1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry: "We’re the most popular TV show there is on television"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    There is a post on this thread that says Jimmy had full control over all the contracts & you are saying he did not; that Jerry did.

So which is it?!
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I'm not saying the dual roles are the best what I would say is it can work and has worked the key is having a so called Sargent who has a strong will and is respected enough by the capitan to listen and provide that sargent with the tools he needs to get the job done. Jerry is not shy about spending on players and will get the things the coach wants. Dallas has gone to post season with BP and with Wade even putting up a 13-3 record, hard to blame the GM for the team coming up short, they had the tools to do the job they failed to get it done.
  3. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I'm saying for a fact, When Emmitt held out it was Jerry who got him signed and Jimmy almost in tears after losing 2 games in a row to start the season and Haley putting his helmet through the wall. Jerry got players signed and Jerry talked with players on contracts and perfomace to merit the deal that was being sought.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones lost his salary war with Emmitt Smith yesterday, but he may have won the battle to save the team's season.

After insisting for weeks that he wasn't going to pay Smith as much as Thurman Thomas because of the NFL's looming salary cap, Jones signed Smith to a four-year, $13.6 million deal that makes him the highest-paid running back in pro football.

With the defending Super Bowl champions 0-2 and on the verge on unraveling, Jones gave Smith a contract worth an average of $25,000 a year more than the $13.5 million deal that Thomas signed with the Buffalo Bills in July. Smith will average $3.4 million a year and Thomas $3.375 million.

At a news conference in Irving, Texas, last night after Jones had flown from New York to Atlanta to pick up Smith, Jones said it was a "win-win" solution.

Jones signed Smith's $4 million signing bonus check in front of the cameras and said, "I'm glad you're getting this, Emmitt. Are you happy?"

"Very much," Smith said.

"I am, too," Jones replied.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-09-17/sports/1993260192_1_emmitt-smith-signing-bonus-cowboys
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Looking back now, and not knowing for sure at the time, .. this is as good as any decision Jerry ever made.

Not only did we win the Super Bowl, .. but Jerry looks good for changing his mind and giving the money to the best RB of all time.
  5. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I like every other Cowboy fan and Cowboy player wanted our 22 back in the lineup. Dallas became the 1st team to lose their 1st 2 games and went on to win the SB, Emmitt got the deal he wanted and then earned it. However by the end of the year Barry Sanders would become the highest paid RB
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,103 Messages
    1,269 Likes Received
    Jerry is probably right because the most popular TV shows on television are usually comedies.
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  7. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    See there, what bad decision and waste of money that turned out to be.
  8. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    In some ways, I always felt Sanders was the best pure runner to play the game, however Smith was the ultimate all around RB. Blocking, catching short yardage did not matter. I'll take a man like Smith any day over just a pure runner.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Good points.
  10. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    I guess that is the million dollar question, "would Jerry ever want to hire a big name coach again"?

At some point he has to realize that this "coach in training" thing has been a horrible failure. There is a reason we beat almost everybody under 500 and lose to almost everybody over 500, and is called coaching. When you play a sub 500 trash team, you can usually win just by simply having the better talent. Hence, Garrett's record is outstanding against these type of teams. Conversely, when you are playing teams above 500, the talent evens out and the game usually is decided by coaching decisions/game management. Garrett's record against these teams is horrific, he loses to just about everybody over 500.

How much more of this can Jerry stomach? Might he be tempted to go after a big name like Gruden if this season is crash and burn? Obviously a big name coach is not coming here to be a yes man and will want full control of their personnel and of the roster. Will Jerry even be willing to give that up? Will Jerry be more willing to go with a yes man like Garrett that lets Jerry be the pseudo head coach?
    visionary and Air Force One like this.
  11. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I think if Jerry was 100 % sold Garrett would have already had his contract extended. I think 3 years as Full time HC is enough however his deal last through 2014 and Jerry is giving him this year to turn it around. I also do not think Garrett was or is a yes man
  12. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    I will say this in Jerry's defense, when he bought the team it was in bankruptcy and the Government actually owned part of it. That is why Jerry was able to buy the Cowboys dirt cheap (compared to what franchises sell for today).

He took a $200 million dollar investment and turned it into a $2 billion dollar investment...............the previous owner drove the team into bankruptcy so Jerry does deserve some credit. However, that is strictly from a business sense.
  13. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Jimmy handled ALL contracts (including negotiations and signings) in 1989 and '90. In 1991 he (not Jerry)made one of the front office guys responsible because, as Jimmy said in several interviews over the years, he was having a problem with trying to keep encouraging the player by pumping up his ego with praise for how well he was doing and then in the off-season trying to negotiate a lower contract by pointing out the player's flaws. Jerry (as owner) of course had to approve the contract and Jerry (as GM) also had to submit the contract to the league office. I'll let you decide from these FACTS (not opinion - as it was reported and confirmed by many people in and around the organization at the time) who was "responsible" for getting the contracts done.

The person who stated that Jerry was doing the contracts either does not know what the heck he is talking about or is simply trying to further support his fantasy-land agenda of Jerry being equally responsible for the Cowboy's 3 SBs as Jimmy by telling out-right falsehoods. Jerry had NOTHING to do with contracts (other than approving and submitting them to the league office) until Jimmy left. Period!

Monte Sliger
    BoysFan4ever, Dodger12 and visionary like this.
  14. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,070 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Lol, thats not the way I remember it (& I live in Dallas and followed them like a hawk during that great era), it was Jerry playing hardball with one of the best players on the team that was essential to their success. To me it was an example of where he was beginning to get involved to the point of almost ******* things up. Thank god that team was good enough to overcome an 0-2 start. I hardly consider this a great move on his part, he was backed into the corner after the team started 0-2 and had to sign that deal.

Choosing to play handball with Emmit just strikes me as evidence of his inability to judge a players talent and importance to the team which if he had, the deal would have been done before the season started which should have been obvious if he is the great football man he considers himself to be.

Having said that, I wish Jerry still negotiated this hard with all his players, I think it sets a better tone for the team knowing they won't get a fat contract with ease and I'd be willing to lose a few players or even have a rough start like they did that year with Emmit.
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    That makes no sense unless you want to pin losses on the coaches alone. This team hasn't matched up against +500 teams well in a while. A more experienced coach might have gotten some wins against some of those teams but sometimes you really are what your record says. I'll be the first to admit a more experienced coach could have gotten this team in the playoffs 1-2 of the last 3 years but it's unlikely they could've gotten past the 2nd round. The only thing horrific in my opinion has been the injuries.Your conveniently forgetting Dez not really catching on till the last half of 012 and Austin and Murray and Felix Jones being hurt all the time.
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  16. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I googled it & saw Jimmy was in charge. Thanks though. I missed the other posters answer.
  17. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

425 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Too bad Jerry isn't smart enough to realize that the way he has things set up in his never-ending quest to receive credit for the Cowboys winning is the main reason we don't win. Having himself as GM with his low-key bottom-of-the-barrel puppet HC's has never worked and will never work. But he's obviously willing to go down with this strategy as long as he's making money. Entertainment has replaced football in Big D.
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  18. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Or a football guy at GM. He wants to win the same as any fantasy football player wants to win. Doesn't make him a better GM to want to win. They all want to win, the key is: do they know how? It's clear as daylight Jerry & Sons don't. After so many tries they woulda figured it out by now.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  19. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Funny we traded up for him
  20. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    What's going to really make me laugh is if we ever do get back to the superbowl and everyone says it was in spite of Jer not because of him