1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jimmy Johnson - A Football Life

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Lonestar94, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Just saw that it comes on next Wednesday on NFL Network, featuring Troy Aikman Michael Irvin and a whole lot of others. For someone that was too young to really see the Cowboys back in the day this looks very interesting.
  2. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,141 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    awesome, that should be a must see
  3. Lonestar94

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,767 Messages
    4,843 Likes Received
    Thanks for the news!
  5. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm gonna eat that up with a spoon!
  6. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,328 Messages
    704 Likes Received
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I bet Jerry has already offered to give some time up to make his episode. This has to gnaw on him.
  8. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yawn.

Not really interested in this. I wish the Cowboys would do something in the present worth documenting.
  9. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The fans who didn't get to see Jimmy do his magic, it would be a good idea to watch this one.
  10. Lonestar94

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    *Cough* Numbers921 *Cough*
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    5,595 Likes Received
  12. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,962 Messages
    945 Likes Received

It is the definition of bitter sweet. Those are great, great memories. You will see in a heartbeat what the driving force behind this team was, and how it's been a football death with one brief interregnum ever since.
  13. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  14. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Well-Known Member

1,183 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Ill admit it...Almost brought tears to my eyes..

What a great organization this is and now being dragged like a cheap towel...smh

:cool:
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,601 Messages
    2,156 Likes Received
    as someone who watched the cowboys those years, be kind to yourself and dont watch it

it will make you cry realizing what this franchise once was and where a delusional football idiot has brought the team

that team and coaching staff were contenders every year, not the laughing stock the team is now
  16. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,962 Messages
    945 Likes Received

Well, there were the rebuilding years that were pretty tough, but you got a sense from the beginning that Jimmy was going to do everything he could to re-constitute the team or die trying. A lot of ups and downs, but an almost win at all cost feeling that pervaded the Johnson years - football first.

There were glimpses of that during BP's tenure IMO, but in the post cap era, the talent deficit that Jerry had created was harder to overcome, and you never got the sense that Bill had the same degree of latitude as Jimmy did.

The other 5 coaches since Jimmy (grateful as they were to have HC jobs), seemed to have one primary qualification: they were all very willing to sit passively in the back seat while Jerry commanded the ship, and I think that the players have reacted accordingly.
  17. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As a Cowboys fan you'll be in the minority as far as wanting to see this. I would suspect that you didn't have the pleasure of experiencing his time here. I plan on recording and archiving it to DVD.;)

There's no sport that captures or exalts it's history better than the NFL.
  18. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    I'll watch.

As a younger fan it will be nice to see how it was when the team was great.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,870 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm to the point where I'm almost rejecting our past because it only illustrates how far we have fallen.

If this was just a case of having the right structure but hiring the wrong people that would be one thing. But we aren't even structured properly. The decline of the Cowboys didn't have to happen. It doesn't have to continue. All it takes is one man to set his ego aside and they can be great again. That's what's so aggravating. One guy's ridiculously large ego has caused all this and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. No foreseeable way out of it.

What the heck's wrong with just being a great Owner and racking up hardware? I'm pretty sure the fan base would worship you in that role, if credit and attention is what you seek.
  20. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Nailed it.