1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jimmy Johnson calls Jerry Jones' G.M. claims a "crock"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jgboys1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Thanks for the hearty chuckle. The laugh was right on time.
  2. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I think the whole GM thing is overblown. Jerry may have been the "GM" but Jimmy was 1 step below. Jimmy called all the shots and Jerry just said ok.
  3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,314 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    Agree both made bad decisions, but I understand why Jimmy took the Miami gig at the time. Marino had a typical Marino-year in 1995. I assume he wanted to win with another team, and call it a career. Didnt work out.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Jimmy contributed to that friction. I wish he had not, but he was throwing out overtures to Jacksonville during his last season in Dallas.

You only need to look at the four drafts after Jimmy left to know who was truely in charge while he was there, but Jimmy has to get some blame for the split because his eyes were wandering.
  5. DrKennethNoisewater

DrKennethNoisewater Member

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Not the point...the point was made that he left the Cowboys for the Dolphins...which is absolutely wrong.
  6. Joe Rod

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Truthfully, I doubt Miami got the same Jimmy Johnson that Dallas had. They wouldn't have hired that iron-fisted guy to go along with Dan Marino.
  7. Joe Rod

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    It was only an addition to said point, not an attempt to correct or contradict.
  8. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Marino was all for himself and no one could stop him from driving the team to mediocrity to the glory of himself.

I hated Miami when he was there because you could see him killing his own team every year with the same thing that's killing us. One man's immense ego.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,460 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    Jerry is selfish and his ego means more to him than this franchise winning does.

He wants all the glory or no glory at all.
  10. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    McLovin ... your sig is crackin me up dude :)
  11. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've seen this stated twice in this thread now and it isn't true.

The 1940 NFL Championship game: Bears 73 - Redskins 0

That was the largest playoff loss in NFL history.

Just sayin zall. :cool:
  12. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,209 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Ditto. I would love to hear what he has to say about this...of course, whether what he says is the truth or not is another matter.
  13. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Finally it is said!!!
  14. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    I never understood why Jimmy took the Miami gig because they are the Miami Dolphins and we are the Dallas Cowboys.

Like comparing horse manure to ice cream.

And I still look at Jimmy as an ingrate. Every NFL expert looked at Jimmy as a joke to come to the NFL, but Jerry hired him anyway. Then the team goes 1-15 and that just validated that Jimmy was a joke (at that time). I could be wrong, but I don't know of another head coach that has come back to coach a team after a 1-15 season.

Whether Jimmy and his fans like it or not, Jerry Jones was a big part of his career and legacy as a football coach.

For as every bit of an ego that Jerry has had about his relationship with Jimmy, had every bit of that ego. At least Jerry has given Jimmy credit over the years. I have yet to hear Jimmy credit Jerry for hiring him and keeping him after a brutal first season when NOBODY else wanted him.

YR
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    Well, I think it's safe to say that I'm talking Super Bowl years. But if you want to hang your hat on losing 62-7 as being so much better than losing 73-0 back in 1940 (we weren't even in WWII, yet)...knock yourself out.

YR
  16. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,378 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    You know, most team owners would allow even an egotistical coach to strut his stuff without having to steal the spotlight away from him. Tom Benson certainly did not do that to Sean Payton, he allowed SP to have all of the credit he deserves for the Saints' success. So how did Jimmy "rock the boat"? Because he wanted to coach his team his way? Name one coach who doesn't (Jason Garrett excluded). Because he got sick and tired of Jerry constantly taking the credit for deals and players that Jimmy got for us? Is there a reason Jerry couldn't just sit back and let Jimmy bask in the glow and win a few more Super Bowls for him and for us?
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,725 Messages
    2,503 Likes Received
    Jimmy's an egomaniac just as much as Jerry.

Jimmy's draft's were a success in Dallas due in part to the number of picks.

Also two of the main cogs were already here... Irvin & Norton.

And really Aikman was giftwrapped to them.

Jimmy was a very good coach, but I'm not sold on him being some cracker-jack identifier of talent.

His drafts in Miami weren't anything to write home about.
  18. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,380 Messages
    1,649 Likes Received
    Well one thing is for darn sure.

If Jimmy said I'll coach tomorrow he'd have a job in about 10 seconds.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,725 Messages
    2,503 Likes Received
    Jimmy wasn't going to stay here any more than perhaps one more year.

Sean Payton doesn't strike me as being an insufferable egomaniac. Jimmy-- well...
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,822 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    :laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh1: