1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry: "We’re the most popular TV show there is on television"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    Frankly I see some similarities between Jerry and Tex, they constantly promoted the Cowboys. When Landry hated the term America's team what did Tex do he promoted the idea. I agree Jerry bought a popular franchise no question but he did not just sit back he continued to do what Tex did and that is promote the Cowboys. I'm not excusing his role as GM but as owner he has continued to work deals and to promote the Dallas Cowboys brand and I will not attack him for that.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    If that is the case, you have a lower opinion of Jerry than the so-called "Jerry haters" .
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,537 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    Yep. America loves a good implosion.
    BigStar and BoysFan4ever like this.
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    He's a promoter. It's what he does and he's been quite good at it over the years, adding value to his franchise through his sales pitches.

Right now, he can't promote winning because the team isn't doing it, so the next best thing is to promote how popular the Cowboys are because that's one thing Jerry will always have going for him.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,629 Likes Received
    I kinda like it, too. Even on the ESPN-y made-up stories, it's kind of nice that they go to the Cowboys to gin up interest. I usually hate the content, but the fact that they do it is a back-handed complement to the relevance of the team, even after a long stretch of not being competitive enough.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    That's just the disingenuous refrain when Jerry is spouting the indefensible. All the people that matter on the team know that making Jerry happy by not challenging him and winning just enough games to "keep em coming back to the stadium", is job one, and public statements like this just reinforce that sentiment.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    No. My opinion is neutral. I have neither an overly positive or overly negative opinion concerning his statements.
  8. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

471 Messages
    326 Likes Received
    Wrestlemania 31 Jerry Jones vs Vince McMahon.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Jerry and Vince McMahon got together to host a Wrestlemania event soon.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,615 Messages
    5,525 Likes Received
    I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement about this yet. Sooner or later it will happen.
  10. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,461 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    QFT. If we're going to bash Jerry for his faults, we have to give him credit for his strengths as well.
  11. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    I agree. I have always found it funny that players who come to Dallas and do very well that was someone else's pick but if a player bust well that was Jerry. He took on the role of GM he deserves to take the heat but for people to pick and choose is a bit much. In term of owner, he has stepped up to the plate and continued to grow the franchise.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received

the cowboy brand is up which is good for making money and for the owner

the team is in free fall and has a record in the post season rivaled only by the likes of the browns and the lions which is bad for the fans
    birdwells1 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  13. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,292 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    I've thought the same thing. Somewhere on this board Spaulding is defending his Pappy's honor. No one could be that driven to defend some of this stuff.
    visionary likes this.
  14. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    8 Pages Is Only A Few Posts Away
    YOU have been warned
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,754 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    there is zero incentive for Jerry Jones to change anything. Winning and lossing are immaterial at this point. If you think he is out for whats best for Dallas Cowboy fans...u need to check yourself.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  16. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    Yes it is but I also believe Jerry wants to win I know some will not agree and think all he is interested in is the money i don't. It is one thing to disagree about how he goes about it but I have no doubt at all he wants to win.
    Coy likes this.
  17. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    I agree with this, Jerry does want to win, he´s just going about it the wrong way, starting with not hiring a good HC.
  18. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    And as long as the sheep stand behind him, he'll never need to change.
  19. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,131 Messages
    1,394 Likes Received
    And a good GM

OK, I'll agree, Jerry wants to win, .. but does he want to win bad enough that he doesn't care who gets the credit?

???
    Coy likes this.
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    this is said a lot, however, lets put it in context

first of all, show me the person who "wants to lose"...... everyone wants to win

lets say as a 10 year old i decided i want to become a doctor, that is not unreasonable
    i can put in the work and become a doctor OR
    i can keep saying that i want to become a doctor but waste my time, gets C and D grades... in this case do i really WANT to become a doctor?

jerry wants to win
    there is a process he has to go through to win
    if he continues to subscribe to a process that has been shown to fail in our organization and in every other place it has been tried..... then he does not really want to win

i cant believe that any reasonable person says that jerry wants to win and uses that as an excuse to support what jerry does
    sure he does but not at the expense of his EGO
    Aurican, Wood, BigStar and 3 others like this.