1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jennifer Floyd Engel-->Parcells trips over comment at media session

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by adbutcher, Jun 8, 2004.

1. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,708 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Parcells trips over comment at media session

By Jennifer Floyd Engel
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - You do not have to listen to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells for long to realize: "He ain't from around here."

His New Jersey-isms almost require a translator.

But Monday, while doing his normal, 45-minute question-and-answer session with the media, Parcells used a term that is considered a racial slur by some. He referred to "Jap plays" while talking about how his assistant coaches like to get the best of each other in practice. The word Jap is short for Japanese and is defined as a term of hostility and contempt.

"I've got two guys, Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer, you got to keep an eye on those two. Because they are going to try to get the upper hand,"

Parcells said. "Mike wants the defense to do well, and Sean, he is going to have a few, no disrespect to the Orientals, but what we call Jap plays, OK. Surprise things and oh ... "

Parcells, at this point, paused and apologized again.

"No disrespect to anyone," he said. "But you have to watch [Payton and Zimmer] because they will sabotage each other."

Nobody followed up with Parcells about the comment during the news conference, but he issued an apology later in the day.

"Today, during my news conference, I made a very inappropriate reference, and although I prefaced it with the remark 'no disrespect to anyone intended,' it was still uncalled for and inconsiderate. For that, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended," Parcells said in a statement.

A Japanese journalist, who was at Valley Ranch on Monday to write a story on the Cowboys, said he was not offended.

"There is a lot of chance for someone to feel offended," said Akira Kuboshima, an editor for American Football Magazine in Japan. "To me, it is no big deal."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Floyd Engel, (817) 390-7760 jenfloyd@star-telegram.com
  2. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received

If you watch ESPN's SportsCenter you'd think it was a huge deal. I love the way the media makes mountains out of molehills. :rolleyes:
  3. SoTex

SoTex Giddy Up

1,136 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did not watch ESPN last night. Does anyone know if people at ESPN are upset over the use of the word "Jap" or the way BP used the term "surprise"?
  4. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    people are just bored and have nothing else to talk about. it's no big deal.
  5. chargrove

chargrove Member

600 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    maybe if they wouldn't have pulled the whole pearl harbor thing... :cool:
  6. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    by the people who are so easily "offended".

They are lying scumbags out for attention.

And when they do crap like that, it takes away from when somebody says something hurtful and actually meant it that way.

I hate the media.
  7. NorthDalal

NorthDalal Member

621 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The term is fading from the American slang, but has been used to mean "insideous and despicable sneak attack".

Jen Olsen (and Cowlishaw) doesn't have her facts right and anyone who considers the term to harsh, is obviously too detached in their video-game world to treat the "Day that will live in infamy" as an unimportant historical side note that just happened to take the lives of 2900 Americans.

This kind of feel-good touchy feely forgetfulness sets the stage for the WTC attack and more like it.

N. Korea's got to be figuring-what's a little mass murder when Uncle Sam will come in later and rebuild for us.

Forgiving unspeakable acts of horror because someone can make a good economy car will have to wait another generation.
  8. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    You really hit it home. People need to remember this isn't really a racial slur, its a slur on a nationality. A nation that chose to bomb us unprovoked. A slur that was popularized and used widely for 30+ years without given a second thought. I word that has become mainstream in American slang. Perhaps the Japanese are offended by this word but it is my feeling that they will just have to get used to it. Consider it payback for the unprovoked attack this is still very much remembered in this country.
  9. T-New41

T-New41 Shut 'em Down

2,227 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Actually I consider the 2 nuclear bombs we dropped on them payback for the unprovoked attack. :rolleyes:

And why tf does a slur that was used for 30 + years w/o a 2nd thought make it ok? Did you know the N-word was used describing black people for many years w/o a 2nd thought? Does that make it OK? No.

The Japanese paid 10 fold for their attack on Pearl Harbor. Just because your ancestors did something, does that mean you should have to pay for it? If your ancestors slaughtered the native americans, should we blame you? If your ancestors were slavers, should you be required to shoulder the blame?

Most Japanese today had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor, so why would you continue to hold it against them?
  10. Barrister

Barrister Member

58 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Eric Boyer,

I can't believe you made that comment. You're going to use the actions of one generation of Japanese against the rest of them for perpetuity? Wow. Heck, it wasn't even all of the Japanese---just a handful of officers who made the decision to attack Pearl Harbor.

Well, if you're going to take THAT route, then we need to come up with a term for Americans. I mean, it WAS we who engaged in widespread betrayal and (subsequently) murder of millions of Native Americans in order to take over this land that you and I live on, right? I mean, it WAS we who subjected millions of african americans to slavery, right? What about the internment of innocent Japanese during WW2? What about the forced segregation of african-americans as recently as the 1950s? What about the numerous atrocities (e.g., My Lai massacre in Vietnam, current abuse of Iraqi prisoners) performed by members of our military? Should current and future generations of Americans be judged by these actions?

I guess I am shocked by the insensitivity (and ignorance) being portrayed by some of the posters here. I have numerous Japanese friends, and all of them had as much to do with the attack on Pearl Harbor as you did with any of the aforementioned events. Yet I'm to tell them that I'm entitled to call them "Japs" because of it? That is just ignorant, and you know it.

A couple of things. First of all, I am from the Philippines, and my grandfather actually was in the Bataan death march under the hands of the Japanese, so I would have as much reason as any of you to look back to that time period and those actions with contempt. However, I understand that that WAS another time, and those WERE different people.

Secondly, this is not about political correctness (or, as some ignorantly put it, wussifying America); it's about cultural sensitivity. It's easy to disparage an attempt to remove certain racial/ethnic slurs from our language because chances are YOU are not a member of the group that is the subject of the slurs.

Look, I love Parcells, and wish this whole thing would blow over. I did not take offense to his use of either "orientals" or "Jap" because I know that he did not mean any offense, and where no offense is given, none can be taken. Still, what Parcells did was use a term, "Jap", in a manner that equates a slang reference to an ethnic group with "surprise attack" or "sneaky". It wasn't mean-spirited, just insensitive, and I'm sure he'll learn from that.

Anyways, that's just my two cents on the issue. I do think the media is getting carried away w/ the whole thing, but that's what you get during slow sportsnews days.
  11. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Active Member

533 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I just about spit out my water when I read this. Flawless humor bro... too good.
  12. coach316

coach316 Member

630 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is the most intelligent thing I've read on this subject the entire day.
  13. Eric_Boyer

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    I think you took my post completely out of context.

Slang takes on a life of its own and the term now equates to a trick or a surprise. It is clearly not ian insult on a race or even a nationality.

I don't think Americans needs to be overly concerned with this. If some people want to be offended by it they better take a long look at how it came to be so in the history of this country and maybe they will think twice about voicing their objections.

But hey, it's just an opinion.
  14. Eric_Boyer

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Native Americans do have some terms for us. White Devil is one of them.

realizing our role in history I wouldn't even think to claim foul for such a term.
  15. Barrister

Barrister Member

58 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Eric,

Well, you're right, it's just an opinion. I may not agree with yours, but I respect it. But there's one thing I'm sure we both agree on: this whole mess is bad for the whole Cowboys organization, and the sooner this whole thing passes into obscurity, the better. :cool:
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    The term "Indian Giver" is also a term formed because of the way the American Government kept signing treaties with native americans, giving them land for their reservations and then taking back those lands when it was found out they had value.