1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones: 'You don't rebuild with Tony Romo'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by morasp, Mar 26, 2014.

1. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,838 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    The loss of four-time All Pro DeMarcus Ware will make it tough for the Dallas Cowboys to keep pace with the Philadelphia Eagles, but Jerry Jones isn't ready to concede the NFC East under the guise of a rebuilding effort.

"Not at all," Jones told reporters Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting, via The Dallas Morning News. "You don't rebuild with Tony Romo.

"The firepower we have on offense and where we are with our running backs, and our receivers ... you don't rebuild with an offense that's got the capability we've got. We didn't bring (Scott) Linehan in here to rebuild."

Although Jones has great expectations for his offense, he acknowledges that the last-place defense is a question mark after Ware's untenable salary-cap hit forced the organization to "revamp the defensive line."

Jones is counting on a few key additions and the return to health of leading tackler Sean Lee to move Dallas to the "middle of the pack" among NFL defenses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336861/article/jerry-jones-you-dont-rebuild-with-tony-romo
  2. George

George a legend in your own mind

579 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Great. "Middle of the pack". Brutally honest.
  3. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    *facepalm* Proof that being a billionaire does not make one a football expert. Jones, just go play Madden.
    lostar2009 likes this.
  4. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    So what would you have done this offseason?
    Carharris2 and BulletBob like this.
  5. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,381 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    This is why I thought that you let Romo play out his contract, draft your future qb and let him grow with the team. As long as Tony's there JJ's going to be between rebuilding and going for it.

Because this is where games are won and lost? Seems like he's looking at this team from a fantasy football perspective.
    lostar2009 and BigStar like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,767 Messages
    5,049 Likes Received
    Still do not have the catchphrase yet.

No ********** or secret sauce. Do not keep us waiting for too long.
    khiladi, Zordon and AmberBeer like this.
  7. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    Good offense + good special teams + average defense = playoffs.
    EMMITTnROY, BigStar and Carharris2 like this.
  8. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    Our offensive line has gone from weakness to strength now thanks to the moves Jerry's made/signed off on. Just because he didn't mention that group in this particular quote doesn't mean he doesn't know it's important. You don't spend 1st rounders on Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick if you don't think the OL is important.
  9. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Nope just smart offseason moves this year imo......sorry it dissappointed you :)
  10. Alexander

24,767 Messages
    5,049 Likes Received
    If that is the case and they figure the offense is "good" already, then we had better see an almost defense exclusive draft.

No gimmicky tight ends early. No speedy running backs. No backup receivers.
  11. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    Proof that slamming Jerry doesn't mean you know any better. Only a buffoon wouldn't try to win now while he has a franchise QB in his mid-30s.
    theSHOW and Sportsbabe like this.
  12. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,838 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    My thought too. I hope all this talk about the offense is some sort of smokescreen and we are going heavy defense in the draft.
  13. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    "Best player available" is always the best strategy. We'll be better on D just by staying healthy and having another offseason to grasp the system.

That being said, I'll be really annoyed if we don't go D in the 1st round.
    BigStar likes this.
  14. Alexander

24,767 Messages
    5,049 Likes Received
    It also makes sense to hitch your wagon due to the fact he financially tied the knot with the player last offseason and he is paying him like a franchise QB whether he is or not.
    RonSpringsdaman20 likes this.
  15. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,372 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    The team's overestimation of Tony Romo has been and remains its first and biggest mistake.
  16. Alexander

24,767 Messages
    5,049 Likes Received
    An offensive player in the first would not bother me if it was justified. OL is the only place I would be comfortable with it.
    BigStar and stasheroo like this.
  17. Alexander

24,767 Messages
    5,049 Likes Received
    Good QBs are hard to find. So I get why they are hopeful.

I hate that we make him out to be something he is not. As good as he has shown at times, he is not a "franchise" QB in the sense that he is capable of carrying an average to mediocre team very far.

Some aspect of the team has failed him at various times when he has had playoff chances. As true as that is, he is not a Manning or Brady that can carry a team on his back. Just not that kind of QB, no shame in it either.
  18. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    Yeah, I hope we don't start ignoring the OL now that it's finally a strength. Keep investing in the OL and keep it as a strength for years to come.
    BigStar likes this.
  19. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    No QB wins jack with an average/mediocre team around him. Give Romo the help that every Super Bowl-winning QB has had and we'll see what happens.
    Reverend Conehead likes this.
  20. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,814 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    I can't see a single thing wrong with the way Jones and his brass have handled this offseason. No one iota.
    theSHOW likes this.