2005 - alex smith, took a new system to get him to drive a bus, rodgers, yea, living up to it. orton, may not be back next year as i hear it.
    2004 - this was a qb rich draft. eli went first and outside of being a manning, not worth it. rivers, solid, but not stellar. ben rapethisburger, i'd have to say lived up to the position fo the draft.
    2003 - palmer. really? hindsight really has to crack people up at times.
    2002 - 3 1st round qb's who's best memory is that a brother is coming up in this draft. or is it son? damn time moves so funny.
    2001 - vick in the 1st. brees in the 2nd. i'll bet that old hindsight would really swap those two out, huh? but wait - we have carter in the 2nd by the cowboys!!! wait, that was stupid.
    2000 - brady in the 6th.
    1999 - let's all sing prince tunes - mcnabb, love the air guitar stupidity, but he did well for where he was.
    1998 - peyton. not a huge fan of the man but hey, he's legit HOF 100%. followed by our all time fav backup in the 1st, leaf. remember that controversy?
    1997 - plummer in the 2nd. drunkenmiller in the 1st? really?
    1996 - wow, no 1st round qb taken.
    1995 - meh, i think i've made my point.

my point is that 3 qb's are likely to be taken by the 1st 10 picks.in 18 years, that's never worked out. it's not about getting the best stud out of college and going WHEEE we landed this years top prospect!!!!

it's about making sure the players fit what you're out to do. in every single qb listed up there only peyton and brady are game changers. the rest, were they worth the pick? i'm guessing 9 times out of 10 the team would not draft that player if they knew what would happen. or maybe they'd look into how to better build around the talent their bus driver had.

we do live in an IGS and it's not just posters. isn't even harbaugh on the outs in SF? yes teams can build quickly but can they succeed? seattle did but i'd not say wilson made the difference. he's a bus driver. bortles from UCF - i lived in orlando and loved seeing the kid play. but is he a solid qb or is a team trying to buy a tide he's not creating?

i don't care if johnny football is there at 16. the reward isn't worth the risk and qb isn't our issue, defense is. build whatever case you need to on romo but as a UDFA he's done better than 90% of the top 2 rounds picks of the last 20 years. qb will be an issue in 2-3 years. not now.

not now.

argue the contract all you want, but there will be another johnny football next year.

there always is.

they seldom pan out.