1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jenkins' inexperience in the slot is showing, but Garrett says CB is doing a good job

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 19, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,457 Messages
    4,411 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Inexperience got the best of Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins on a few plays as he played the slot cornerback position against the Steelers, but overall, he did a good job, coach Jason Garrett said.

“They made a couple of plays on third down, or down in the red zone, where it’s almost as much as anything else him having experience seeing some of those combinations,” Garrett said. “But he’s competing hard. He’s playing the right way.”

“When you play inside, things happen on both sides of you,” Garrett said. “When you play outside, typically the quarterback is inside and there’s a different perspective on it. Like the positions in baseball, you see the game differently at third base as opposed to second base. I think that’s what he’s going through right now – just experience and how to pounce on the coverage opportunities that he has.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-says-veteran-corner-is-doing-a-good-job.html
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,604 Messages
    5,336 Likes Received
    This must be regarding the stacked red zone out routes we got burned on. Anybody know what's the proper coverage for that outside route on the inside receiver in that situation, anyway? Seems like a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't proposition for the CB to me.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    As they mentioned in the game the defensive call made it almost impossiable for Jenkins to be able to break up that pass.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,604 Messages
    5,336 Likes Received
    Yeah. It looked like one where the receiver's going to adjust based off of whichever guess you make. Garrett's comments, though, imply that Jenkins didn't play it exactly right. I wonder what he's supposed to do in that case, because there weren't a lot of good options. 'Cover better,' I guess, is one possibility.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,034 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I'm sure the Saints will see that on film and try to exploit it... I hope Jenkins is ready.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,147 Likes Received
    To me it just looked as if Jenkins was tryng to take the inside move away from the WR and when he went outside Jenkins was not in a position to make the play.