1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jay Cutler 7-yr Contract Extension - $50 mil guaranteed

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 2, 2014.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    That is all you got out of my post. You are the one that said Romo has accomplished less than Cutler in their careers. Then you state that Cutler is the Bears all-time passing yards leader(actually you said 2nd) as an example as to why he has accomplished more than Romo. Cutler is franchise record holder and Romo is not. That is a terrible example of why Cutler is more accomplished than Romo, which he is not. For Romo to be the all-time Cowboys passing yards leader he has to accumulate far more yards than what Cutler has had to do to hold the Bears record. Now you throw out Adrian Peterson snippet as a distraction.
  2. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,309 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Same situation as Romo. If you approved of Romo's contract, you should have no problem with Cutler's and vice versa.

It appears that these kind of contracts for the level below elite QBs are now the norm.

I think the Bears would have been better off going with McCown and drafting a QB, but if they believe in him as much as Jerry believes in Romo, then I don't fault them for it.
  3. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,540 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    I agree.

I don't fault the Bears for the signing. People seem to think that quality quarterbacks grow on trees when in reality they are hard to come by. Some teams in this league would kill for Romo or Cutler.

Be thankful that we had one fall in our laps because there isn't going to be a Sean Payton or Bill Parcells next time.
  4. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,931 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    By your logic Brandon Jacobs is more accomplished than Adrian Peterson.
  5. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

2,835 Messages
    1,793 Likes Received
    Mediocre?

No reason to discuss this with such an irrational mind.
    Smith22, Nation, nake and 1 other person like this.
  6. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,540 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Yea I read that, too.

Don't feed the troll!
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I agree that based on the current standards the Bears made a good move. It is pretty much their only move. The alternative is go find another QB. Sure they possibly can find another young guy at least as good as Cutler and maybe eventually better, but they can also end up with another Rex Grossman. They know what Cutler is both good and bad. I think he is alright. He isn't as good as Romo, but he is better than what many other teams have.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    no point in wasting any more time with you
    Smith22 likes this.
  9. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

901 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    Yes, mediocre. Is Matt Stafford elite because he's complied nice numbers? Tony Romo and Jay Cutler both have 1 playoff victory during their illustrious careers. Team game, yeah...but they're the most important aspects of the team. Three consecutive 8-8 seasons now with Tony Romo...how is that not the very definition of mediocre?
  10. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

901 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    That wasn't my rationalization as to why Cutler was more accomplished, I used that example to state that both Romo and Cutler have all these accolades, but have nothing to show for it...so if it's dumb to give Jay Cutler such a lucrative contract, then it was dumb to give Romo a similar contract.

The Adrian Peterson example was to simply point out your argument that since "it's just the Bears" that his Bears passing statistics really aren't all that impressive.

Who exactly was it that complied incredible stats before Tony Romo got here? Sure wasn't Aikman, Danny White? not really. If you're going to use the same criteria to put a guy on a pedestal (all time whatever for his team) than it needs to be a universal criteria no matter what team it is.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,336 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    "You make your money in the regular season...you make your legacy in the playoffs." - John Elway

Both QB's suck, move on.
    HappyOnions likes this.
  12. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

901 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    You really haven't wasted any time at all.

Your rebuttals:
    "another one who failed football 101"

"no you are not being objective. Because outside of Romo haters find someone with credibility that would take Cutler over Romo."
  13. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,136 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    I always thought cutler was a bit of a headcase, at the very least i think we can say his play is erratic.

Will throw for a lot of yards but play is inconsistent and i just dont get the feeling at all that he is a team player or leader.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,119 Messages
    2,224 Likes Received
    You think Tony Romo has been mediocre?

He's not Brady, Brees et al, but that's harsh.
  15. Toruk_Makto

2,835 Messages
    1,793 Likes Received
    You're just...like...not smart.
    Vintage likes this.
  16. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

901 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    Thanks.
  17. Toruk_Makto

2,835 Messages
    1,793 Likes Received
    Big team. Mediocre record. Everyone on the team must be mediocre.

Thats real good thinking.
    Vintage likes this.
  18. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,225 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    I like that Elway quote...
  19. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

901 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    Blindly acting like Romo's ridiculous errors aren't the biggest part of this teams mediocrity is even better thinking.
  20. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

680 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Bad signing. They should have signed Josh McCown. long term and traded Cutler.