1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry improving as a GM?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,046 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    It has recently been recommended to me. Does it talk about Staubach? He and Hodie's dad have a tie to Navy football together. I have always wondered. I want more back story there. Halberstam is one of the best sports writers alive today.

Hoodie has a tremendous respect for what Landry did in winning so many opening games and he travels to fish with Jimmy every off season. I consider him the best HC in the NFL right now.
  2. Hostile

118,046 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Brad Sham, Mike Fisher, and I think Bill Jones recently discussed the cap sanctions we faced this year and how it meant we had to do some personnel things as a compromise. They wanted to fix the DBs in the worst way after the deep balls last year. I am convinced OL and DL get huge attention this year. We still are up against the sanction and the cap.

That's the reality of the NFL. The injuries killed us this year. Otherwise we might not be swilling at all.
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,483 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    He's undoubtedly a better GM than he was during the Campo years, but in my opinion, the question of "improvement" is secondary to this question: Has Jerry shown the ability to build a consistent playoff contender in the modern NFL?

The answer, thus far, is no. These 8-8 seasons aren't merely a down period. They're indicative of where the franchise has been for a decade or so.

In my estimation, no matter how the organization is structured, Jerry is ultimately the one who hires the decision-makers and determines the structure. He bears the responsibility for its ultimate success or failure. He would tell you as much.
  4. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    My one gripe about that book is read too much like a timeline bio of Belichick's life "first he did this..then this..then this, etc.". I wish it had gone a little more into general insight/philosophies Belichick has on coaching.
  5. Hostile

118,046 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I know one thing about him and his coaching philosophies that is unique. He still insists on steno pads and pencils for drawing up plays and game plans.
  6. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,917 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I'm shocked that Belichick is late on the iPad trend! Actually, he probably doesn't even know what an iPad is.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,483 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    I venture the steno pads and pencils are part of his particular mental process.
  8. Hostile

118,046 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I learned that from watching an interview with Josh McDaniel when he was hired as Broncos HC. I thought it was really old school and I respected it.
  9. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,570 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    There's not much about Staubach in it. It really is a chronicle of Belichick's life, how his family came to America (he's of Croatian descent), and how military tactics helped shape his father's approach to scouting opponents tendencies in football. It shows how Belichick idolized his father, and from a young age, showed the desire to learn from his father.

It also showed how Belichick was drawn to people who worked from the ground up to succeed, and were not necessarily stars or major contributors in football, as he began as literally a gofer with the Baltimore Colts under Ted Marchibroda. This strongly influenced hires in Cleveland and New England that he made, such as Pioli, Mangini and Matt Patricia. It also showed how he and Adams routinely kicked around football theory as kids, and kept a bond that has lasted a lifetime. Adams has served as much as an advance scout for Belichick as much as his work on "Spygate". Art Modell absolutely hated Ernie Adams, and could not understand why he was around the team.

There is likely no other coach currently in the NFL that has the appreciation and breadth of knowledge about the history of football than Bill Belichick. It's well worth the time to read it.
  10. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,570 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    It was more of how he arrived to where he is now, and his influences. I really enjoyed it.
  11. Hostile

118,046 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Thanks man.