1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry improving as a GM?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    In the offseason, Jerry did address our glaring need at cornerback extremely well. In the past three years we've also done pretty well in the draft. It's been some time since Jones' absurd trade for Joey Galloway and his drafting of Quincy Carter too high.

He seems to be allowing Garrett a lot of latitude in drafting at least. We'll see soon how well Jones addresses our obvious O- and D-line problems. If he does, maybe he's become a pretty good GM. Maybe there's hope. If he does another Galloway-type trade or drafts superstars and no lineman, I'll just hang my head and know, "Here we go again."
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,109 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Well, he has invested a ton into the secondary with Carr, Claiborne and contract extensions for Scandrick and Sensabaugh.

Unfortunately, the pass defense ranking actually fell this year.

The positive is the secondary <should> be better next year as Claiborne continues to get better.
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,270 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    Does the name "Roy Williams" mean anything to you?
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Jerry had little to do with the Secondary improvement.
  5. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,473 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    I will hold out on judging Jerry improving as GM. If Garrett is still calling the shots on offense next year he will get a big fat F.
  6. perrykemp

6,109 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    One slightly unscientific method of evaluating Jerry is by the number of Pro-Bowlers he has drafted in the 1st and 2nd round -- the picks where you absolutely have to have a high success rate.

By Pro-Bowlers I am going to define it as players initially selected to the Pro-Bowl -- not guys who made it in as injury replacements (example Mike Jenkins for Antoine Winfield in 2009).

I am going to cheat a bit and start the analysis in 2006 which gives us 7 years of data and about 50 seasons of total players but the collection of Cowboys 1st and 2nd round draft picks:

0 Probowls - Bobby Carpenter
    0 Probowls - Anthony Fasono

0 Probowls - Anthony Spencer

0 Probowls - Felix Jones
    0 Probowls - Mike Jenkins (did make it as a injury replacement once)
    0 Probowls - Marty Bennett

NA

0 Probowls - Dez Bryant
    0 Probowls - Sean Lee

0 Probowls - Tyron Smith
    0 Probowls - Sean Lee

0 Probowls - Morris Claiborne

---------------------------------
    Grand Total - 0 Probowls for the 11 players selected in the 1st and 2nd rounds from 2006 to today.
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,430 Messages
    2,286 Likes Received
    I don't believe Jerry can be judged merely on a trade that cost the team a lot of picks.

Frankly I saw the Galloway trade differently than most. Up until that time Jerry had been trying to reassemble the Jimmy built team that featured Alvin Harper across from Irvin. He had traded/hired acquired several players over a couple of years that were lousy. So much so Troy wouldn't throw the ball to them.

Getting Rocket was a brilliant stroke for Jerry. The problem was Irvin went down. That offense was leading the league when Michael fell in Philly that year. Keep in mind that was the year of The Greatest Show on Turf.

What you saw is Jerry recognizing that he had assembled what could have been a potent tandem in Irvin and Rocket, but then Irvin's career ended.

Jerry went out and manned-up and got himself a stud receiver. Galloway wasn't Irvin, but then who was. But he was pretty competent at times.

The problem was two-fold for Jerry.

1. Galloway went down to injury - not Jerry's fault.

2. Aikman was a shell of his former self - Jerry's assessment was wrong.

If - which is always a big word - Aikman had been the Troy of old, and Galloway stayed healthy, that offense might have worked.

So the trade didn't make me believe Jerry had lost his freakin' mind.

Now the Roy Williams trade was a lot more recent and does have all the components that most fans find stupid about the blockbuster Jerry trades.

And if we are splitting hairs, Jerry did at the very least rubberstamp the Mo Clai trade, which could fall under your premise of Jerry giving too much away.

Regardless of the voices that tend to want to remove Jerry culpability as the GM.

So in fairness, Jerry is still giving away lots of picks via trades.

I guess that means you will be hanging your head.
  8. DOUBLE WING

3,270 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    Don't buy that. He was harping on revamping the secondary last January. Talked all summer about how he wanted to focus on the secondary after getting shredded by the Eagles/Giants WR's.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Please break down exactly what he did. What were his efforts towards this?

I have a video I may post that will blow that out of the water.
  10. TwoDeep3

6,430 Messages
    2,286 Likes Received
    If you're going to introduce logic and history Double Wing, then I'm afraid you haven't fully understood the concept of how this works :C)
  11. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Not necessarily. He didn't give up two first round picks for Mo, just a 2nd for upgrading our 1st to a higher 1st. I found that acceptable to get the best corner available in the draft.
  12. DOUBLE WING

3,270 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    By all means, post the video.

I wasn't with Jerry every day to break down exactly how it transpired. What I know is Jerry said in January 2012 that he would make changes in the secondary. Then he wrote a check for Brandon Carr and authorized a trade to move up for Claiborne. Then he gushed to anyone who would listen this summer about how they wanted to focus on beefing up the secondary.
  13. perrykemp

6,109 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I think his fingerprints are all over building the secondary that had a worse year in 2012 than 2011 as measured by opposing QB rating.

He absolutely approved the Carr signing -- at least you'd hope he would have at $50m.

He absolutely approved the Cowboys trading up for Mo.

He certainly signed off on the Sensabaugh contract extension late last season.

He certainly signed off on the Scandrick contract extension.

I don't specifically fault Jerry for the play of those players, however.
  14. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

711 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Well their rank may have fallen but it's pretty clear to anyone who watched the games that they were a significantly better group this year
  15. DOUBLE WING

3,270 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    Jerry is owner, president and GM. There shouldn't even be any debate about whether these were his calls or not.

Don't forget the Barry Church extension.
  16. perrykemp

6,109 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I'd agree with you, however, then we'd both have to agree that interceptions are meaningless.

The lack of interceptions is what caused the opposing QB rating to be so bad.
  17. TwoDeep3

6,430 Messages
    2,286 Likes Received
    I understand your point. But still he gave a lot away for Mo. Which seemed to be your criteria for the option that he is not getting better.

No biggie really. But interesting proposition.
  18. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,723 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    I want to answer this.

He payed for all of this. I have no idea who's in charge? However, I am seeing change.
  19. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

711 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    This evaluation is a little unfair because Dez, Sean Lee, Tyron, and Claiborne are very likely pro bowlers in the future, not to mention Bruce carter and Demarco
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    What about:

Miles Austin
    Doug Free
    Jay Ratliff
    Dan Connor
    Gerald Sensabaugh

Have you seen how much these guys make?