1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry's faith in Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 11, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,426 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    Wow, ill start this off with just saying WOW!

Now i dont know if thats a good or bad wow just yet, but i guess we will find out in this year.

While alot of people are saying this is a Jerry move and Garrett is now his puppet. Ill say its the contrary, this is clearly a Garrett move. Kiffin is not the type of guy that Jerry goes after. He's about the flashy guy. Kiffen is a older version of Garrett personality wise. Boring and smart. Will not speak the media and will just get his job done.

I think we've come to the point where Jerry is giving Garrett the keys. Granted it might be for 1 yr because if Garrett fails he's gone as soon as the Cowboys play their last game in '13. But i think this is Garrett's team now. I know people are going to say this is not the way it is, Jerry needs to be the center of it all blah blah blah. But this offseason who have we seen more of? Jason Garrett, talking about whatever. But the face of the offseason has been Garrett not Jerry.

Now im not saying that Garrett will be the end of all saying in Dallas. Thats still Jerry, but i think Jerry is willing to let Garrett take the lead going forwards to an extent. Garrett is building the team the way he wants. This is just something that Jerry has done twice and thats with Jimmy and Parcells.
  2. TtownCowboy

TtownCowboy Member

359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed. Multiple reports that Garrett and Rob didn't mesh possibly even that Rob was a Jerry hire he talked Garrett in to. I believe this gives Jason a D Cord. that he does not have to worry about bolting for a HCing gig, or even maybe one that does not undermine him and has the team split.
  3. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

962 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I don't get all the negative posts about the guys age. My uncle is 72 and can outwork most 30 year olds and that is the truth. The guy has done alot in the NFL and knows how to design a good Defense....
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Posts like this are just old.

Always kick the guy on his way out and defend the person still here.

Garrett sucks and if he didnt suck so bad Rob Ryan would still be here.

We can't keep playing sloppy offensive football and ever think we're going to get somewhere.
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,490 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Take it for what its worth but The Fan reported earlier today that RR was a Garrett hire. Garrett got the thumbs up from his good pal Norv Turner who had RR on his staff in Oakland.

The way I see it, RR did a great sales job on Garrett and he did not live up to it. We'll never know what RR promised he could accomplish but it obviously was not achieved.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    One of your best posts ever, and that is saying a lot.
  7. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,734 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Yeah, tired of the same old posts, lets try posting something new ....like garrett sucks :D
  8. TtownCowboy

TtownCowboy Member

359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't give a crap if you think it gets old or not. A ton of your drabble gets the same way. I never cared for the Ryan hire to begin with so it's got nothing to do with him leaving. Garrett sucking and Rob leaving have nothing to do with each other. You think Ryan was a great coach I think he sucked. Bet neither one of us can actually prove it. It's all opinion on here anyway.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,772 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Offense = 6th with 2 first round picks
    Defense = 19th with 4 first round picks
  10. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Maybe because he's afraid of young people, bright lights, and pooping himself at the podium.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,426 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    Maybe because he comes from a different Era that didnt care to be in the limelight.
  12. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,500 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    If Garrett didn't suck then Rob would magically not suck? I don't get it.

With or without injuries the defense was horrible no matter how you look at it.

EDIT: What zrin said. Rob did more with less? We've been pumping first rounders into that defense for years now.
  13. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,982 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    It's funny how the narrative always changes.

When Rob came in, Garrett was praised to the nines here for supposedly recognizing how important it was bringing in a DC that was the opposite of him personality-wise. Kind of a good cop/bad cop thing.

Now that failed and...oh wait, that wasn't Garrett's fault. Now we hail him as a genius for finally hiring "his kind of guy".

There's always an excuse. This move is all Jerry.
  14. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,830 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Stop with this. I'm no Ryan fan but he had multiple guys playing off the street the 2nd half of the season and Ware with an arm tied behind his back. The injury situation was not close to comparable, and one of those 1st rd picks you are citing was a rookie CB.

Plus your counting yards for offense, not scoring where they were 15th.

Again I'm fine that Ryan is gone, but this is disingenuous at best.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,662 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Yep...

And it's funny to say this is all Garrett when Jerry has known Kiffin for decades and his bestest advisor/drinking buddy Lacewell is his biggest fan.

And LOL at the rankings argument. One, all the injuries were on the defensive side of the ball, and two, the points rankings are in my sig. They were very meager again for Garrett.

Finally, how can the "face of the offseason" be Garrett when he hasn't even been seen while Jerry is the one doing the TV shows?
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Who cares about the age... Monte Kiffin is a defensive GURU! I'm just happy Dallas is going back to a 4-3 defense!
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Whenever Jerry is interviewed he's always saying what's he's going to do.

So it's clear Jerry is making these moves.

I just wish he'd fire the coach that has no clue what he's doing.
  18. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think that you're on the right path.

Craig
  19. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I sure hope that you're right, but this feels like either confirmation bias or wishful thinking. If Garrett is indeed stripped of playcalling responsibilities - or steps back from them willingly, would you still have the same perspective?
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,426 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    Yes because overall the team is going in the direction that Garrett wants. IDK if thats a good thing or bad at this point. I just know i wanted to see a change in the coaching. Basically because this team was stupid in terms of the basic fundamentals, namely penalties.

Id like to see who Garrett chooses to concede his playcalling duties to. IMO Callahan can go. If theyre going to fire Ryan because his defense was fundamentally bad, they can fire Callahan too. Because his group was fundamentally horrible. Penalties, missed assignments.