1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry improving as a GM?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

531 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Thats true I guess, but as mentioned in another thread here the amount of Defensive PI and Defensive holding calls dropped this year as well. Plus, Church getting hurt didn't help either, possibly would have gotten more interceptions with him
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,426 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    There is nothing unfair about it. It is a factual analysis of the the number of Pro-Bowls all the 1st and 2nd round draft picks drafted since 2006 the Cowboys have made that have been selected to play in (injury replacements excluded) in the Pro Bowl.

The fact of the matter is the Cowboys haven't drafted a single 1st or 2nd round pick who has been selected to the Pro-bowl in 7 years.

Maybe some guys make it in future -- who knows.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Ah, as I thought, commentary and checkbook equals he did it. No wonder you guys hate him.
  4. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

531 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    But the keyword here is IMPROVING, and in the past few years we have drafted several pro bowl caliber players, assuming they stay healthy. It's an upward trend that hopefully maintains
  5. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Who cares about that?

They are Cowboys that did what they could. Deal with it.

If they go...all those guys might get another chance somewhere else.

:star:
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,426 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    Hostile -- I am not tracking with you on this.

Jerry is the GM. Doesn't the buck stop with him as it relates to personnel matters?
  7. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Of course he approved them. That's not the point.
  8. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,047 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Uh, yeah, that's exactly what it means.

Jerry called his shot. He said "We're going after secondary", then had Carr flown in and signed him.

What else is missing from that equation? You're grasping at straws here and it's pathetic.

Blow me out of the water with this video, please. I'll wait.
  9. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,637 Messages
    1,561 Likes Received
    Because with a salary cap in place, they are eating up cap space that could be used on better players. If this were an uncapped league, I wouldn't care.
  10. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    That and 5 bucks will buy you an overpriced coffee at Starbucks. Jerry is not a personnel guy and has little to nothing to do with knowing the talent necessary to revamp the secondary. He has a checkbook. That's it.
  11. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I think they might be realizing that too.

This team is gong to change, just like everything in the NFL.

And you know that stupid saying..."wait until next year", it will get better?

We will see. Change is good.

;)
  12. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Why waste it yet?

:D
  13. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,637 Messages
    1,561 Likes Received
    This team hasn't changed. The man with a false face is still in charge.

“Well, I think so . . . because he was there to dismiss,” Jones said. “I’ve always worked for myself and you can’t do that. You basically have to straighten that guy out in the mirror when you work for yourself. But certainly, if I’d had the discretion, I’ve done it with coaches and certainly I would have changed a general manager.”
  14. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,047 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Now is as good a time as any to unearth this bombshell.
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,554 Messages
    1,548 Likes Received
    Of course he did.

Sure he probably doesnt know any of their strengths and weaknesses, he pays people to provide him with that info. Just like every other owner in sports does.

But to say Jerry didnt have anything to do with the improvement of the secondary is ridiculous.

He used the information given to him by the people he pays to do that and with coaches and scouts they collectively brought said players in.
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,862 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Just so happens that I have a 16 MM film of the Kennedy assassination from the over pass that shows the second gunman and the license plate of his car as he drives away.

But I am waiting for an optimum time to show it.
  17. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Exactly! That's the problem. Your GM should know that. That's the main reason this has been a .500 ball club with 1 playoff win in, what now, 16 seasons?
  18. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Your incorrect speculation and 5 bucks will buy you an overpriced coffee at Starbucks. Jerry is the General Manager. He has final authority on all roster decisions. You can try and paint him as someone who just passively signs checks at others command, but that isn't at all true and no one with their thinking caps on would believe that at all.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,420 Messages
    2,122 Likes Received
    Well, Roy Williams wasn't that long ago.

And failing to cash in on Bennett wasn't that long ago.

And while the salary cap is entirely malleable, the fact that Dallas MUST restructure in order to operate on a yearly basis is a less than desirable standard for operating, IMO.
  20. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,630 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    no he's regressing as a GM and as an owner.

he's progressing with his alcohol consumption though.