1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry thinks kneel downs should be banned

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by rkell87, Sep 19, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/18/jerry-jones-thinks-kneel-downs-should-be-banned/

“I don’t like it,” Jones said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “Lamar Hunt tried several times to introduce a rule to have it voted on that you couldn’t kneel down, you had to run a play. Unless you were trying to advance the ball, then you got a penalty and the time didn’t run off the clock. It’s not a good play. I’ve always thought that that’s a wasted play for our fans”
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,061 Messages
    1,116 Likes Received
    I agree. I hate it. I think it would bring more excitement to the game knowing that instead of just kneeling down for 2 minutes you had to run the football 3 different times.
  3. Cowboysfan1975

Cowboysfan1975 Member

100 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I have to agree with him. It would make for a lot of excitement in the final seconds of some games. I have always thought it was a cowardly way to finish a game.
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kneeling down is a safe way to ensure victory. I have zero issue with it.
  5. gdogg24

gdogg24 Active Member

556 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Why not just bypass the kneel down and just end the game?
  6. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I have zero issue with doing it cause if allowed, your right, it is a safe way to ensure victory.

But thats not the issue that is being talked about though, its whether it should be allowed to be done at all. In that context, I agree with Jerry, its always been a very sad and stupid way to end an otherwise great game.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    The Bucs had reason to do it as there was a remote chance they could have gotten the ball back and possibly scored a TD and won the game.

But I see nothing wrong with a kneel down and for a league that is supposed to be player safety conscious, I can't see them enforcing a new rule. Furthermore, what's the difference between a kneel down and the QB handing off to the RB and having him fall to the ground?

YR
  8. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I have no problem with a kneel down. The offense should be free to do what it wants. What are they going to do, have refs making judgments whether some little side step and kneel by the QB is technically a kneel down or not?

It also makes no sense to have a team up by 30 running the ball with 2 minutes or less left. No point in exposing players on either team to injury when nothing is at stake.

At the same time, the D is also free to fire out like a pack of wolves. The current rules are fine, offenses just need to accept that the D might not just give up if they're within a score. Frankly, I think teams should be doing more of what TB did.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty sure that's the rule in high school in most areas. You have to attempt to gain yardage.

Honestly, I'd be ok with it. I don't have a problem with kneeling but it does seem to take some of the sport out of the game. I mean, when its one snap it's not a big deal but when the other team is out of TOs and you have to take three straight knees it gets a bit silly.
  10. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    That's what I figured Jerry was going to say when I opened the thread.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,891 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    I would rather have seen Dallas kneeling the ball down at the end of this last game. They had no realistic chance of winning on that final series, so I don't know why they put Romo in potential harms way trying to pass the ball. Just kneel it and burn off that final 30 seconds and go home and get ready for the next game.
  12. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,176 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    In baseball they have the infield fly rule, meaning that you cant let a fly ball hit the ground just so that you can get a double or triple play.

It's a pretty similar situation in football. You do yourself momentary damage, that ultimately puts you in a better position, and generally isn't in the spirit of the game.
  13. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    I think it works both ways. You should be allowed to kneel out the clock, but then the other team should also be allowed to do what Tampa did last week. If two teams had a hard fought bad-and-forth battle, why should the one team sit quietly and watch the other team kneel the ball? I think I saw some trick plays back in the 90s of QBs faking a kneel down and throwing a deep pass. Didn't Montana used to do that a lot?
  14. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,529 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    I dont see a problem with the kneel down, Tampa was trying to make a play but if the QB just steps back and fall it is a mute point.
  15. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Didn't the Cowboys end the Giants game with a kneel down?
  16. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,409 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    this can be settled when the kneel down is a shotgun snap.
  17. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Tom Coughlin is a joke for getting upset about that. Good Coach, don't get me wrong but getting upset over that is a bit childish. "We don't do that in this league".. well the TB coach wants his players to play for 60 min.. get over it and quit crying. Why should the offense get to decide when the game is over? If the giants would have been down by 7 with the ball with 5 seconds to play,, are they just quitting or are they going to runa play and try to win? TB had every right to do what they did and good for them. Screw the giants. No need for a rule change, just change Coughlin's diaper and let's move on.
  18. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,891 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    It is common practice for teams not to use their veteran starters in the 4th pre-season game. Coughlin used his veteran starters including Eli Manning in the 4th pre-season game.
  19. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    [youtube]ML1Ixd3jiGU[/youtube]

The play that kicked off the victory formation.

Craig
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    Jones thinks I should also eat Papa John's pizza.