1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones: “Our cap is requiring us to do the things that are good for our future”

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,187 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones held onto veteran players and pushed money into the future these past three years on the assumption the Cowboys would make the playoffs.

The departures of DeMarcus Ware, Miles Austin and Jason Hatcher this off-season signal a different reality. Does that mean Jones acknowledges he made a mistake by loading up during this playoff drought?

“It’s not a mistake,’’ Jones said Tuesday from the NFL meetings. “We just went 8-8.

“I loaded up to compete for the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl. I would do it again. The point is there is a time to load up. That was our time.’’

What time is now?

“We’re loading up to the extent we can,’’ Jones said. “We’re also doing a good job for our future, the future being the next two, three, four years out.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...the-things-that-are-good-for-our-future.html/
  2. Bcrav4

Bcrav4 Member

53 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    It's good to see that the organization can change course, and admit when they do.
    Fletch likes this.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    so in other words he reserves the right to be stupid again.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,922 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    That was loading up?
    TheXFactor, calico, Alexander and 8 others like this.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,185 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received

is it also "good to know" that said organization will not change a failing course unless forced to do so by events beyond its control?
  6. Hoofbite

31,922 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    Jerry's idea of "loading up" is restructuring for 4-5 years so he doesn't have to cut anyone and can sign a player or two.

Denver loads up by signing Talib, Ware, and Ward is the first week of free agency.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Pretty sad that we 'loaded up' under the tutelage of a trainee head coach, and now that time is gone and we have neither the players nor the wins to show for it
  8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,139 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones - "I'm doing things differently now, but that doesn't mean what I was doing then was wrong."

Is that about right?
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,278 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    I am done bashing Jones for the moment...he is making changes to what the organization has always done, and that is a start...now, he needs to sustain this slight momentum...

(I reserve the right to bash him at a moment's notice once he gets stupid again)
  10. visionary

7,185 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
    i am pretty sure jerry was "loaded" when he made these comments
  11. visionary

7,185 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received

these are stupid comments, when events are forcing him to make changes he acknowledges are "better" for the organization
    TheXFactor and Aurican like this.
  12. visionary

7,185 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,921 Messages
    5,562 Likes Received
    Somebody needs to inform Jerry that we can do what we want with our salary cap.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,921 Messages
    5,562 Likes Received
    He's stupid every year he remains the GM and his son the Director of Personnel.
    links18 and CopenhagenCowboy like this.
  15. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,788 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I just hope the thoughts is his head are better then the ones he let's out.
    Wood likes this.
  16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    What scares me about the above statements is it is the typical built in excuse for Coach In Training Process to get 3-4 more years of practice with a younger team. It's like some cosmic, never ending circular reasoning only figured out by the Jones Family.
  17. visionary

7,185 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received

stephen jones laughs with you, at jerry
    Risen Star likes this.
  18. Hoofbite

31,922 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    This is true.
  19. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    “When I look back over the last three years, that was the time to make the investment. And we did.’’

Let's hope that puts an end to the 'we have been rebuilding for 3 years under Garretts' oversight' contention.

It was pretty obvious there was no Jason master plan to rebuild on the fly.
    Wolfpack, visionary and Chocolate Lab like this.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,590 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    We're finally flipping the cap around -- rather than have players age and be due more money or have bigger cap numbers as they age, we're in position to flip it around; larger cap hits up front, less on the back end.