1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry Jones Delivers on Promise but Overlooks Bigger Issues

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BY PETER MATARAZZO
    (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 13, 2013

As commander in chief of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones is free to run his franchise as he sees fit. After watching his team miss out on back-to-back opportunities to win the NFC East and secure a playoff berth, Jones has begun to implement the change he vowed to deliver.

The question is not whether the changes are complete but rather if other ones are being overlooked. When you analyze the offensive structure of this team, Jones must not overlook the issue of the need for an offensive coordinator.

Jones' initial changes commenced with the dismissals of running backs coach SkipPeete and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Now, according to ESPN's ChrisMortensen, Jones' next target in the coaching shakeup has become John Garrett. There is also the mention of increased pressure for Jason Garrett to finally give up the play-calling duties to focus more on game management.

Two and a half years into the Jason Garrett era of multiple responsibilities has had its peeks and valleys. It's not that things are that much better or worse since this experiment began, but the results are, well, mediocre. And as a franchise the Cowboys continue to post mediocre results.

Jones can force the firing of John Garrett or Wade Wilson or Jerome Henderson but if he thinks that's the kind of change necessary to win consistently in the NFL, then he's fooling himself.

The concept of change needs to start with Jason Garrett if he has any chance at a future in Dallas.

The Cowboys must find a suitable offensive coordinator to help Garrett, unless Bill Callahan's current title actually allows him the opportunity to fill the role on the basis of reality. If Garrett and Jones don't view Callahan as a viable play-caller, then what's the point of having him in the picture?

If a new offensive coordinator comes in, wouldn't Callahan feel slighted? Resentful? Passed over? The bottom line is that this offense still has several issues to deal with and it starts with the inexplicably horrible starts to games.

The Cowboys were consistently faced with the insurmountable task of having to play catch-up and it began to form the identity of the offense. That's not an identity to build upon and it's definitely not the formula for success.

In my estimation, the slow starts fall directly on Garrett and lead to a multitude of questions.

Does Garrett have this team ready to play? Are they motivated? Are they getting his message? Is Garrett preparing enough? Is there too much on his plate? And can he manage a dual role and improve every year?

The Cowboys averaged a shade under eight points per game going into halftime and their 376 points scored qualified them for 15th in the NFL. The Cowboys compiled 5,994 in offensive yards compared to their opponents' total of 5,687. The fact is that this team continues to compile a lot of yardage and not enough points.

What is Jerry missing here?

Garrett needs to be more of a game manager and a CEO on the sidelines rather than focusing his efforts primarily on the offense and then inserting himself into the management process. If Jones wants to talk about change, implement change and deliver real change, then he needs to tackle this problem head on.

Garrett has proved himself as a solid leader in difficult times; he's a tireless worker and a bright football mind. The fact that the Cowboys were close two years in a row tells me that the players are still responding and they might fight until the end, but something continues to hold this team back.

You can make the argument all day regarding the offensive line, the defensive injuries and the winnable games that slipped through the cracks, but the time has come to face facts and tweak the offensive structure of this football team.

The Cowboys are leaving points on the board, the offense is not helping the defense and that is where the bigger issues lie.

Jerry Jones felt the need to make some changes after a disappointing end to the season. Part and parcel to that, I think he needed to pacify a frustrated fanbase, but I also think that he is creating the sense of urgency this franchise needs.

The bigger question here is whether Jones is wielding his power logically or simply making change for change's sake. For starters, it appears that he has at least identified a few problems, but hopefully he doesn't overlook the issue of offensive coordinator in the process.

It will be an interesting and uncomfortable continuance of the offseason for the Dallas Cowboys. A new defensive coordinator has arrived, free agency will begin and the draft is imminent. It's an exciting time of year as well for the franchises which failed to qualify for the playoffs. It's a chance to be optimistic about the future but mindful of the failures of the past.

For the Cowboys, failure, mediocrity and disappointment are simply not options anymore. That's the biggest issue Jerry Jones is faced with fixing.
  2. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,767 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    He means "points on the field'?
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    871 Likes Received
    The game is played on the field, not on the sidelines.

Until you fix the offensive line this team will continue to miss the play-offs.

Jerry doesn't understand that, or else he doesn't care.

You decide.
  4. LongSnapper

LongSnapper Member

741 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    "ummmuh um uhhh the process of this materializing hasn't presented itself yet"
    Jerry Jones
  5. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

1,900 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Excellent article. I completely agree!!!
  6. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

203 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder how many SF fans were saying the same thing when the same roster losing multiple games under Nolan and Singletary ended up making the NFCCG after only one major change.
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

14,629 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    In 2010 the 49ers picked both Iupati and Davis in the first round. Now granted Singletary was the coach but them gelling with the line in my view had more of an effect than coaching. They allow Harbaugh to do what he does not the other way around.
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,592 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Jerry can never win.....

Might as well say he's the cause of Death itself.
  9. xvendettax914

xvendettax914 Active Member

123 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I agree. The seasons 2 weeks over.. And already hes "overlooked" or "hasnt delievered" i dont care one way or another about jerry. I believe he does some things well and others not so much, but to jump to this conclusion and were not even on feb? C'mon.. Talk about an agenda.
  10. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

203 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dallas fans when discussing Garrett: Don't change coaches. The players need at least 5 years to gel and get used to a coach's system.

Dallas fans when SF is pointed out to counter that falsity: Well herpy derp.

I'd say that Garrett is closer to Singletary than Harbaugh in terms of head coaching effectiveness and skill, so allowing him to do what he wants doesn't guarantee better results.

You wouldn't allow an L3 to be lead defender for your murder trial. Likewise, it's probably not a good idea to allow a guy with 2 years positional coaching experience to become the OC and then HC of your professional football team.
  11. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,727 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    BINGO....post of the day....

It is very possible Garrett has giving everything he has...he is seeing what he believes are great practices....but they don't translate on the field on game day....THAT is a lack of experience...not because he ain't trying....

He doesn't have the experience to SEE what RIGHT looks like......When has Garrett had his team look prepared and the team executed like they were properly prepared.....not to many time's have they said Garrett Cowboys were better prepared than the opposing team...or Garrett out coached the other guy...it just the opposite...:(

But look at the coaching change the 49ers made with Jim Haubraugh...same players different HC....and bingo....2 NFC Conference Championships....all with the same players, same bad QB (smith) same bad TE (V.Davis) that Singletary embarrassed on national TV....

Coaching made the difference....and it shows....energy, motivation, a will to go for the kill, a competitive edge and desire to succeed that the team feeds off of....ALA the 1990's Jimmy Johnson days.

Coaching makes a difference
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

14,629 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Nice story.
  13. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

203 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No sir, you are quite wrong.

They went from 6-10 in 2010 to 13-3 with a NFCCG appearance in 2011 with the same players because Iupati and Davis apparently formed some sort of gelatinous matrix together. Couldn't have been the coaching.

Read it right here, so must be true.
  14. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Knowing that Jason Garrett will be back as HC, I would just go with Callahan as OC.

Improve the OL and just let Callahan call the plays. He's an experienced coordinator.

I absolutely don't want JG calling plays though. He can't handle both jobs right now.
  15. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,544 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    coaching clearly matters. anyone that argues otherwise should revisit the playoffs game from this past weekend.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android