1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jimmy Johnson - A Football Life

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Lonestar94, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Football is an emotional game and he brings that. I miss that fire and passion from a head coach.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,461 Messages
    6,026 Likes Received
    the man is a delusional selfish psycopath.
  3. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It's not like we're asking Jerry to give up ownership, go ahead and be the owner, we just want a GM that's all.

If it doesn't work out, fire him and move on to the next one. He'd get so much more respect if he did at least that. I know, it'll never happen while Jerry is still alive though.

I at least know as a fan that Jerry is the problem. A lot of fans won't agree, but they're the ones who don't have a clue or don't care to see things the right way.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    How did we ever win with Landry?

There are dozens of ways to be a successful coach. That style is what worked for Jimmy.
  5. gambit187

gambit187 Active Member

700 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I did shed a tear....I was in my early 20's when we had Jimmy......Now in my early 40's still look like i'm in my 20's but 8 years of Army service 88-95 it catching up.....I CANT WAIT TO WATCH THAT AND RELIVE THE MEMORIES....
  6. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    With a bunch of hall of famers including the Doomsday D and Captain America ;)

Kidding aside, I get your point but do you think Landry would put up with the penalties, turnovers, lack of accountability that we see in today’s Cowboys? IMO this team needs someone pushing them and holding them accountable and unfortunately I do not see that in Garrett, hope I´m wrong.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Until we see the practices and film sessions there is no way to assume he and hsi staff aren't working to fix the penalties.

3 last game by the way. I'd take 6 more if they replaced the turnovers.
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    In the NFL Network special Drew Pearson said after they would win Coach Landry would still get on them..he said you wondered did we just lose that game? He said he had a way about him that none of them wanted to be the guy that let the coach down.

I would think a lot of that attitude was the same with Jimmy.
  9. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    For you young ones, don't miss it. Set your DVR now. I became a fan in the 70's(The year we beat the Broncos in the SB), and my father used to tell me about Lily, Merideth, Hayes, etc; I wish I could see those games.
  10. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  11. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
  12. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    wasn't afraid to bench players, Jimmah Jenius was a " task " master..

and neither had to deal with salary cap (much) and all the implications that come with it... ( * Jimmah Jenius did and quit * )

such as: " you want to cut me ? I don't care. I already have my money "..

or: " why should I go through a wall for you when the smart thing to do is to stay healthy and get paid.. "

or: " why develop you when I'm going to lose you in 3 years ? "

As I've said before, that was an almost completely different league those coaches worked in. Different rules, different mindsets (players, coaches AND front offices ), different times.

and they're not coming back.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    Landry had plenty of fire and passion. He just wasn't demonstrative on the field. He didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like Jimmy. I've actually heard several of his players talk about this and to not be fooled by his calm demeanor on the sidelines. They've seen the other side of him.

If you want to rip Garrett, I'd look for another avenue. The guy was born into a football family. It's all he knows and loves. Questioning his fire and/or passion seems foolish to me. Maybe you're right when you say he can't coach but don't tell me he doesn't have a burning desire for it and doesn't invest himself totally in that goal.

Football, Dallas Cowboys football in particular, is in his blood.
  14. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,564 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Thanks man I will definitely record it!
  15. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Landry didn't have his GM overruling his decisions, or questioning his play calling on the sidelines like Garrett has. Not even Vince Lombardi could win a superbowl with this egomaniac as his GM. Jimmy had the brass cojones to stand up to Jerry. I don't know if Bill did. After all he was stuck with "the player" whether he liked it or not. You can't have the GM dictate who starts or who sits. The coach loses all credibility.
  16. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Every NFL head coach is passionate and committed to the job. You can’t get to this level without having that.

Jimmy Johnson is a different animal. He attacked it with a passion that i think few could match. The reason he burned out so quickly.
  17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,571 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    How can you not be fired up after watching the trailer?! I'm ready to hit something.
  18. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,338 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones "I can bring in 500 coaches to coach this team " Still haven't found a replacement for Jimmy! Jerry you bloody fool. you had it all and your ego ruined it. I will never forgive you for that. How bout dem Cowboys....
  19. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    As much as he tried to hide it, Troy's competitiveness came to the surface during one of the trailers I saw. He said we never knew how good it was. (paraphrased)
  20. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received