1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones on Garrett's coaching ability

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Nov 27, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    As long as the Cowboys continue to underachieve, Jerry Jones will face questions about his head coach.

The Cowboys owner and general manager spent nearly half of his weekly radio interview on Tuesday talking about Jason Garrett and his ability to balance coaching the entire team and being the offensive play-caller.

Jones can certainly be long-winded with his answers, but this sentence best summed up his thoughts on Garrett: "At this particular juncture, Jason doesn't have too much on his plate."

When Garrett became the Cowboys offensive coordinator in 2007, the team finished second in the league in points scored (28.4) and third in yards per game (365.7). While the yards per game climbed to a 399.4 average in 2009, the points have never gotten close to 2007. In Garrett's two years as head coach, the Cowboys have fallen to the middle of the pack when it comes to scoring average, currently sitting 11th in the NFC at 22.0 points per game.

"I think he certainly has the capacity to handle a lot of things," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. "I've heard all of my life that if you really want a job done right, pick the busiest person you can find to go do it. It has just always worked that way. A small percentage of people do 85 percent of the work. Those are the kinds of things that I've heard. The facts are that I know that you can cover too much ground, and you let detail drop through the cracks when you cover a lot of ground. Advantages are also there."

Jones said he believes the hardest working person in an NFL organization is the offensive coordinator

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/1...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=826547&feedID=4680
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    :confused: Once more in English please.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    :laugh1: This guy sounds more deluded by the week.
  4. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,076 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I agree with basically everything he said.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    What successful head coach is currently calling his own offensive plays? Bill Belichick isn't. Tom Coughlin isn't. Jim Harbaugh isn't. John Harbaugh isn't. Mike Smith isn't. Maybe Gary Kubiak, but Houston is really winning more on running game and defense than over the top offensive ingenuity.

On the otherhand, I do see a few offensive play calling head coaches about get fired (Norv, Andy Reid).
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    Andy it up when he continued to make game management mistakes and would get pass happy. Marty M made that team a better rounded team and let Andy not screw up more clock stuff. Sound familiar?
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,514 Messages
    3,817 Likes Received
    My pat answer to that is Coach Landry was his own OC and DC. OTOH I have no problem understanding the frustrations and the desire to find a working solution to the problem of.....LOSING.
  8. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,354 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I don't even know what he said.
  9. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At least he's having to now address questions about JG's competence, when before, it was the last thing on his mind...
  10. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Landry was a coach in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The NFL has changed a lot in 30 years even more-so in 40 or 50. Teams right now are closer in quality than they've ever been. Gone are the days when teams had juggernaut rosters that could've been managed by any of 500 coaches doing whatever. You need every off the field edge you can possibly get. Calling plays and managing a football team is simply too much for a lot of guys to not suffer drop off in attempting to do both. When the playing field is so level, you see the results of that on the field now. To say Jason Garrett is one of the very worst managing coaches in the NFL is not out of bounds. I don't know if it's because he just doesn't know football or because he's too consumed with badly calling plays, but him doing both is not working. It doesn't matter what Tom Landry did 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Jason Garrett in 2012 isn't getting it done trying to wear multiple hats.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yep. Landry coached in a much simpler era in regards to offensive play calling. There wasn't nearly as many sub packages as there are today. No zone blitzing. He also didn't have to worry about things like when to use review challenges.
  12. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    Why does Coach Landry even come into the discussion when people are addressing Garrett's abilities and performance?

It just strikes me as desperate and quite honestly, ignorant.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,099 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    And the counter to it anyway is that Jimmy Johnson didn't call plays in Dallas.

The head coach is supposed to win games and go to the Super Bowl, we don't get style points for having him call the plays as well.

YR
  14. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

933 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    When I code a program, I divide them into modules that do one function well - structured programming.

Successful organizations specialize roles - not ask for a "jack of all trades"

JJ has insisted on being a jack of all trades: Owner/GM/Executive HC

Apparently he is asking his HC - Jason Garrett to also be a jack of all trades and call his plays. We have seen the results.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I believe Jerry has had the same secretary/personal assistant for decades dating back to his oil business. Norm has described her as some sort of superwoman who does everything for him. Seems to be Jerry's MO when it comes to task delegation to find some uber-person who just quietly gets things done behind the scenes and let's Jerry eat the cake.

This is why I feverishly disagree with anyone who suggest the Dallas Cowboys head coach is a powerless or puppet position. It's actually one of the most powerful head coaching destinations in the NFL. No structure organizational hierarchy. There's no general manager. No other strong "football voices" to compete with to implement your ideas. The trouble is you need a Bill Belichick caliber football mind to properly handle the responsibility, and the Bill Belichick's are few and far between. Guys like Mike Holmgren are Superbowl caliber head coaches, but they can't handle the weight of wearing that many hats within the organization. What are the odds that some random flavor of the week coordinator the media has deigned the next "it" guy can?
  16. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The biggest difference is the way the DBs can't play now as opposed to then. Offenses of today are like the run and shoot of the 90s, and we saw how well those held up when DBs could actually play the game. People call today's game an 'evolution' when in reality, it's not.