1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry Gives Insight on Reasoning Behind Taking Smith @ #9

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Apr 29, 2011.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just listened to Jerry's Day 1 press conference and he shared some insight into what transpired leading up to their first selection.

Jerry didn't name names, but he stated that they had targeted four players at #9. However, he said that two of those targeted players were taken before their pick (I'm guessing Peterson, Miller or Dareus). So there were not four players being considered by the time their clock started ticking at #9 as some previously thought, just two.

That left Tyron Smith and perhaps Castonzo as the two players at the top of their board. Between the two, I think it's obvious to deduce that Smith was rated higher by a wide margin than Castonzo. Dallas obviously didn't want to risk the chance of losing its highest rated player left on its board in Smith by trading down to #16; Jerry said as much himself.

Factoring in all the above developments and risks, the Cowboys felt content taking its highest ranked (left on their board) at #9.

It's always nice to think you could get just a little bit more, but I can appreciate the fact they stuck with their convictions.

Having said that, I get the strong suspicion that Dallas will trade down out of #40.
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,482 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    The whole 1st round was pretty crazy............infact its was one of the craziest in recent memory.

What's more crazy is we didn't do nothing flashy........we stayed at 9:eek: and picked a OT:eek:

Like u said though I expect jerry to make some moves in the 2nd and pick some shockers later in the draft to make up for it;) :cool:
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked we stayed put. With the way the draft was unfolding in front of us, especially with Gabbert still available, I would have bet money we were going to trade down.
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,768 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    You sure it wasn't Smith and Watt? I have trouble believing Castonzo was rated that highly by Dallas considering where he ended up being taken.

Plus, Gosselin had Smith as the 7th-best player and Watt as the 11th.
  5. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

Last year was crazier. Teams from the 20's trading up in the teens, a ton of players picked way ahead of where they were, allegedly, supposed. It was nuts.

This year there were just 2 huge surprises ( Locker and Ponder ) and one reach ( James Carpenter ). I liked Carpented quite a bit, but not enough to spend a 1st round pick on him. Everybody else selected was supposed to go in the first round, it's just that they went in a bit of a different order than most people thought ( except Goose ). I think it started a couple of weeks before the draft when Bowers and Fairley started dropping in everyone's boards. That created a bit of a chaos, but not as bad as last year.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Like I was saying, I'm assuming one of the two remaining players was Castonzo. You're correct, it may very well been J.J. Watt too go along with Tyron Smith.

I guess my thinking was considering if Dallas was really looking to address its OT need in the 1st round. Castonzo and Smith were rumoured to be their two favorites.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,870 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    If Aaron Williams or Andy Dalton is at #40, I don't think we'll trade.
  8. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Last year was crazier, but the Atlanta and New Orleans trade might be mitigating circumstances.

The best WR of the draft didn't drop out of the top 10 and become the second WR taken, a 3rd round project QB didn't end up at pick #25, but there were some shenanigans yesterday for sure.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,870 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    Atlanta got absolutely fleeced on that trade!
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,311 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    exactly what i was thinking...We only had Smith and watt left so we stayed put and drafted the beast.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Atlanta got raped as bad as we raped Minnesotta.
  12. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,311 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    minny should of just included their second round pick they could of had gabbert instead of reaching for ponder...lol....but im glad we didnt drop down I had a feeling smith might not of made it to 12.
  13. Randy White

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

Absolutely.. There's always someone in every draft who pulls an unexpected stunt, but the past few years we've seen some whoppers.

and I like it.
  14. Randy White

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    They would have but they didn't have a 3rd round pick this year and didn't want to end up with just 1 pick in the first three rounds. Spillman is not exactly the brightest bulb around ( just ask any Dullfan ), even though I do like Ponder.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,236 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
    we should
    we need neither when we have romo and plan to sign huff
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I disagree with that. They got one of the premiere playmakers in the draft and a badly missing last piece, and in the end that 1st rounder is going to be very low.

If anything, I don't know what the Browns are doing. They move all the way back from Top 6 pick to low 20s, and then move up to take a nosetackle ... which makes sense once you look past the fact that they don't play in a 3-4 anymore, and their nosetackle from last year was probably the best player on their DL. They have zero outside pass rushers.

I thought the Chiefs taking Baldwin was a real head scratcher. First of all, he's a huge diva, and totally out of line with a typical Scott Pioli pick (go ahead and start the countdown to a Haley/Baldwin blowup), and he's kind of just a big stiff who has no lateral movement or quickness in and out of his breaks (think Limas Sweed). I thought Baldwin was early 2nd round, at best
  17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    I hope not. There are 3-4 DBs and a safety you can grab there. Take them and move along. Top half of the second round still has strong players.
  18. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And Green Bay didn't "need" Aaron Rogers when they still had Brett Farve but they spent a 1st round pick on him and let him sit 3 years because he was to good of a value. If we have Andy Dalton as a mid first round QB, they there comes a time when you just have to take BPA.

And how does planning on signing Huff (who we we are not guaranteed to get even if we want him) keep us from drafting Williams. Even if we sign Huff, we still don't have a FS currently signed for next year. We supposedly would like to sign Sensy to a contact extension, but that is not a sure thing to happen. Besides could you not move Huff to SS even if you do sign him, and let Williams play FS. Or maybe Dallas thinks Williams could play CB as well....
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No, Atlanta got rapped. No ifs ands or buts about it.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,727 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    Ponder is better than Gabbert, Gabbert is the most overrated QB prospect since Matt Leiniart, bunt at least Matt was productive.