1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jimmy Johnson calls Jerry Jones' G.M. claims a "crock"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jgboys1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,037 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    While it may look like I'm defending Jerry, I'm not.

The man has indeed bungled a lot with the franchise over the past 20 years.

He strikes me a used car salesman with an ego in every sense... But that type of person does bring some positives to the table.

It's just I don't see Jimmy as being either the ultimate football "god" nor innocent when it comes to the break-up from Jones.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,037 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    You make a lot of great points.

To me "timing" and "luck" are two sides of the same coin.
  3. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

878 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He had his finger on the pulse of college talent at the time. He also deserves credit for revolutionizing the value of draft picks, which he used greatly to his advantage. For whatever reason, I do recall his Miami drafts being fairly putrid.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,861 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Jimmy is one of my gods so I accept these comments as gospel.
  5. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    All the penalties and mistakes point to a lack of motivation, considering the talent many players on the team possess. A lack of fear in the players makes sense, as an example I thought Scandrick's look on his face coming off the field after the penalty was way too upbeat. He said the right things after the game, but that look ticked me off. Under Jimmy, he would have feared what's coming next.

A good example of finding ways to instill fear is what the Falcons do with players who commit penalties, having them come up to the front of the room at meetings following the game. That has demonstrably worked for them. Why don't we do it?

Instead of bickering over the past, the proof that this team has fallen off since the Jimmy era is self-evident. What changed besides personnel? The fear factor. That should be the main point here, getting that back. All the talent in the world can be drafted, but human nature will bring the quality of play down in 90% of the guys if they are not whipped into shape and driven to play hard and their best. It's not here, it's not in many places. You see it in highly disciplined teams like the Patriots and Giants, and what do you know, they win Super Bowls.

Jerry is the problem.
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,725 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    People can brush off Jimmy as being EVERYTHING that happened to us in the early to mid nineties, but the FACT IS, Jerry has absolutely ruined this franchise since he's left.

Argue that.
  7. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

9,756 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Jimmy rocked the boat by mentioning moving back to Florida and coaching the new Jacksonville franchise that would be coming into the league in 95. He started it during the Cowboys SB run in 93. Jerry heard Jimmy's comments on the radio and said the back of his neck turned red. Jerry was asked if Jimmy wanted more control and he said probably.

There were rumors Jimmy wanted a piece of the team Jerry never confirmed it but said it would never happen. The Cowboys success clearly went to Jimmy's head and push came to shove between him and Jerry.

Jimmy wanted to move on never staying more than 5 years anywhere he coached. They both wanted most of the credit for the Cowboys success. Jerry felt he could do without Jimmy it was a clash of ego's that led to their demise.
  8. KJJ

9,756 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    [YOUTUBE]i9K071WrNZ4[/YOUTUBE]
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,145 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    I think that's it in a nutshell.

Back then titles were just that. They were titles. They meant nothing.

Everyone knew that Jimmy was the man, he made the calls, and if he didn't want someone there then they wouldn't be there.

Now days i'm not sure that this is the case. In fact it seems pretty obvious that things aren't really that way.

The level of activity in that roll is really the problem with Jerry now. He's always had the title but never had the real say or did much in terms of it back then.

Everyone has to know that Jimmy was the man for that part. Jerry's part of the job was making sure he found a way to make the contracts make sense to get the people that Jimmy wanted. That's the part that Jerry, and his people, did great jobs during those days.

To be quite honest I don't believe thats the case. I'm certain there are at least a handful of people here who would honestly be just destroyed and sick if Jerry ever won again.

True.

But never had the success that was believed he'd have and also managed to get out of town after his team was just destroyed by the Jags.

To me that's still an indictment of Jimmy. If he's the coach, if he's the man with the power and the control, then Jimmy should have sat Marino's butt on the bench and got himself a QB that would get with the program.

Jimmy talked about fear in Dallas and such in that interview but he obviously didn't strike to much fear in Miami if Marino could just do whatever he wanted.
  10. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Jerry and Jimmy have never really done well apart. See Jimmy with the fins.
  11. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    871 Likes Received
    This

I have said this for years.

Jimmy had an advantage as did his staff. They knew the players and he had a great deal of picks to move around.

But he also recognized talent and knew how to motivate.

Jerry has none of those components.
  12. KJJ

9,756 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Dale Hansen's interview with Jimmy was a few years ago when Wade was the coach but you would think it was taped the other day with Jimmy talking about all the penalties and turnovers that are killing the Cowboys. It's the same problem today nothing has changed.
  13. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    871 Likes Received
    Nothing ever equals anything else in life or football. This argument won't work because Jimmy had Marino, not a very young and hungry Aikman.

Jimmy molded the Cowboys into his image.

He managed the Dolphins into what they were.
  14. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,758 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    He picked up Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison, Derrick Rodgers, and Patrick Surtain. Obviously, nothing like he did with the Cowboys, but that was a different era and he had a million picks.

Compare that with the Cowboys at the same time and we got:

Randall Godfrey, Dexter Coakley, Greg Ellis, Derrick Hambrick, and Flozell Adams.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,725 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    Jimmy won championships in College.
  16. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

878 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It's been awhile since I looked at them, but I remember one draft being a total bust ('99 I think). Not to mention Yatil Green and John Avery as first rounders.
  17. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:bow:

I like this post... As an aside, this 'revelation' seems to be motivated more so by the documentary around Jimmy Johnson that is set to play, i.e. create some controversy to generate viewership.
  18. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

671 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    On the basis of his contract and won-loss record, I'm buying Jimmy's side of the story.
  19. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Bob Ackles is an under appreciated guy in the building of the 90's Cowboys and was actually a holdover from the Landry regime.

He was fired by Jerry and was at the table when Jerry made the toast that ended all toasts between Jerry and Jimmy. Its my understanding that Ackles and Jerry weren't too chummy following his firing and as a result it may be understandable why all parties at that table were not too enthused about Jerry's toast.

Adam, you probably have much more info on this (including any necessary corrections of my inaccuracies), could you expound on this and Bob Ackles a little?

It doesn't seem he got enough credit for the success of the 90's
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,758 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    Jimmy quit in Jan. of 1999, so that doesn't count.