1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry improving as a GM?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

955 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    as hilarious i find this agrument between you two the real issue is just each's intrepration of what being "involved" is and thats why neither of you can agree with each other. but hey i will continue reading because its nice to read intelligent post with examples from each side. on a lighter note i just got on my lunch break and guess what? i'm eating tacos! :)
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Okay, I really do think we have progress here. You have no idea how happy that makes me to say that.

Baltimore has a GM, Ozzie Newsome. As they go through the same scenario I just posted of a HC, GM, and Head Scout on our team, the GM then turns around to the Owner(s) and gets their okay.

Final say.

It is still the scouts and coaches who build the team. You cannot tell me you honestly believe Ozzie Newsome, whom I consider the best GM in the NFL, doesn't get his owner's okay.

That's my problem with the fairy tale you guys have dreamed up. It defies logic to think successful billionaires are willing pawns to GMs.
  3. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    I have other evidence though. I've asked. I literally have enver been guessing about this, and yes I know what I just posted will insult someone who hates my opinions. It should motivate them to ask for themselves, but it never does.

By the way, Jerry is more involved than most owners. I think we can agree with that.

Now, if you can simply give credit where it is due, we've reached an accord.
  4. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

508 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Fool me once. Fool me twice.
    A leopard and his spots
    Shall I go on...?
  5. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Thank you. I gained a ton of respect for Double Wing today, and I mean a ton. We have disagreed, but unlike so many others he keeps it about a discussion. Mad respect for him now.
  6. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,538 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    You mean like Murchison and Bright did with Schramm?
  7. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Sure. Bye. Write if you get work.

Maybe some employer is looking for someone to spout incomplete cliches when no one knows what the hell they have to do with the price of tea.
  8. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    You are sadly mistaken if you think they were not involved with their teams. Who gave Tom Landry the 10 year extension in 1965? Tex Schramm?

Who ordered Tex to fire Myers and hire Paul Hackett, and was doing the same to Ernie Stautner and ordering Landry switch the 3-4 before he sold the team to Jones?

~shower~
  9. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,538 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I feel like my IQ just dropped 10 points.
  10. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    ~snort~

Can't afford that.
  11. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say "pawns", but yes, in most cases I believe that to be true. The whole reason for the President/GM job is because the owner delegates that personnel responsibility to someone they trust to do it. Because most owners have no football background and know they aren't fit to make those decisions. In fact, I think most General Managers have it written in their contract that they get "final say" on personnel issues. That's why every personnel guy in the league is dying to be a GM. They want that power. The same power a guy like Scott Pioli wanted when he left New England.

And in your scenario, Jerry Jones is Ozzie Newsome and Steve Bisciotti. So he doesn't need to take it to anyone else. He gets the same information Ozzie gets and then he makes that ultimate decision.
  12. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,538 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Oh I can... trust me. But if I believe all your tales I'll go into the negative.
  13. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

812 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    But isn't the general consensus that the Pro Bowl is a joke?
  14. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Right!!!! Final say.

But where you miss a little, is Tom Ciskowski is also part Ozzie Newsome. Meaning the analysis of personnel.
  15. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Never trust a cockroach.

~shower~
  16. DOUBLE WING

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    So just to be clear, in what I'm describing as Jerry's duties, he gets full credit for vetoing the Shawn Merriman discussion and going with DeMarcus Ware. That's an example of exactly what I'm talking about. His staff brings him options, maybe they even make a suggestion, but he has the ultimate decision based on their research/his own research/his gut/roll of the dice/whatever.

But if we're giving him props for that, I'm sure as hell hammering him on the myriad of dumb decisions he's made too.
  17. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    He never has from me.

I gave that credit to Jeff Ireland.
  18. DOUBLE WING

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I don't think either of us can really say how much or how little Ozzie is involved in actual "breaking down the game tape" player analysis compared to Jerry. And I certainly would hesitate to say Ciskowski is any more involved than the equivalent people to him in every other organization in the NFL. The Ravens have 22 people in their front office/personnel staff, so it isn't just Ozzie in there pouring over hours of tape every day. But he is intimately involved in the process of what the team is looking for and what direction they're going to go based on his staff's research, just like I believe Jerry is.
  19. DOUBLE WING

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    But again, that goes back to my point. Parcells says we want Merriman, Ireland says we want Ware.

Ultimately it's up to Jerry. He's the "tiebreaker". These guys can all suggest whatever they want. And while Ireland gets props for pushing for Ware, it's ultimately Jerry that gets the credit for a.) having a guy in that position smart enough to vouch for Ware's talent and b.) sticking with that guy's suggestion.
  20. Hostile

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    You are right. I can't. I give him a lot of credit because I respect him so much. It is entirely possible that credit belongs to Eric DeCosta who is very highly respected around the NFL.