Jimmy Smith

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CanuckCowboysFan, Feb 16, 2011.

1. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. The Natural

The Natural Benched

6,039 Messages
    2,735 Likes Received
    I'd like it..just from looking at him on film, the size, the intangibles, I thought he was a carbon copy of Nnamdi Asomugha, which is funny that the writer also pointed that out. Tackling and technique is a question mark.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There really isn't any question regarding his tackling; that being he doesn't like to.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

25,615 Messages
    2,478 Likes Received

well then he better be the second coming of Deion Sanders when ti comes to coverage then or I'm not interested in the least.
  5. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,704 Messages
    423 Likes Received

I remember looking for youtube clips of this guy months ago and only finding the Missouri and Cal games and thinking he plays pressman just like Nnamdi does (to me the similarities are uncanny) and thinking to myself that he's aversion to tackling and inability to get off blocks were the reason he wasn't getting much hype.

Then about 2 weeks ago I searched again and found the Oklahoma game. I don't know how that game fits in the chronological sequence of his college career but I thought he was very physical in tackling and made quite a few good tackles in those clips-like a top 10 CB would.

But off all the CBs in the draft he's the guy I want the most. And that was before seeing clips of him actually tackling.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Never questioned Smith's ability to cover, although he shows a lot of poor/lazy technique at times which he's able to get away with lesser competition.

You said it correctly, he has an "aversion" to tackling. Smith like Mike Jenkins can be physical and tackle, problem is he doesn't always make the consistent effort. The Oklahoma game he picked it up a bit to his credit. However, you'll notice he displays horrendous tackling form with his penchant of tackling ball carriers high.

Folks who were left disgusted with Mike Jenkins' ole' episodes better prepare themselves for Jimmy Smith.

Having said all of that, these are all things that can be coached up at the next level. Although, I'm not very confident Campo is the guy I want trying to coach Jimmy Smith up.
  7. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

6,025 Messages
    2,562 Likes Received
    Really, his issue with tackling and getting off blocks (aside from his reluctance) is the same thing, he plays too high. He needs to get lower and explode. He obviously has the power because he re-routes receivers at the line better than anyone I have seen coming out in years.

Honestly though, I don't trust and players from Colorado.
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

12,405 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    give me Brandon Harris instead...he can cover and he is willing to tackle.
  9. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

another scouting report, another comparison to Nmandi. Can't believe how many times I've heard this comparison.

Also, I read somewhere that he was either thrown to or allowed 11 completions all year?

This guy Greg Cox doesn't seem to have an issue w/ his tackling. Not the first report I've read which state the same.
  10. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sounds like Mike Jenkins version 1.2.

Gimme Brandon Harris please.
  11. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    give me

Davon House
    Aaron Williams
    Brandon Burton
    DeMarcus Van Dyke
    Brandon Harris

before we take whats his name
  12. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Didn't we draft a guy named Jimmy Smith before? 2nd round 1992? Maybe we'll have better luck with this one.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, Jimmy "Silk" Smith outta Jackson State. What's crazy is that if had not been for his troubled off-the-field transgressions, he'd likely have a shot at the HOF.
  14. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He had an amazing career in Jacksonville. I just wish he had lasted more than the season or 2 in Big D before becoming a star later on.
  15. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's because he was hurt both seasons as a cowboy. I believe that he broke his leg twice in two years. It looked like he might never play football again, so the Cowboys cut him...and the rest is history.