1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones credits Garrett, Ryan for halftime adjustments that 'worked like a charm'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    We were only down 13 points at half time. If they adjustments "Worked like a charm" we wouldn't have gone to overtime.
  2. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,353 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Just knowing how many times there has been miscommunication between QB and receiver has me wondering if this is some sort of systemic problem, rather than just having the dumbest receivers in the league?

It sounds like both QB and receiver have to be on the same page -- if they see things differently, they run something other than what the QB is expecting, often leading to horrifying (i.e. pick sixes or momentum killing interceptions) results. How subjective are these reads? Because if there is a lot of room for interpretation, it makes perfect sense that these reads wouldn't always align. Almost like there is TOO much flexibility in what the receivers are allowed to do. And quite frankly, if they're reading what the guy across from them is doing, along with trying to see what the safeties are doing -- just seems like a lot to worry about when you're trying to run crisp routes and get open.

I just see way too much second guessing out there and it's preventing our players from playing fast.
  3. cowboys2233

4,353 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Dude, coming back from 13 points downs after the utter futility of the offense in the first half was akin to climbing Mt. Everest.

I still can't believe we won that game. Just a tremendous comeback against a very spirited Browns team -- these are season saving types of games.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Talent and organization trumps "spirit" every time. This was a poor team we played and a struggling rookie QB.

So, dude, don't give me that this was some kind of Lombardi like job that Ryan and Garrett pulled off. Now if it have been a top team and we did this, then yes, I would give more credit but obviously it wasn't.
  5. cowboys2233

4,353 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    What if Dez's finger had been an inch shorter and we wound up beating the defending SB champs after being down 23-0? Would that have been Lombardi like?
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This right here.... If jerry is making statements about how this team adjusted at half-time, you can be damn sure everybody was laughing just at hpw pathetic a job Jason was actually doing prior and how he doesn't shorten the routes. Hip-hip hooray that Jason did what any coach with a half-a-brain, let alone one being paid five million a year, would have done.

I didn't watch the game until the end, but I heard we were gifted a few PI calls as well.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,881 Messages
    7,620 Likes Received
    Being able to adjust on the fly, mentally, is every bit as much of a skill as doing it physically. Just seeing how Romo connected with Robinson--with just one abbreviated offseason--convinced me that the issue probably isn't with the QB or the system, necessarily. Harris, too, seems to get it. And Witten, and Miles.

You can also tell when Romo stopped forcing to Dez and KO. The TO problem cleared up pretty dramatically. I think, if we're going to fault anything here, it's in not getting the right players to be successful here. KO's been on this roster, what, 4 years now? Ridiculous. He can't cut it, and, if we were betting on someone else stepping up, we crapped out so far. We should have brought in some insurance at the beginning of the season.
  8. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

12,210 Messages
    857 Likes Received
    I agree with every thing except the bold part. I think they just aren't giving Harris or Beasley a chance for what ever reason. I really can't see how either could be any worse. Harris really seems to know what's going on.
  9. cowboys2233

4,353 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Yeah, you're probably right (although Miles also seems to disappear a lot more than he should, given his talent). But it seems like the team should be able to come up with something, recognizing the stupidity of KO and DB. Instead of having them analyze the defense (which they are clearly incapable of doing), give them set routes to run, no matter what the defensive alignment is. That way, they no longer have to worry about interpreting things correctly -- they run what they're supposed to run and then the onus is put on Romo's shoulders. He knows what set route they have, if he sees that the defense will give that up, great, keep the play as is. If not, maybe come up with an audible that changes the pattern but one that is still set in stone, not allowing the receiver to change based on what he thinks he sees.

The point is, Dez is physically capable of beating ANY one on one coverage and Ogletree is quick enough to get open the majority of the time. Only their minds are holding them back. So take their minds out of the equation.
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    You missed his point. Garrett's teams never seem ready to play, not sure why that is.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,881 Messages
    7,620 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's exactly why I went with 'so far.' I think Harris is on the verge of solving that problem if he gets the snaps.

He doesn't need to be a world-beater. I'm just talking about consistently making the three-four catches that keep drives going long enough to end in more points.

That curl route by KO that killed the opening drive yesterday just set me over the edge. I don't get how that's still happening after four years, and why he's still getting starting snaps if it does. I'm much more critical of that stuff when it comes to Garrett than I am of the play calling or clock management. Get those plays right, and we're not needing last-second FGs to keep playoff hopes alive.
  12. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I guess y0u come in with a game plan and try to make it work. How long before you give up on it? That is the question. IIRC they didn't have to ball much in the first half so I guess about four drives to figure out they weren't going to be able to run, or take the 7 step drop and wait for routes to open.

The half time adjustment was great. Maybe they could have switched late in the 2nd qtr., but what they did worked.
  13. cowboys2233

4,353 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    That's what started me thinking about this. To my eyes, it seems like Ogletree had it right, there was a safety bearing down -- seems like if he had turn upfield and was where Romo threw that ball, that safety would have absolutely annihilated him. But it sounds like the consensus is that it was Ogletree's fault, so I don't doubt that it was. But what was it that should have told him that he should have turned up field instead of cutting the route off? Was it how his man was playing him? Was it something in the overall defensive alignment? Or did he just screw up in the most basic way, running an out when Romo called a skinny post? If that's the case, then yes, absolutely no excuse at this juncture. But again, if its a matter of reading some defender, I can see how the QB could see it one way and the receiver another, but that's probably not the case.