1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry: "We’re the most popular TV show there is on television"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 9, 2014.

1. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,413 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I don't know. I think he's basically telling us to get a life and get over it. I don't think he really believes we are pleased that we have higher ratings than the Baltimore Ravens. Sure, it used to be a point of pride that we had high ratings for our games when we were winning, but now I think it's just that everybody who wanted to see the Cowboys lose is reveling in this.

I think he's basically telling us, "what're ya gonna do? Watch the Tampa Bay Bucs? bwa hahahahaha!!"

Well, Jerry, we're almost as embarrassing as those Tampa Bay Bucs. At least the other 31 teams WANT to win.

If someone set out to find an owner of the Dallas Cowboys who would wreck this team and make all the haters (from the 70s through the 90s) happy, you couldn't have found a better one than Mr. Jerry Jones.
  2. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Of course has 3 Super Bowls on his record as GM. Jerry has been GM ever since Jerry bought the team. No one is disputing the fact that it says "General Manager" on his Office door and business cards and has since February 25, 1989. What people like me say is that the only thing Jerry had to do with building the teams that won those SBs is that he hired Jimmy, Jimmy signed a contract that included the provision that he had FULL CONTROL of anything related to football operations, that he signed the checks and he approved the contracts and trades that Jimmy and his people put in front of him. After all, as GM he had to approve them because he was the only one who was legally entitled to submit them to the league.

If you think he did ANYTHING regarding football decisions and planning, you are simply rewriting historical FACTS to support your agenda/theory. Jimmy has said that he had FULL CONTROL of anything relating to football operations. This has been confirmed by his coaches, lower level front office people and sportswriters such as Blackie Sherrod (who won more awards for excellence in reporting than any reporter in Texas history) and Peter King (nationally known and respected [except here on CZ] NFL writer as well as several more. If you say this is not true, you are calling all of these people liars, not me. You are also displaying, plain-as-day, your agenda on behalf of and man-crush on Jerry Jones. Jerry himself has never denied the fact that Jimmy had control of the football side of the business. Instead, when it's mentioned, he mumbles incoherently about "I've been the GM since day one" and "I'm the only person who has ever been authorized to call the NFL office" (of course I left out all the ums, errs, and lip smacks).

Yes, the SB victories are on his resume but not the credit except for the things outlined in my first paragraph. Sorry if facts blow up your little fantasy world.

Monte Sliger
  3. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    These kinds of comments are embarrassing. It really shows you what he cares about.
    BoysFan4ever and cajuncocoa like this.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,048 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    No agenda, again Jimmy was a strong willed HC and Jerry had complete faith in him so when choices had to be made when players were brought in or traded Jerry rubber stamped it. Again why? Because he hired a good man, a very strong willed HC. I don't excuse jerry however I do not blame him for everything under the sun. Jimmy never hired Jimmy
  5. cajuncocoa

2,413 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    The way I look back on that now, yes, of course he hired Jimmy...with the intention of stealing the credit from Jimmy for building the team that won those Super Bowls. Jerry wanted it to look like he was the one making all those decisions; in fact, I think Jimmy once said that Jerry wanted Jimmy to make it appear as though Jerry was more involved with those decisions than he actually was. The whole fiasco at that infamous owner's meeting (the one where Jerry gave a DMN reporter a drunk interview after hours) is all you should need to know about working for Jerry Jones. A smart businessman would always allow his staff to bask in the glory of success, not caring about credit for himself (he gets that on the bottom line). Keep stroking those people and they will continue to produce for you. When one moves on to bigger things, others will line up to take their place. For some reason (/sarcasm) it's not working out that way for Jerry. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be interested in busting my butt for long hours every day, only to have my boss publicly state that 500 other people could easily do my job and produce the same result. Jerry was wrong about that. The sooner he is willing to admit that, the sooner the Cowboys may be able to pick up the pieces and become a winning team again. Do I think that will ever happen? No, I really don't.
  6. Doomsday101

77,048 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    Jimmy was as much at fault as Jerry was for the breakup. You don't snub the man who pays you, try it with your boss and I can promise you a trip out the door. Jerry comments came after the snub from Jimmy. Jerry was not trying to steal anything from Jimmy. Jerry had no intention of letting Jimmy go and said as much when talk of Jimmy going to Jacksonville popped up as Jacksonville had just been awarded a franchise. I agree Jerry was wrong but Jimmy was just as wrong for his action and it cost both. Jimmy would never reach the level he did in Dallas for the remainder of his career with both the title of HC and GM of Miami.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    Agreed. He is particularly adept at stirring the pot with mindless statements, that is his greatest skill.

Keeping his team "relevant" is just as important than you know, actually winning and letting the performance of his team do all the talking.
  8. cajuncocoa

2,413 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with this. I remember Jimmy was dropping hints about coaching either Jacksonville or Miami near the end of the 1993 season. And I understand what Jimmy was trying to get Jerry to do by making those comments (exactly what Jerry ultimately DID do).

But if I'm Jerry, I think I'd just ignore all that and try to make happy the coach who just won a Super Bowl (and on his way to winning #2) for the team I own, because coaches like that don't grow on trees (obviously). A smart businessman knows how to handle the various egos he has on his staff, and doesn't match a good staffer's egotistical fit with one of his own.

The Cowboys' record for the past 18 years, along with every stupid remark Jerry makes of late, would seem to support this opinion. Now he acts like we fans are ungrateful knuckleheads who don't appreciate the awesome Nielsen ratings the Cowboys bring to TV.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  9. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,155 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Sometimes we miss the point, but that's okay.:)
  10. Doomsday101

77,048 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    Even Aikman blamed both, it was not a one sided issue. To act as if Jerry was the only person at fault is far from reality. NFL teams were not knocking down Jimmy door, Jerry got ridiculed for hiring a college coach so it was never a given that Jimmy would turn things around. Jerry took the heat for it and it worked out yet both men’s egos was too much for them to overcome.
    As often as people here claim no one would want to work for Jerry it was Parcells who said he loved working for Jerry and remains close to Jerry. BP has never been a man to hold his tongue and regrets he left Dallas but the toll the job takes was just a bit much.
  11. Doomsday101

77,048 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    "Oh yeah, definitely. I think it’s distorted," Parcells said. "I think there’s a definite misperception. I just think everyone thinks things are a certain way. I didn’t see it to be that way. I think Jerry is a good businessmen and a good listener. What you have to do is make sense to him. You’ve got to make sense to him. If he thinks you’re making sense, he’ll alter his opinion. I enjoyed him. I like him. I like him a lot."

"I liked my experience there," Parcells said. "It didn’t turn out perfect from a record-standpoint. I understand all of that. But I learned a lot and I enjoyed working there.

"Jerry and I are pretty good friends. I don’t know whether or not people know that. We talk a little bit. I wouldn’t say frequently. We talk a little bit. We talked recently. It’s good. And I’m close with Stephen [Jones], too. I enjoyed working there with the Joneses. They were supportive and tried to help."

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...nes-i-enjoyed-him-i-like-him-i-like-him-a-lot

Again there is fan perception but that is from those who do not know Jerry have never worked for Jerry and then there are statements like this from Parcells who has who knows. So when people make claims of how Jerry thinks that is there view but not necessarily factual or true.
  12. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,809 Messages
    1,869 Likes Received
    I think pretty much anyone with an ounce of football sense knows Jimmy was the guy responsible for those SB teams & not Jerry. He hired him & then Jimmy made the magic happen. The best Jerry can claim is the hire. And he hasn't done diddly since.
  13. Doomsday101

77,048 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    Jerry also handled all player contract. Irvin, Troy and Emmitt all went to Jerry not Jimmy. It was Jerry who told Irvin if you want to get paid like Jerry Rice then you need to produce like Jerry Rice, Irvin did and Jerry gave him the contract Mike wanted. Same with Emmitt whom at the time wanted to make more than Barry Sanders and Jerry told him the same and once Emmitt did Jerry made him the highest paid RB. To say Jerry did nothing but hire Jimmy is not turthful. Together these 2 won without each other they haven't.

It is not by accident that Jerry has been the man who has inducted guys like Irvin into the HOF and the relationships he has with the players
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,486 Messages
    6,199 Likes Received
    This is exactly how I feel about it, fwiw.
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  15. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Is this the kind of relationship that you want your GM to have with his players?
  16. Doomsday101

77,048 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    Yes I think GM door should be open to players a team is not a one man show. GM have interaction with players as well.
  17. cajuncocoa

2,413 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I hope you understand that I'm not holding Jimmy blameless in that whole debacle. Only that (like the Landry firing) I would have tried to handle it better than Jerry did.

Yes, it was Jerry who gave Jimmy the opportunity to coach in the NFL when everyone was ridiculing both for it. (It's so easy for the sports media to ridicule the Cowboys about everything). Jimmy was ready to leave Dallas anyway, and he knew which buttons to push. I don't know if either one would admit this, but Jerry and Jimmy were better together than either of them are apart.
  18. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Yeah but to make decisions without emotions being involved you have to keep your relationships professional, now the owner can have a friendly relationship with players but that really is the problem isn't it.

When I was in the Army someone told me "whenever bad news had to be delivered to our company, the 1st Sargent was the one giving the message but whenever it was good news it was our Captain".

I kinda look at the GM to be like the Sargent and the owner to be the Captain, it's hard being both.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,458 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received

it is not hard, it is not possible in the current NFL with FA

there is not one single owner who was also GM in the FA era whose team has won a SB

NOT ONE in almost 20 years with 32 teams
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,458 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received

quoted for truth
    great post that many on this board need to read again and again and again and........