1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jay Ratliff wrecks truck, arrested for DWI **merged*

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Rogerthat12, Jan 22, 2013.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    What in the heck makes you think we can't cut Ratliff again, if we want to?

Its absurd to think we can't cut a player if we don't want him on the team anymore.
  2. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,839 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Really? You think the league or the union is going to go to bat for a guy who got a DWI 6 weeks after his teammate died in a DWI accident?

I'm guessing you don't work in PR....
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,201 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    I'm guessing you don't know unions.
  4. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Not really.. when you drive into the back of a freakin 18 wheeler you're either drunk or an imbecile.

With Rat.. i suspect it was a bit of both.

If we want to cut him.. he's gone.
  5. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,839 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Maybe.

But its a big black eye to the Dallas Cowboys and the league if Jay Ratliff is on the roster and starting week one of the 2013 season after what the team went through, and Jerry the Marketer and the league and even the union knows it.

We'll see.
  6. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

373 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I dont think the Cowboys will cut Ratliff.

Regarding if they have the ability to cut Ratliff if they wanted to I believe it is easily yes. Terrell Owens was released by the Eagles eventually the issue with TO was that the Eagles wouldn't cut him during the season so he could sign with another team and instead deactivated him for the rest of the season while trying to cut his salary. I believe that is what happened...

If you want an example Brandon Jacobs was released from the 49ers right when he couldn't sign with another team in the playoffs after he was suspended for running his mouth about the 9ers.
  7. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    [IMG]

What an idiot. This couldn't be worse timing. I wouldn't be surprised if we just cut him tbh.

And so much for fixing the O-Line in the draft.. Looks like we'll be drafting D-Line with at least our first 2 picks now. Sweet.
  8. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    693 Likes Received

Not quite. I believe you mean *Sheldon Richardson.
  9. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    It's like the Rooney Rule. Teams only have to show the minimal amount of interest in interviewing a minority coach if they already have someone specific in mind. The Cowboys can easily cite Ratliff's production, injuries, salary, cap number or switching schemes if they want to cut Ratliff. There are protections in the CBA to cover players from being cut for off field violations, but as long as Jones doesn't come out and say "I'm cutting Ratliff for his DUI arrest" it should be pretty simple.
  10. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    A need based draft would be the absolute worse thing we could do at this point. Since we have so many holes, its not like we will fill them all anyway so we just need to add the most talent as we possibility can come draft time (BPA), regardless of position. Heck, we could pick almost any position at this point, and its a need anyway.

There isn't one position group on this team that couldn't use an upgrade with youth while getting rid of bad contracts.
  11. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Why Jay? Why?

Pending the results of this blood test, but you have to be really stupid to pull off this move.

Drinking and driving is a stupid and dangerous thing to do. Many of us have been guilty of this CRIME. Lets not all act like saints here. How many times have you had a drink or two at a bar, restaurant, friends house, and drove home? Even if its a few blocks? Many of us have.

But with that being said, its wrong and its a stupid thing to do. Especially for a member of this football team. A few months after one of your teammates was killed, and another jailed. You go and have some drinks and risk that? There is a service set up for the team to drive you home.

Joe Citizen does not always have that ability to get a free ride home. Some of us have friends and others have to call cabs. While some of us take that risk every weekend.

Look at the news folks, its not just this team. Numerous law enforcement officers themselves are arrested each year. One of them just killed someone last week in fort worth. This is an epidemic. And it needs to stop.
  12. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    About 15,000 a year.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,909 Messages
    3,048 Likes Received
    I didn't say you couldn't cut him at all.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,909 Messages
    3,048 Likes Received
    And I said the league would take sides???? The league would discipline him not the club.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,750 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    I came within a foot of doing the same after almost falling asleep on the wheel. It was late and I was younger, but I can assure you I had not a drop of alcohol in me.

So yeah, I'm an imbecile, but not a criminal. Maybe Ratliff did the same.
  17. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Congrats, Ratliff, you have just secured a special place in the ranks of idiots of have played professional sports.
  18. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,324 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Too answer your question No there imbeciles.

I think Imbecile is lower on the scale then idiot. Could be wrong but anyway pick one with Rat it fits
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I ran into the back of a car when i fell asleep at the wheel for a second lucky i was able to wake up in time and put on the brakes to keep from making it a bad wreck just a minor fender bender.

I did not have one drop of alcohol I was running on about 12 hours of sleep for the week and driving back from Military drill going from Austin, TX to Huntsville TX oh and we had been in the field all weekend and I had to first drive back from Camp Bulis to Austin and unload and wash the vehicle.

Been there before scared the crap out of me falling asleep at the wheel like that.
  20. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,221 Messages
    763 Likes Received
    Pro Athlete culture. They are coddled and told they are special for so long that they think they are invincible, even when something like the Jerry Brown situation hits so close to home.