1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

JJ Watt-The one that got away

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Cogan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Cogan

Cogan Active Member

1,503 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Anyone watch last night's game? Notice any player in particular? Although the Texans continue to load their team with play makers who made plays against the Jets, you just can't help but notice the best player on the field, let alone their team. JJ Watt got to 8.5 sacks in just 5 games with one sack last night, while swatting several passes down, one of them causing an interception. Would he look good with a star on his helmet, or what? It could have happened last year, but once again, Jerry Jones & Co. had put themselves in the position that they HAD to take OT Tyron Smith instead.

What is sad it that the Jones boys are always drafting from behind. Jerry waited too long to draft a LT, so he had no choice by 2011. If the team had drafted Flozell Adams' replacement a year before they released him, the rookie could have been groomed in 2010. Instead, they waited until Doug Free proved he wasn't the answer, & were desperate in 2011 to take Tyron Smith.

That left JJ Watt to go 2 picks later to the Houston Texans. All he's done is become the best interior lineman in the NFL. Can you imagine if the Cowboys had had the freedom to choose the best player regardless of position? Ware & Watt playing side by side? Close, but no cigar.

Ever notice how some teams are always behind in talent acquisition & some are always ahead? The Cowboys, Redskins, Panthers & Rams fall into the first category. That's why this team has been basically .500 since 1995. The Steelers, Patriots, & Ravens fall into the second group. No matter where they pick in the draft, by the time it's over, you look up, & they've outdrafted everyone else because they can take the BPA every time.

I just hope Stephen Jones breaks down and hires a REAL general manager once Jerry REALLY steps down. Until then, the Cowboys will continue to play & draft from behind.
  2. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Dallas got a top notch RT, hopefully he transitions into a top LT.

Switch Watt's 1st and 2nd year and then switch Tyron's first and second year and all of a sudden Smith is the one that didn't get away.

Watt is a monster but Tyron has shown ability to make his pick more than justified.
  4. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,947 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Do you feel better now? I mean there is another thread about this, and probably another one or two in the NFL zone as well. I am happy with Tyron, and glad we picked him. No matter what this team does, some will never be satisfied. They wanted a OL and they got one, and a year later we are looking back? Saying that wasn't the right choice? Give me a break.
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to the draft. It's a crapshoot with uncertain results. We needed both positions filled. We picked, imo, the most important at the time. Romo would be worse off than he already is protection wise had we selected Watt.
  7. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Could you imagine our Oline without Smith. Ooof.
  8. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I like Tyron Smith and i think he will be a good player for a long time. But you can’t help wonder what it would have been like to have a player like Watt on this defense. Don’t think i have ever seen one player take over a game the way he did last night. Maybe had Jerry Jones not struck out for years and years at the O-line position they would have been in a position to draft Watt. Who would you have picked if they were in the same draft, Tyron Smith or Demarcus Ware?
  9. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,550 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received

Defense isn't the issue with our team and you can't pick everyone in the draft. You get one pick in the 1st round, two if you are really lucky. Teams are going to miss on players. I'm sure the Texans have missed on player too. Should we go back and re-evaluate their drafts too? He was also passed up by other teams as well but I love how it always focuses on only the Cowboys.
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I don't understand the point to over reactionary threads like this.

Is watt pretty good? Absolutely. But who knows what the next few years will bring.

Hindsight is 20/20, but this matter has yet to even begin.

Re-visit this in 6 years.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,371 Likes Received
    YES!! Another Watt thread!!! We haven't seen any of those at all in the last 24 hours.
  12. wick

wick Active Member

749 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    We think Tyron Smith can be a good left tackle some day after being a good right tackle last year. J.J. Watt is a great player right now.
  13. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just imagine if we didnt draft Ware and taken Spears.....

Wouldnt that suck....:rolleyes:

We can play this game all nite.....

At least with Smith....we have a OT that has potential to be a top OT for the next decade......so its not like we whiffed on a draft pick ......
  14. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Indeed. It should also be pointed out that there were a fair number of media types at the time who were highly critical of the Texans for passing on Nick Fairley to select Watt. Watt has developed into one of the best defensive players in the league, while Fairley has more arrests in 2012 than he does sacks (2 to 1). :cool:
  15. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It was shown here numerous times that NE drafts havent been that great the past several years.....also....hasnt the Steelers aged to the point that the media is even questioning it now.....how can that be if they draft so great?
  16. Sean50Lee

Sean50Lee Active Member

582 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I love that people bash Jerry all the time but Parcells didn't want to draft Ware.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,830 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    another urban legend. BP wanted Ware; but he thought that Bellicek would trade up to get Spears so he wanted to take Spears at 10 and Ware at 21. BP pretty much wanted Ware; just had the idea that getting Spears was just as important. Now he was wrong on that for certain. And clearly Ware would have been long gone. But the idea that he did not want Ware is total BS.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,830 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    Those morons whining about Watt need to take a long walk off a short pier.
  19. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Greg Ellis over Randy Moss
    Julius Jones over Stephen Jackson
    Felix Jones over Mendenhall

Now I'm not saying Tyron is bad, but damn we have had some major screwups in the draft.:bang2:
  20. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    I still rue taking Mario Edwards instead of Tom Brady..it keeps me up and night.