1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerrah at the combine

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by burmafrd, Feb 25, 2007.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Just now. Did not say much except that the staff is supposedly just about complete. STill sounding like TO will be back. FA: working on Columbo. Says that the prices are high and might not spend much "keep it in the pocket"
    Said spent too much last year and that it was "my fault". Does not want to pay "mid tier" like they are top tier-that is bad business.
  2. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I saw that interview too, and I haven't seen a thing that makes me believe that Jerry is going to spend big again this year.
  3. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    I think it is a given that we are not going after thomas. Now I am doubting we make a serious play for either Steinbach or Dielman.
  4. stealth

stealth Benched

4,882 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am still not ruling anything out jerry is a spin master. Part of the reason I like him is you never see half the crap he does coming.
  5. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    He might be thinking more of this coming year and getting Newman and some other guys extended instead of shopping FA right now. Which has its points.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    Maybe he was being unclear when asked a clear question.
  7. Cowboys&Caps

Cowboys&Caps New Member

1,701 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    thats so wordy......just say Redskins Front Office.
  8. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    well, its it really necessary to mention the skins as regards bad business? thats all they have known since Danny Boy showed up.
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Maybe JJ waits for the first week or two of FA to end before he makes his move? Some of the froth will be gone by then.
  10. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,707 Messages
    224 Likes Received

Yup!!!!!:lmao2:
  11. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,577 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Remember, Jerry............ never shop for groceries hungry.
  12. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,487 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I have no doubt we'll sign someone in FA, but it would be foolish to sign the top money getters at OLB (when you supposedly have 3 in Ware, Ellis, Carpenter) or OG (why pay 7 mil. a year when you can draft a great one in
    first or second round) or even CB (when you can draft one on day 1).

I think we'll do the smart thing and see what the market is for the guys we'd like to have, then try to sign the younger guys who may be up and comers rather than the bank breakers....at most we may possibly try to sign 1 big name.

It's not just about the money in FA....what's really important is what it does to your salary scale....overpaying a FA can upset the scale, the locker room, and your own guys who may be up for new contracts in the next two years.

You don't have to shop in the bargain basement, but you can't upset what you have established with your team.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Recap:

Smack..........smack...........smack..........free agency...........smack..........smack
  14. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The man has arrived in Indy...
  15. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    you can only waste so much on the rivera, boimans, vanderjagts and hannams of the world before you start to tighten the purse strings.
  16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,965 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    I still think it's funny that people think we will sign someone big. Signing Dielman or Steinbach will shock me more than if we don't sign them.
  17. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't quite the see the fascination with the big money signings anyway. As someone else mentioned, instead of spending big money on a guard, it might make a lot more sense to draft a good young one.

I do believe that Dallas is going to make a few signings, but I expect the Cowboys to be selctive and picky. There's nothing wrong with that either.
  18. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    thats the thing there really isnt a good one in the draft. the OL picks lately have stunk. other then jamaal brown and marcus mcneil lately can u name any good Ol picks?

lately its been the college players think bigger the better. but whats happened is the bigger the lazier and slower they been.
  19. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    The BOys have been really good in the draft the last four years- except in the O line. BP was able to make up for that some with getting Columbo, and resurrecting Gurode at center. But the bottom line is that we have SUCKED at drafting O line. That is why I just do not want to draft anyone on the first day from the O line since we have SUCKED at that. McQ might be a real find; if so that makes up some more. BUT we need a guard and unless Proctor is a whole lot more ready then thought the only really favorable way for US to go is FA.
  20. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    good for Jerruh...although I think they already overpaid somewhat to keep Gurode, but at least he is young, still has an upside and is someone they know fits what they want to do

they dont need to be throwing 7mils a yr+ at average Joe's like Steinbach, Dielman or Leonard Davis

David