1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones: “Our cap is requiring us to do the things that are good for our future”

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    With the flexibility, hopefully we'll see less need to restructure in the future.
  2. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Are you serious dude? Stretching a little bit there aren't you.[/quote]

Just the facts.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I hope so. I'm actually somewhat optimistic about some of the moves they've made this offseason.

Moving on from Ware was, unfortunately, something that had to be done to get cap healthy and to be able to keep Dez and Tyron long term. I'm really glad they've resisted the urge to restructure guys like Carr and Witten and I hope they continue to do so..

Mincey/McClain are really WGAS signings to me. They won't push the team into the playoffs. They are depth.

Weeden - low risk signing. Worst case, he is a camp body that give you decent reps (I think they had problems with this with some of the QBs in camp in the last few years) and you cut with no impact. Best case, he is a cheap backup that pushes Orton and his salary off the roster.

I still don't think they are a contender this year, but they seem to be doing some smarter things.
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Jimmy made the playoffs in year 3 and won the SB in year 4

Your boy can't even break 500 so spare us the statue building propaganda

Even Jerry doesn't think we are playoff contenders with his "that was our time" remark

Just the facts
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Good recap.
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Jerry was the author of this cap, so he bears responsibility...

I'm not saying a cap isn't good, but he kicked himself in the nuts at the time introduced. We had the most dominant, smash-mouthed team in history, but it wasn't enough... MOAR...

You can't have your cake and eat it too... GIVE US PLAYOFF WINS...

Oh... and retire...
  7. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Jimmy was a good coach, but he was a product of good timing and the Hershel Walker trade...

Let's keep that in perspective...
  8. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Hey! What do you want bashers to do? Dress in drag and do the hula? :mad:

apologies to The Lion King
  9. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    The fact is Garrett is 29-27 as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. That is over .500
  10. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,541 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    Disingenuous. Johnson started with a much barer cupboard (no QB, DE, etc.) 3 win team in complete rebuild. Garrett took over a team with core vets at key positions 1 year removed from a playoff win

Also Garrett is 8-8 in 3 full season. He is over 500 in that interim season. 5-3 because they beat the Eagles in the final week who rested everyone because they made the playoffs. Stephen Maghee squeaking by a team that doesn't care in the final week is not something Id want to highlight on a resume
    Beast_from_East likes this.
  11. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Too bad they decide playoff berths by season and not cumulative.....................when your boy can break 500 IN A SEASON...........get back to me.
  12. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    What good timing?

He took over a team that had the number one overall pick, not a team that won a playoff game the year before like our current head coach.

Jimmy also is the one that came up with the idea of trading Walker, so he went out and made his own luck instead of talking about "its a process" year after year after year to explain losing.

So yea, lets keep in perspective what Jimmy did to earn his way and make his mark in the league and what Mr. 500 has done entering year 4 of his tenure.......which is basically nothing.
  13. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Keep changing the terms until you win.....and he's your coach as well
  14. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    The only thing changing is the excuses for Opie, however, sitting at home on the couch has stayed the same year after year after year.

Likewise, the only thing I have won are multiple sig bets against the homers that tell me Garrett will win the division every year. At least I have that to celebrate as I am watching the playoffs from my couch every January.
  15. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    And that's my point. He will just revert back to his old ways of throwing dumb money at old players and worthless players.

Unless he has finally woken up. Time will tell.
  16. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Exactly. Jerry has not learned his lesson. It's what he dug himself into. You really think he wanted to let Ware go. Of course not. But they passed it off as being smarter when in reality, he just could not afford him.

And yep. I was one who harped on this analogy. And it's very true.
  17. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Something to be real proud of, you'd rather be right and watch the Cowboys lose...I bet you are a 'Don't Pass' guy at the craps table
  18. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    I don't like to watch the Cowboys lose, but I don't live on fantasy island either.

If the coach sucks and blows 2 or 3 games all by himself every year, I am not going to pretend we are going to being winning division titles....................that's not how I roll.
  19. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Keep telling yourself that.....seems to work out for you.....I mean you have several signature pelts on your wall
  20. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,060 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    “It’s not a mistake. We just went 8-8. I loaded up to compete for the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl. I would do it again. The point is there is a time to load up. That was our time.’’

Translation: "I royally screwed up and have egg on my face, but let me save face, will ya?"