1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jimmy Johnson calls Jerry Jones' G.M. claims a "crock"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jgboys1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Maybe Jerry should develop a Superbowl Champion on his own and stick it to Jimmy. I think we would all be happier with that scenario.
  2. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,393 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    CCboy is that you?:)
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,156 Messages
    1,932 Likes Received
    A failure who never once had a losing record in Miami.....
  4. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,673 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Nope, it's Jerry Jones
  5. birdwells1

3,393 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Now it's all starting to make sense.:D
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,615 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    Taking Adam at his word, he did back up his claim. But I don't know if I would question Jimmy's veracity. I doubt he probably even looked at the media guide, seeing how busy he was with other things.

I think Adam is right and the others are right.

Adam is responding to the letter of Jimmy's words. The others are responding to the meaning behind Jimmy's words.

I just don't understand why it was so hard for Jimmy to just swallow his pride and let Jerry believe that he had more influence than he did. I mean, what's the harm in that? :huh:

Everyone kinda knew who was behind the resurrection of the Cowboys. So wat if a billionaire owner wants to take a little credit in the franchise he bought.

I blame Jimmy Johnson as much as I blame Jerry Jones. Both had tremendous egos and couldn't accept each other for who they actually were.

Such a shame. I honestly believe we would have been the first team to win 5 straight Super Bowls. Sigh. :(
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,673 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,390 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Exactamundo.

YR
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,615 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    Jimmy's problems in Miami were two fold:

1. Marino ran the show. Jimmy wanted to move to a more run-oriented team, but Danny Boy would have nothing of it. And despite Johnson's title as coach, Marino ruled Miami.

2. The Dolphins were never able to develop an "Emmitt Smith" to convince Marino he needed to change his outlook on a run-oriented offense. Acquiring a back in the 90s wasn't the same as it is now, when you can acquire a good back for a dime and get a dozen.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,341 Likes Received
    Whoops!
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    3 playoff appearances, winning a playoff game in 2 of those seasons.

Yep, what a disaster.
  12. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,488 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Yes, but not as rough as I would like it to be.

When it's so rough that he can no longer continue to carry on this charade of his as a no-nothing general manager, and is embarrassed enough to give in and hand over the keys to someone who knows what he is doing, THEN it will be rough enough.
  13. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    of course it's irrelevant to who actually ran the team. so??? none of that was ever in question. it was relevant to a portion of what Jimmy claimed, however, and the fact that this portion of what he claimed was not true.
  14. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,390 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    I vividly remember interviews with Jerry on TV, particularly ESPN where he was known as the owner, president and GM. I think it was very clear that Jimmy knew he had those titles.

I think the team in the 90's was built with Jimmy's vision, but he needed somebody to help execute the plan and get the players he wanted. Why? Because it would be an incredibly ridiculous undertaking for any single coach to do that...that's why other teams have GM's.

The real shame is that both guys cut their noses off to spite their face. Both lost out on a great opportunity to win numerous other Super Bowls and Jimmy went to Miami and failed...had the largest playoff loss in the history of the NFL and became exactly what he never wanted, a lame duck head coach in Miami because he couldn't get rid of Marino.

Regardless of who had what exact influence, I just don't see it translating to any real change in the structure of the Cowboys. The only way it can change is if it hits Jerry in the pocket. And I don't believe those who claim they hate Jerry have the stones to abolish themselves from watching the Cowboys or spending money on the Cowboys. It's like Dan Graziano stated, fans DO have a choice for what teams they root for. The real joke is on them because they often fail to realize that. And Jerry laughs all the way to the bank at their expense.

YR
  15. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    NO Super Bowl Rings with one of the ALL TIME Best QBs in NFL History. Playoffs does not mean Success. Go ask the Eagles Fans if Reid is a successful Coach. No Ring/Trophy means "Unsuccessful Season".
  16. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    True Statement. I am in full agreement.
  17. birdwells1

3,393 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Well, because Jimmy has and ego to just like all coaches. He didn't come up through the ranks (started coaching in 1965), pay his dues on every level (including high school) to watch some guy that made his money in the oil field take the credit for his work.

Coaching cred and becoming a "football guy" are things that can't be bought no matter how much money you have and that's something that Jerry's seeks but will never get.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,023 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    The topic of Jerry's role when it comes to a coach disciplining players or benching players during a game is one I'd actually like to see the Dallas media go crazy with for a change. Hear what Jason has to say about his authority in that regard, and why he choses to keep players who make game-swinging mental errors in the game. Hear what Jerry is willing to say on record about Jason's ability to bench whoever he wants, whenever he wants.

I'm pretty sure they'll both say it's up to Jason, but I'd like to hear it for the record. If it's not an area where JG has complete autonomy, then it's a hell of an actual criticism of Jerry Jones as a GM/owner. Much of that directionless criticism I don't listen to, but this would be valid criticism in my book.

One other semi-interesting point Darren Woodson made on Cowherd this morning was that Jerry does such a good job of taking care of his guys that there's no 'meat' hanging out there for guys to play for. Not sure how much that bears out, but it's another tidbit worth mulling over.

Might it be that there are a couple of procedural changes Jerry's been unwilling to make that aren't necessarily deal-breakers for his ego but that could have a positive effect on the team going forward?
  19. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this is absolutely ridiculous. why do so many people have a problem with reading what someone has written and taking it for what is says???? why put your own meaning into it???
  20. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    And in sixteen years, we have a grand total of one playoff win.