1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones hasn't closed door on Josh Brent's return

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Boys122, Jan 24, 2013.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That would be awesome if true. I have very little doubt that Brent will be a man about this and take care of his family. I also think he could turn out to be a very nasty well paid player for the boys if he doesn't go to jail for a long time.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,800 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    I would be in favor of this kind of arrangement. Should have to do community service going from school to school talking about the evils of drunk driving.
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....BUT I got busy at work and couldn't. That is as GOOD of a scenario as could possibly come of this : I absolutely think a certain portion of Brent's check should come out the rest of his career: maybe a flat rate....100 k? 150k? I don't know, that's for the lawyers and both parties to hash out but my gosh it's the right thing to do. Love to see it but I have my doubts. tragedy. Our society likes to imprison people even when alternatives like this make SO much more sense.

...He should STILL have to give a certain number of speeches to high schools about drunk driving and he should get random drug and alcohol testing as well as community service. Stay clean, get your job back, earn that cash and help Brown's family out....it would be ideal IMO:starspin
  4. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...that's for sure. There would be critics who would want him in jail and complain about his "special treatment" because he's an athlete but there were some SERIOUS extenuating circumstances in this accident, that other accidents don't have.:star:
  5. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    395 Likes Received

I think you got it backwards.

It's fair easier to take your route than to take a supportive role.
  6. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,213 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Maybe you don't understand the quote...hard to judge with the quote means I think there are a ton of folks on here who drink and drive from time to time, sometimes even slightly impaired. I've driven home from parties and restaurants plenty of times with a buzz. When really feeling it, I try to wait until I feel more sober, but I'm probably still slightly impaired. Most folks on this board have probably driven when if they'd been stopped by a cop, they may have been convicted for being over the legal limit, even though they felt they were fine.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I"

It is a disaster/tragedy that could have happened to me or just about anyone who drinks even socially. Those who say they haven't driven when they were legally over the limit many times are either non-drinkers, in denial, or liars for the most part....those who drink and have truthfully not driven in a questionable state in the past two years are probably a very small percentage.

If you've ever driven a car with a buzz, even though you felt you were perfectly fine, you were probably over the legal limit and under the influence. The fact that you didn't have an incident for which you reacted too slow due to drinking and didn't kill someone is just a matter of fortune, not a right to condemn. We should all condemn the act, not the person, but to even condemn the act means I need to stop driving home from the restaurant with a buzz after two Margaritas with dinner. I should, but I know I won't. That's just the reality.
  7. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Oh he'll be back for sure...probably even be made a team captain too
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,109 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    I wish he would just go away.

Bad publicity for a team that sure doesn't need it.
  9. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,395 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    JJ shouldn't rule out bringing Brent back. He made a mistake, at least it was an accident. Ray Lewis is going to the HOF and what he was involved in was no accident. He didn't even get fined or suspended by the league if I remember correctly.
  10. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,121 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    If the brown family is on board with probation there is a good chance he will get it. Then it will be up to King Roger to hand out a suspension
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,208 Likes Received
    It was not an accident

He chose to drink and then drive

I do not want to ever see him in a boys uniform again

and as regards those that claim everyone does it

BS.
  12. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,630 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I couldn't agree more.
  13. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,433 Messages
    445 Likes Received
    This.

What are you, a bunch of drunks?
  14. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......BOORS.....:bang2:
  15. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,361 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    What he did was wrong and he should be punished. That's obvious. However, this WAS an accident. He did not mean to kill his friend in a crash. Both he Brown decided to get into that car with Brent driving. Brent was drunk and made a stupid, drunken decision. Brown actually decided to enter the car while sober with an inebriated Brent driving. This was an ACCIDENT that involved bad decisions. Brent should be punished and will, but some of this "It was not an accident" garbage is ridiculous.
  16. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,353 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    Once is an accident, twice is a pattern (that we know of). I would bet that night of the accident was not Brent's first time driving drunk since his last DWI and Brown was probably a passenger at other times as well. Brown knew the situation but decided to go anyways, so some of the fault is his.

I do not condone driving drunk, especially for someone who has been convicted before. Brent deserves everything coming his way. Can he learn from this and teach teenagers what can happen and make some sort of good from this? We shall see, but he should never wear the star again IMO.
  17. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,109 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    Wasn't he arrested in college for a DWI?
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,920 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Math isn't your thing I take it. There was still 1 accident.
  19. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,971 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    We are going to bring him back if possible..?

That's insane.

If this guy comes back and plays after what he has done..this team is going to go completely in a firestorm of fan reaction over placing the game of football over human value.

It isn't worth it. He isn't that good. It would send completely the wrong message to everybody to allow him even show up at VR to pickup his last paycheck.

OMG.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  20. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    We need to move on from him. If we are willing to support him then why not give Honey Badger a shot if he's available in rd 5-6. At least he'll be eligible to play opening day.