1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jimmy Johnson calls Jerry Jones' G.M. claims a "crock"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jgboys1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

1,991 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Listen and think about this for a second. In 1989, we selected Troy Aikman overall and if I recall at that time, he became the highest paid rookie in the history of the NFL. So what does Jimmy do next? He drafts Steve Walsh with their first round pick in the 1989 supplemental draft. The reason I bring this up is because it's akin to the situation/example that you're proposing. Did Jerry not sign Walsh? Did Jerry veto the pick? He just gave Aikman millions and the team was in financial trouble. You basically scrub your 1990 draft, giving your first pick away at the top of the draft, for a QB when you had just taken a QB first overall in the 89 draft. That's crazy by any standard and people thought Jimmy was crazy at the time. And Walsh, although being a serviceable back-up, was, in fact, a scrub.

The point is that you don't need a whole lot more proof as to who was running the football operation back then.
  2. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    A meeting on the Asthma Field?:holmes:
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    People standing around I guess.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received
  5. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,365 Messages
    74 Likes Received
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received

When a sports team fails to meet fan expectations this tends to happen alot.
  7. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    thanks for posting that. the issue with Jerry is that he's not completely incompetent as a GM. he's not great but by the same token he's not a complete failure. which brings us to the mediocrity. the record says we're .500 which is a direct correlation to Jerry's management style. for every Demarcus Ware or Jason Witten there's a Roy Williams or Quincy Carter.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    And its not new!Jimmy has stated this for years and did in an interview a year or two back. I referenced it in the Jerry GM thread the other day. Jerry is delusional.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    Not completely incompetent? Did you forget how bad we were before Parcells arrived? There wasn't a worse roster in the league. Am I supposed to think that guy, who took a dynasty down to doormat status in 5 years, suddenly got smart and found guys like Tony Romo and Miles Austin, Jay Ratliff and Jason Witten?

Give me a break. We all know where that came from.
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    which is exactly what I mean. he's dumb enough to hire campo and trade for Galloway and then he realizes his mistake and hires Parcells and drafts Witten. The same guy who drafted Bobby Carpenter drafted Sean Lee. Sings a Kyle Kosier and turns around and signs a Mackensy Bernardeau. He's not wholly incompetent but not good enough to put together a roster that can contend for a title. For every Laurent Robinson or Tony Fiammetta there's a Kevin Ogletree and Lawrence Vickers. Hit and miss all the time.
  12. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hit or miss is what the NFL is all about....

Its what happens when trying to evaluate players talents and how they perform in the NFL.

Take Manning away from Indy......they dont win.....Brady away from NE....Rodgers away from GB....etc.

For every franchise Qb drafted....how many are missed....then you have to ask...how can they be so lucky to hit..

Jerry maybe has missed more then some ....but he sure isnt the worst...We witness a front office for the Eagles who had a contending team for maybe a decade....and missed on finding that final piece to win a SB....it happens...

JMHO
  13. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    It happens and it costs Coaches and GM's their jobs. Peyton Manning got hurt and Bill Polian got canned. Was it fair? Probably not but then again he's responsible for the team's results and when they're the worst team in the league somebody gets the axe.
  14. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,556 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    Let's consider the Eagles for a moment. From 2000-2010, they made the playoffs in nine of eleven seasons. They were a perennial contender. There's no indication the Cowboys are even close to that level of performance, and it's been 17 years since they were.

Furthermore, there's a very real possibility Andy Reid will be fired at the end of the season if the Eagles don't make the playoffs, and it would be only the second time in five years his team hasn't made the playoffs.

The NFL is full of hits and misses, but it's not a coin flip. There's a reason certain teams are contending on a regular basis, and it has nothing to do with luck.
  15. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Andrew "Luck", maybe :)
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,556 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    I knew that one was coming. :D
  17. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    bolded : yea, Jimmy was. Why would you be trying to convince ME of that, though?? unless reading comprehension is not your friend.

the rest of your post isn't the same thing as what I proposed. nobody KNEW for a fact Walsh was a scrub - he was a rookie, as was Aikman.
  18. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,466 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    No, it's mostly miss. He took them to the toilet, hired Parcells to get his stadium (Jerry's words, not mine), and now has the team well back on the way into the toilet as the players acquired during Parcells time get old.
  19. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

1,991 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    You proposed a far flung scenario below and stated that no one was going to convince you that Jerry would let it happen. The Walsh scenario was extreme and Jerry did let it happen because he had no choice. I answered your question. If you can't understand the the relevance, then don't question my comprehension skills, especially when you just can't seem to grasp what multiple people, including Jimmy Johnson, are trying to tell you.

20. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hmm, Jimmy Johnson has never tried to tell me anything.

And, nice try. You may want to actually check those reading comprehension skills. I never said nobody was going to convince me that Jerry would let that actual scenario itself happen. I said nobody could convince me that Jerry HAD to let it happen, as Jerry could have just fired Jimmy. The point I have made is so simple and straight forward that anyone who can actually read would never try to argue it.