1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Jerry You Have 6 Picks To Play With In The 7th

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,849 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    Would be a total of between 65-75 points on most draft charts - would equate to a mid 4th if we started wheeling and dealing with them.

Gives you a lot of flexibility in targeting players late in the draft.
  2. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,133 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Right, which is why i mentioned those three in particular, but i agree with you.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

4,406 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I judge players on the field and the field alone. For a 7th rounder Ratliff was a good player for the Cowboys for quite a few years.
  4. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

3,351 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    you have to look at the promise. teams that succeed get elite and good players in the top rounds, players that are solid and they don't risk those picks (see ravens, SF, Pittsburgh, etc.).

and you have to do your homework and find players in the lower rounds like seattle, patriots, GB, etc. you can't just dismiss it as fat chance these players make it. those who succeed often find the right players in the lower rounds.

tom brady was a 6th rounder. patriots didn't just dismiss a 6th round pick. Marques Coltson was a 7th rounder. There is gems there. you just got to do your homework and keep looking. find one and you are set for 10 years.
    visionary likes this.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

83,243 Messages
    6,548 Likes Received
    save a little cash and look for a long snapper who can replace L.P. Ladouceur
    windward likes this.
  6. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,514 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    I believe Jerry will use those picks to trade down...
    Fredd, visionary and GimmeTheBall! like this.
  7. rockj7

rockj7 Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I understand the point of bringing up the Rat Crayton and Romo in reguards to why the 7th round can produce players but while making your point you also discredit your point, Crayton in known for his big mouth and his not running the route through in the playoff game against the Giants Rat is a quitter who comes across as if he is bipolar and Tony he is the beautiful nightmare lol
  8. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

14,448 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    I don't like it when in trying to praise someone we qualify shortcomings with injuries and contract. He either was 1. Great 2. OK or 3. Journeyman

to me Ratliff was No. 3. Somehow, when talk got around to the greats in defensive lines Ratliff's name NEVER come up. but that's just me.
    Keep up the otherwise good work, FaninDC
  9. GimmeTheBall!

14,448 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Thanks for the LOL. ;)
  10. GimmeTheBall!

14,448 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received

good reply. I like it, though I maintain that for ever Brady there are hundreds who will never make it to the Arena/Canadian leagues, much less the NFL.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

57,526 Messages
    9,719 Likes Received
    Exactly how I would spend those picks.
    SilverStarCowboy likes this.
  12. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

11,257 Messages
    7,143 Likes Received
    I really hope they don't OD on red flagging prospects this year. 7th rd is when they need to take a chance on one or two.
  13. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

488 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Alot of good solid players you can find inthe late rounds just like you can find in UDFA as well. Like the poster above said you just have to do your homework and know who to pull the trigger on inthe bargin bin. Alot of players aren't going to get drafted due to the record number of Juniors declaring this year

Alot of teams often take projects from smaller schools hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, which if this was me I would still target the big school program guys personally inthe later rounds
  14. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

358 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Logan Thomas, Stephen Morris or Hingle McCringleberry, with one of those players i'm fine.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

14,448 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received

Damn, Zordon, you like ever thing. And I keep trying to write something you will not like. Here is something you will not like:

Spike Lee as our new GM.

heh
  16. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

3,056 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    12 rounds? that's like 4 days!
    I wonder how many readers actually remember that.
  17. CowboysFaninDC

3,351 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    couldn't you say the same things about high profile top round players? its most of these athletes these days. desean Jackson is an idiot. TO was disruptive. dez Bryant ain't a quire boy. aquib talib is on his third team. the list of athletes with issues is long.
  18. CowboysFaninDC

3,351 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I agree. NFL is pretty good in identifying talent and they are getting better at it. most of these guys drop because either they are small school, moved around in their positions a lot and never solidified anywhere (jack of all trades master of none), didn't produce because they didn't have the right people around them, they don't seem to have the physical skills, etc. and to your point most will end up out of the league, but when you find one like Sherman or brady or romo then you are set for a good while.
    GimmeTheBall! and ceerrece like this.
  19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

8,337 Messages
    5,855 Likes Received
    There have actually been tons of guys.

Seven rounds is only 220 players. That's a minute fraction of the players eligible for the draft.

Miles Austin, Tony Romo, Ron Leary, Cole Beasley, Ben Bass, Dan Bailey....tons of players in the NFL weren't drafted.
  20. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

358 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    The evaluation process has become very complex, between the combine and other kind of stuff, talent evaluators have lost their sight on the things that really matters: can those players really "play" the game of football?