1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones: 'You don't rebuild with Tony Romo'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by morasp, Mar 26, 2014.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,884 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    Good thing we don't have to worry about that in Dallas.
    DandyDon1722, Nav22 and DoctorChicken like this.
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,462 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    Yeah no doubt about it.

This time last Off-Season, during training camp and into about week 8 both Bernadeau and Free were being toasted and tossed in the trash by most of everyone here.

The Oline has to be addressed especially in a deep OL Draft.
    AmberBeer likes this.
  3. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,700 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    We're not building around Orton. Try to at least pretend you watch the games.
  4. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Romo is a great qb just not in the class of upper echelon of qbs whom I think would've gotten the Cowboys into the playoffs the last 3 years.

Like someone said earlier he can't take a mediocre team to the playoffs, nothing embarrassing in that.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. Western

Western Active Member

118 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    The rebuilding of the defense will be a multi-year project.
    When and, if the defense develops into a playoff-caliber unit, given Romo's age/health issues, he will not be able to compete at a high level.

Sooner or later, it will be time to develop & draft Romo's successor in order to coincide with a developing & strong defensive unit (assuming, of course there is no radical change in the defensive coaching staff & the team drafts/develops effective defensive players--which in recent years has been very suspect).
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  6. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,614 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    I agree the team is not in total rebuilding mode but the defense sure is and it should be after last year's performance. The offense appears set, only needing some better backup OL, another outside WR, and maybe a blocking TE. The defense needs to be totally rebuilt around Melton and Lee. Hopefully Mo and a few others put their name on that short list this year.
  7. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,808 Messages
    1,867 Likes Received
    Sounds like a plan. They have many needs.
  8. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,622 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Half of the problem when trying to replace Aikman was going cheap or half aggro towards the position. We didn't have a first rounder so we reached for QC in the second and stuck with him without drafting other altnernatives to continue the competition. Instead JJ brought in Hutch, Henson, Teste, etc. He never invested heavily in the position (cap) and really lucked out that Sean Payton was able to get Romo to sign on as an UDFA due to the Eastern Illinois connection. Rookie QBs are NFL ready more than any time in history so this bodes well for this team. We will have to invest in the position this time or expect the same dire results (5-11, 5-11, 5-11). When it is time, throw what you have to in order to get your QB but consistently bring in competition, etc. Don't throw food stamps @ the position and hope to get by.
  9. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,937 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    The problem is he has been carrying a sub par team. it is not like he was caring a 8-8 team and keeping them 8-8 he is the reason this team has not finished 6-10 or worse the last 3 years.

Whether you like him or not he has pulled victory from the jaws of defeat more than a few times. Though he has delivered victories to the jaws of defeat couple of times too. Romo has been what he has been. A QB that tries to do too much because if he didn't 4-12 would be the mark we woudl be trying to get past.
    DandyDon1722 and Nav22 like this.
  10. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Wait wait wait a min.......so people still think Romo is a bad QB? I thought everyone matured passed this, but I guess that was just wishful thinking
    DandyDon1722, Nav22 and George like this.
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Not sure what he's supposed to say, they are going to go from historically bad one year to the '85 Bears the next?

Middle of the pack defense makes this team 10-6 last year if not 11-5.
    OhSnap likes this.
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I'm not sure but I think they just got criticized for signing big contracts and criticized for not giving a big contract to Hatcher and got criticized for unloading a big contract. I guess thats fair when your 8-8 but it sure sounds weird.
    Oh_Canada likes this.
  13. George

George a legend in your own mind

576 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    My thoughts are that we have gotten so dependent on Romo performing well because we never seem to have the depth.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,128 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    Going from franchise worst to middle of the pack would be a big accomplishment in one off season.
  15. George

George a legend in your own mind

576 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Sorry, but I believe we can do a lot better than the middle in one year for every aspect of the team. What's happened to Cowboy greatness? Enough 8-8.
  16. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,252 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Thanks, jer!!

Luv,
    Tony
  17. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Benched

968 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    You do when he's 34 years old, has had two back surgeries and the team has absolutely no defense.
    visionary likes this.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    You don't rebuild.

You just stop loading up, I guess.
  19. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,848 Messages
    693 Likes Received
  20. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    This is really weird to say......but he's 100% correct. Personally I wouldn't have given out the Romo contract when Jerry did, but that deed is done. Once you have a 30+ year old $100M QB on your roster rebuilding goes out the window.